What will happen if you eat too much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I agree, I think their protein is too low. But I think even lower is their fiber goal! I try to get at least 25g fiber a day, but my goal was set at 14.

Their fiber is way too low. I try to get 30g per day.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You will look like this:

enhanced-buzz-16117-1286564596-19.jpg

/joke

How much are you thinking is too much? Unless you're eating crazy amounts (like more than 200 grams a day) I think you'll be okay.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a recent article in Women's Magazine about protein and weight loss. It says women should have .5-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you're trying to lose weight stay on the lower end of the spectrum and if you're active on the higher end. If you're both, then stay in the middle. And yeah, MFP sets protein way too low. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/protein-weight-loss
  • szartofwar
    Options
    PRotein here is set WAY to low so I wouldnt worry about it...but as long as you drink plenty of water you should be fine
  • atoffan
    atoffan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Agreed. MFP does give low protein. On a given day before exercise my protein is about 5 or 6 grams below recommended amount. And that's just to maintain muscle mass. So when I go over I don't worry about it. Especially if I'm under in carbs, I would rather be over in protein than in fat!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've read that too much protein can be dangerous if you ALREADY have kidney disease. In general, it is HELPS weight loss and blood sugar levels. How much protein a person needs varies from person to person. I'm not sure if there is agreement about setting amounts. Some say make it a percentage of calories eaten and some say it should be a percentage of body weight. Either way MFP's numbers are pretty low and a guideline. I think most of us reset that amount on MFP to suit our own bodies and goals.
  • brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ok so defo nothing to worry about. Just curious, lately I have been feeling very fatigue. I exercise and burn about 200-500 calories say a day (I try and eat some back)and eat 1200 calories a day. Am I eating way too less, along with too less protein??
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You will look like this:

enhanced-buzz-16117-1286564596-19.jpg

/joke

How much are you thinking is too much? Unless you're eating crazy amounts (like more than 200 grams a day) I think you'll be okay.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    MFP should have it red until you go over.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You will never accidentally get so much protein as to cause any problem. Protein is good, and going over MFP's low goals is a good thing.

This.

It is near impossible to reach bad levels through diet alone.

The levels that can be bad for you can be reached by the stupid use of suppliments, going way, way, way beyond even the most aggressive recommendations out there (as in several hundred g a day, every day).

You know there is some idiot out there taking megadoses of protein and curling all day so he can get "mad gunz bro." All that protein *might* not be too good for his system in the long run. If you aren't taking protein like this, the adverse health effects of protein is nothing to worry about.
  • missmatildamoonshine
    Options
    I go over my allowance every day, glad it's not a bad thing!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Ok so defo nothing to worry about. Just curious, lately I have been feeling very fatigue. I exercise and burn about 200-500 calories say a day (I try and eat some back)and eat 1200 calories a day. Am I eating way too less, along with too less protein??

If you are tired it could be an iron deficiency or you could be dehydrated. First, you should know that I am a serial yo yo dieter. Every time that my body feels that I'm restricting calories my body wants to shut down. I feel tired and super sluggish and sleepy. Eventually, my body gets with the program and I feel more energetic. I also take a daily iron supplement because I don't think that I have ever reached my daily iron requirements through diet alone.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If you are tired it could be an iron deficiency or you could be dehydrated. First, you should know that I am a serial yo yo dieter. Every time that my body feels that I'm restricting calories my body wants to shut down. I feel tired and super sluggish and sleepy. Eventually, my body gets with the program and I feel more energetic. I also take a daily iron supplement because I don't think that I have ever reached my daily iron requirements through diet alone.

It's easy to reach your iron in the diet. Eat plenty of potatoes! :smile:
  • brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Options

It's easy to reach your iron in the diet. Eat plenty of potatoes! :smile:

Well I eat lots of potatoes :D So that's good. Been drinking 3 liters of water today. So fingers crossed will start feeling more full of energy!!