Cheat DAY works!!! did they work for you too?

Options

Replies

• Jennerkins
    Options
    I suppose it makes sense, because they do say one bad day cannot ruin six good days. I still have a feeling I would feel sick and nauseous if I had a cheat day though.
  • QuestToLose
    QuestToLose Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I cheat once in a while but I do not go over 2000 calories per day. And I have noticed that during the weeks that I do not cheat, I lose about 1 and a half pound that week but when I cheat, I can lose up to 4 pounds in that week. I could not believe it too so I talked to my doctor about it and he told me that it is normal. So that's a bonus but I do not cheat a lot just to lose 4pounds in a week. Weight loss is about determination and discipline and going all out for everything i crave for in a day is not discipline at all and I have taught myself to be better than that.
  • spidertheman
    spidertheman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I suppose it makes sense, because they do say one bad day cannot ruin six good days. I still have a feeling I would feel sick and nauseous if I had a cheat day though.

I felt the same way at first, but that's a good feeling. It'll keep you from cheating 2 days back to back. Eating healthy became such a strict habit of mine that i get a certain feeling that always prevents me from breaking down on any day other than cheat day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I suspect that you are either not eating nearly as many calories as you think on your cheat day. I would also suspect that you are not in a calorie surplus for the week. I would finally suspect that you don't have enough data to make the implication that this is a good strategy for others.
  • spidertheman
    Options
    I cheat once in a while but I do not go over 2000 calories per day. And I have noticed that during the weeks that I do not cheat, I lose about 1 and a half pound that week but when I cheat, I can lose up to 4 pounds in that week. I could not believe it too so I talked to my doctor about it and he told me that it is normal. So that's a bonus but I do not cheat a lot just to lose 4pounds in a week. Weight loss is about determination and discipline and going all out for everything i crave for in a day is not discipline at all and I have taught myself to be better than that.

I agree, and i used to take the whole discipline approach at first too. I just do this now because I've made a lot of progress and it really does make me happy. being able to go to a buffet with all my friends (who are still rather large) and eat the things i used to eat when i was younger without worrying about consequences and being able to stay fit and healthy is just a good time to me. and im not gonna lie, it helps me build more muscle and makes the abs stand out, which also makes me a little happy, lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much whatever I want every day. So for me, there's no such thing as "cheating."
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I agree that a cheat day works, but 8000-13000 calories is a BINGE day. That's not healthy for your body--too much to process. I would stick with the cheat, but don't go so crazy next time lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If cheat meals/days are working for you, good on you. I don't see the point of them, but I eat whatever I want in smaller portions.
  • spidertheman
    Options
    I suspect that you are either not eating nearly as many calories as you think on your cheat day. I would also suspect that you are not in a calorie surplus for the week. I would finally suspect that you don't have enough data to make the implication that this is a good strategy for others.

I also said it may not be for you if you don't like cheat days, but it is true that I can only speak for myself. I also have roughly a 3000 calorie deficit by Saturdays (not including the 3500 weekly deficit to lose 1 lb) from working out since i wait to eat back the burnt calories on my cheat days
  • abadaba
    abadaba Posts: 44
    Options
    I sort of let myself indulge one meal a week, but that's because I actually struggle to get enough calories in, with the amount of exercise I am doing (weird, I know). It has worked well for me. I don't cheat just because--but if there is something I'm really craving, that's my allowance. This past Saturday became a two meal cheat, so we will see if that does any damage at my next weigh in (Saturday).
    I think there was some literature about spiking/shocking your metabolism being good for weight loss?
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat days, and eventually they ended up hindering my progress.

So now we have a n=2 observational study, and the results are inconclusive. Yipee.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I also said it may not be for you if you don't like cheat days, but it is true that I can only speak for myself. I also have roughly a 3000 calorie deficit by Saturdays (not including the 3500 weekly deficit to lose 1 lb) from working out since i wait to eat back the burnt calories on my cheat days

If you're saying that you've built a massive deficit during the week, and then you eat back the majority of this deficit on one day and still lose weight, then yes, that should work. If you're eating so much on your cheat day that you're averaging a surplus intake, you are not going to lose fat long term.

It's important to clarify this so that people don't think that they can disregard energy balance entirely, and just eat whatever at no cost to their progress.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    IMHO eating 8000 to 13000 calories in a "cheat day" binge is really not representative of a healthy relationship with food. Food should NOT be a reward for disciplined eating. There are plenty of other ways to reward yourself.

I personally don't take "cheat" days because in reality I believe I'd only be cheating myself out of progress. I do occasionally eat a couple scoops of ice cream or something on particularly hard workout days to catch up on my calories. However, you've obviously lost a lot of weight and if it works for you then so be it, but I think you should explore your relationship with food a little deeper.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Since I stopped eating candy/cookies/cake because I was too addicted, I don't even want a cheat day. There's nothing I want to eat. :grumble:

I'm right there with you! I can't even force myself to want to cheat right now.....
  • cherylm1888
    cherylm1888 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never deny myself during the week, if I want something I have it - but one day a weekend I let myself eat just as much cheese/pasta as I like. I always find that I can run further and longer the next day. I feel more energetic.

I don't believe in denying myself and taking the joy from food. I couldn't imagine eating 8000 calories in one day though.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I feel this philosophy has kept me from hitting a plateau. For the record, I'm female and 38, so definitely don't have a teenager's metabolism.

I also don't call them cheat days, just "no count" days. I certainly don't eat 8k worth, but just don't worry about measuring or counting for a day or two. For me, I still eat less than what I did before I started losing weight, but don't have craving induced binges anymore, either.

I did this last weekend, and included a milkshake, belgian waffle, tots, bacon, etc. I lost 2.2 lbs last week too.

This works for me, even if it doesn't work for everyone.
  • spidertheman
    Options
    IMHO eating 8000 to 13000 calories in a "cheat day" binge is really not representative of a healthy relationship with food. Food should NOT be a reward for disciplined eating. There are plenty of other ways to reward yourself.

I personally don't take "cheat" days because in reality I believe I'd only be cheating myself out of progress. I do occasionally eat a couple scoops of ice cream or something on particularly hard workout days to catch up on my calories. However, you've obviously lost a lot of weight and if it works for you then so be it, but I think you should explore your relationship with food a little deeper.

I get what you are saying, and this is great advise. I feel as though I've found a good relationship with how i eat at this point though. I do also fit in healthy foods like fruit and vegetables on my cheat days along with my ice cream. though i eat the ice cream by the carton... i do feel energized for the entire wrek after though. I'm an avid runner and I like to do about 10 miles every morning and lift in the afternoons.
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    Yes. It's because it shocks your system. I don't necessarily agree with a once a week cheat day but once every 2 weeks isnt bad.
  • spidertheman
    Options
    I feel this philosophy has kept me from hitting a plateau. For the record, I'm female and 38, so definitely don't have a teenager's metabolism.

I also don't call them cheat days, just "no count" days. I certainly don't eat 8k worth, but just don't worry about measuring or counting for a day or two. For me, I still eat less than what I did before I started losing weight, but don't have craving induced binges anymore, either.

I did this last weekend, and included a milkshake, belgian waffle, tots, bacon, etc. I lost 2.2 lbs last week too.

This works for me, even if it doesn't work for everyone.

I've taken to calling them "Metabolism boost day," or "Metaboost day" for short. i figure "how is it a cheat day if I'm still losing weight?"
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I would probably throw up if I ate that much. I agree a cheat MEAL works - if you go over 400 calories a couple times a week you can rev up your metabolism - that's how I got through a plateau and lost the last 5 pounds.