Its hard to stick with it!

Options
I have been watching what I eat on and off for 3 years with very little weight loss success. I have been working out consistently until I had foot surgery 2.5 months ago. I now cannot workout at all and my weight has all came back to haunt me again.
My question is.... What do you do that keeps you on your preferred eating plan? I start off with the best intentions and it lasts a week or 2 and I'm back to my old ways. I have completed the insanity workout before I had foot surgery and lost about 5 pounds doing that but I still had a hard time actually sticking to my calorie intake. I generally dont have a hard time sticking to my workouts...its just the diet that kills me. I do eat healthy but I eat way too much of the healthy stuff. Any tips of what you do to stick to your goal??

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    One can never eat to many vegetables..

But seriously there really isn't a magic answer here.. Just depends on how bad you want it.. If you want it bad you will stay committed.. If not I am sure Mc Donalds will take you back...

Sorry to be blunt but in the most primal raw form thats all it is....

How bad do you want it ?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I make out my eating plan at night, before I go to bed. That way, when I get up the next day, I don't need to spend time or energy trying to figure out what to eat.

I love seeing all my macros line up and my percentages getting close to what I want them to be. It's a little like playing a brain teaser game. My husband plays suduko, I fill out my meal plans. Hahaha!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When you say off and on for 3 years...what do you mean? Do you do it for like a month then quit for 11 months and then do it again for a month?

This is a lifestyle change. If it wasn't "hard to stick with it", everyone would be skinny and fit.

You need to figure out if living a healthy lifestyle and having a great body is worth giving up eating so much...if it is not...then eat what you want and be happy...but if it is, then give up the high sugars, and have portion control at first....once you get get that going, you can move on to healthier/cleaner eating and hitting your macros. Once you get that going for a few months, incorporate some excersise into your diet (Cardio AND Strength training). Once you get all of those things working together, you will see amazing results and it wont be hard to keep it going because it will feel natural.

Again, there is no easy out. Off and on for 3 years just tells me you dont want it bad enough.
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have restarted today for the 100th time and we will see how things go. I have a very limited diet due to intolerances and IBS but I am trying to follow a mix of the Paleo and Mediterranean diet. I am unable to workout due to my foot surgery so I know my diet is KEY at this point. I think I have 2-3 more months of no exercise.
  • Tilran
    Options
    One can never eat to many vegetables..

But seriously there really isn't a magic answer here.. Just depends on how bad you want it.. If you want it bad you will stay committed.. If not I am sure Mc Donalds will take you back...

Sorry to be blunt but in the most primal raw form thats all it is....

How bad do you want it ?

THIS! I was typing my huge reply as you replied I guess...but yup...exacttly what I was saying
  • Tilran
    Options
    I have restarted today for the 100th time and we will see how things go. I have a very limited diet due to intolerances and IBS but I am trying to follow a mix of the Paleo and Mediterranean diet. I am unable to workout due to my foot surgery so I know my diet is KEY at this point. I think I have 2-3 more months of no exercise.

weight/fat loss comes from eating at a defecit, you dont need excersise to do that. Obviously excersise helps burn calories and gets you in shape but is not needed. That excuse cannot be your crutch in this one, no pun intended with your foot surgery.

Also, Paleo diet? Why not start on an easier diet...that one is hard to maintain.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Detailed tracking of everything I consume has been the best thing that I've done. I don't stress out about compliance on any individual day but do try to make sure that I stay under my goal for the week. Over time, it just works.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I found that after awhile everything becomes 2nd nature. I am used to eating better and exercising more. I like a challenge and I am winning!!! Stick at it and you will see rewards. Try and take small steps instead of larger ones.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Plan, plan and plan. On sundays I lay out a sketch of meals for the week (flexible, but something to fall back on) and exercise. I plan in splurges, or if an unexpected one comes up, I quickly rearrange my food/workout plan to compensate (I run the morning after any drinking; I go veggie heavy after eating out). But 70% of the time my worst decisions are when I'm hungry and cranky. So I avoid being these at the same time. Planning also allows me to look forward to things that aren't necessarily french fries- I try new recipes 1x a week, or incorporate a healthy favorite for lunch.

Planning makes perfect!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    How about some upper body exercises? If people in wheelchairs can get in a good cardio workout, there should be something you can do to stay fit. Are you in a wheelchair? Maybe you could go outside for a "walk" using your arms to propel yourself around the neighborhood. You could also get some ab work done on the floor with your feet elevated in "V" sits or "L" crunches.
  • aimiemims
    Options
    I have been watching what I eat on and off for 3 years with very little weight loss success. I have been working out consistently until I had foot surgery 2.5 months ago. I now cannot workout at all and my weight has all came back to haunt me again.
    My question is.... What do you do that keeps you on your preferred eating plan? I start off with the best intentions and it lasts a week or 2 and I'm back to my old ways. I have completed the insanity workout before I had foot surgery and lost about 5 pounds doing that but I still had a hard time actually sticking to my calorie intake. I generally dont have a hard time sticking to my workouts...its just the diet that kills me. I do eat healthy but I eat way too much of the healthy stuff. Any tips of what you do to stick to your goal??

Although this is not my experience exactly, this is exactly how I feel today. I just am not sure I can stick with it! I've been eating healthy and working out for 2 weeks now and have lost 8 pounds, but I've done a lot of yo-yoing over the past few years (gain/lose 20-30 lbs). I feel so drained and out of it today. Plus, at my office everyone seems to be eating the most delicous lunches today and my little stinker meal doesn't feel like it cuts it. BUT, I have a plan to run a 10k in October and right now that's what's keeping me going. I don't want to embarrass myself out there (too badly). I have a meal and excercise plan laid out until November 5th and I keep repeating to myself "work the plan". I don't want to quit working out or eating right after the 5th, but it feels more managable to tell myself that I am working toward my November 5th goal. I hope to be 140 by the 5th, which is my goal weight. (I am 162.8 right now). Good luck to you.
  • Bluebox32
    Options

weight/fat loss comes from eating at a defecit, you dont need excersise to do that. Obviously excersise helps burn calories and gets you in shape but is not needed. That excuse cannot be your crutch in this one, no pun intended with your foot surgery.

Also, Paleo diet? Why not start on an easier diet...that one is hard to maintain.

Yes Paleo is not the easiet, plus I only eat fish or chicken. I am kind of mixing Paleo and Mediterranean but I do try to stick to clean eating. I hope I can now stick to this and see some results.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'd say the key is to really WANTING to lose. If you really want this, you can stick with it. I have hard days as well, but I know they will pass and I can make better decisions.

As for eating too much...portion control is king. Put what you need on your plate and no more. If you can't keep yourself from going back for more, then put the extra food away before you sit down to eat your plate. If you're at a restaurant and the plate is too big, ask for a box BEFORE you start eating. Put the extra servings (which most restaurants give you) into the to-go box.

For most, out sight, out of mind works with foods. Don't keep foods out. Put them away and only eat when you are hungry. Not when you are bored. Also, some of us tend to eat fast before our brain can register we're full. If you're a fast eater, slow it down and you'll be surprised how full you get off of less.

But really, it all comes down to how much you want it.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I try very hard to be mindful and present in my life, and that helps to keep me on track with my eating and exercise. I pay attention to how I feel when I eat appropriate amounts of healthy food and work out regularly. I pay attention to how I feel when I eat crap and lay on the couch all day. I use that information to make choices about how I want to feel on a regular basis.

I feel so much better, mentally and physically, when I eat right and work out. I feel like a giant gob of lethargic crap when I overeat unhealthy food and avoid activity.

I like feeling light, energetic, confident and proud. Feeling sleepy, too-full, guilty/embarrassed, slow... not so much.

But others are right, in the beginning, you just have to power through and do the right thing as much as possible to build positive habits into your daily life.
  • MisChef
    MisChef Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i bought a cute skirt in the size i want to be.

All I need to do is fit in that skirt.

When it fits, I've reached my goal.

I keep trying it on, but it doesn't fit yet.... so i'm not done yet.
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    Variety is the key to life, is what they say, it also plays out in our eating. Find a variety of veggies you like, then a variety of ways to fix them. I am also on pinterest, and have found a way I could eat Brussel Sprouts, which I don't really like. If you are not there, check it out, if you need an invite, let me know. Also look at weight watchers recipes, as they are healthy options.
    As far as exercise, can you ride a exercise bike, depending on your limitations, that could get you some cardio in. The other thing is google T-Tapp, it is a exercise dvd, and I believe they have one that can be done sitting.
    Don't give up, you can do it.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    What has helped me so far has been logging things BEFORE I eat them. Sometimes I *think* that I have room to eat something, I add it to MFP.. and nope. I don't. So I'll find another option or eat a smaller portion (or delete something I pre-logged and eat the other item instead).

If I didn't do this I think I'd overeat every day. lol.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    You say you have a very limited diet due to other health issues. Maybe you can turn this to your advantage. I find that having a limited range of foods in my diet helps me to stick with it. I eat nearly exactly the same thing every weekday, with the only variations being the type of fruit I eat or maybe a piece of toast and an egg instead of two eggs.

It's boring, but it works for me. I'm not constantly thinking about what I'm going to eat next because it's the same thing as yesterday. And I don't really get cravings during the week. Mondays are sometimes tough, since I'm more flexible about what I eat on the weekends.

I'd suggest finding foods that work with your other considerations, plan out your menu for the week as others have suggested, and turn your interest to other things.

Good luck!
  • Bluebox32
    Options
    How about some upper body exercises? If people in wheelchairs can get in a good cardio workout, there should be something you can do to stay fit. Are you in a wheelchair? Maybe you could go outside for a "walk" using your arms to propel yourself around the neighborhood. You could also get some ab work done on the floor with your feet elevated in "V" sits or "L" crunches.

I am not bound to a wheel chair at all. I did attempt to workout twice last week which invlovled upper body work, the step and a couple of lunges. I took it easy and my foot was killing me. I had a bone shortened in my foot and the surgery site it about 4 inches and runs from my bigtoe and over the ball of my foot. Currently I have major flexibility issues so even walking at a face pace hurts. I have not worked out since but I'm going to try and see this week if I can do a fast walk.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on both feet in November and luckily didn't gain the weight back - till I got back on my feet :blushing: But the only way to do this is by making the right choice every time. You choose what you eat and how much. By now you know what you should be eating, you have the knowledge just work on the consistency. I don't say this because I have it down myself, I say it because I understand and also have to consciously make decisions all day long. Good luck!