Plus Size Self Esteem

Options

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    OMG I am soooooooo glad to see this topic. My kid thinks "I'm so vain" I've tried to tell him there is a difference. I go out of the house convinced I am "the bomb" and that's how I carry myself. Why should I think any less of myself just because I'm a double digit size (and sorry double 00 is NOT a size).. I dress to fit my size but I can dress cute too. ( I just make sure I cover it up) Ps..I'm 50 next month and have had lots of years to practice "the tude" :)
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    this is actually something I have a hard time with. I have been "big" all my life and well, to be honest, I've always had a great amount of self confidence and self esteem! I think that's actually my biggest problem...I think maybe a little too highly of myself and therefore sometimes don't see the problem.

This LOL!

I almost think I have way too much confidence... I'm a little worried to see my confidence levels once I lose some weight.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Love yourself no matter what weight you're at. It's important. If you think that losing the weight will automatically change that you're in for a big shock. You can lose all the weight in the world and still see nothing but flaws and hate yourself for it.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I was big (16 stone) I thought I was happy and confident, when I lost weight and got to 130lbs I realised I hadn't really been happy, not compared to how I felt slim. I then put back on about 45lbs and felt worse than ever!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i would argue that you've lost the point of the thread. self esteem should not be reliant on looks. what's on the outside of a person will NEVER trump what's on the INSIDE. who i am isn't what i look like. i'm pretty dang awesome. but my outside needs work. that doesn't mean i don't walk tall (very tall, in my case) and it doesn't mean i don't have a lot of fun. it means i'm working on the outside.

needing outside work =/= not being AWESOME.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You can love yourself at any weight and you should. Hating yourself for being overweight accomplishes nothing anyway. It burns 0 calories.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Love yourself no matter what weight you're at. It's important. If you think that losing the weight will automatically change that you're in for a big shock. You can lose all the weight in the world and still see nothing but flaws and hate yourself for it.

yep.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's only when you love yourself (in a non-concieted and arrogant way) that you can only do what's best for you.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Why should I think any less of myself just because I'm a double digit size (and sorry double 00 is NOT a size)..
    That is not ok. Why do you think it's ok to say that someone can't be a certain size? Be comfortable with YOUR size, don't bash others for being what you consider "too small".
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread took a nose dive off the cliffs of negativity.

The reason I decided to lose weight was because I loved myself enough to want the best, healthiest body for me. Still a work in progress, still not happy with my body, but I like it more as my ticker moves forward, and as I try new workouts or learn to cook something new.

Being overweight does not obligate you to hate yourself just like being in perfect health does not make a person lovable. Our inherent value as human beings does not diminish or increase, it just is, and I think a person is truly at their healthiest when they can recognize that gift of worth, accept it graciously, and extend it to others.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Why is it so easy for plus sized people to offend "skinny minnies"? It's like it's okay for you to criticize thin people but, no one should dare ever say anything derogatory about plus sized people.

I find that troubling.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    not to mention you HAVE to love yourself AS IS in order to lose weight to begin with.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I have a large amount of self esteem and enthusiasm in life. I have always been a happy person. I am obese. I know plenty of thin women who talk bad about themselves often, self image, work relations, perception. I don't think self esteem is related to weight.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Ya know what? That's true! Thanks for posting this!! I am not plus-sized, but when I was, I was definitely depressed with low self-esteem. But that doesn't mean that everyone who is plus-size is that way. In fact, people who are skinny or average size have just as many issues with self-esteem and depression as those who are plus size. Thanks for the reality check!! :flowerforyou:
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with weight my whole life, while in grade school, junior high and high school too. Bullied, made fun of-called every name in the book-fat, cow, VIP (Very Ignorant Pig), moose, beached whale............somedays it was so horrible I couldn't face going there, so I didn't , yes I ditched.
    I understand the depression and low self esteem that kind of harrassemnt brings. It took me many years to accept who I am and this is what I look like- and like myself even as big as I was, I am a good wife, mother, grandmother and friend. I decided to make this change and it is not an easy path to stay on day after day but just the other day while in the grocery store a friend who I haven't seen in a while said "Oh my God-I did not recognise you-you look totally differemt", that so made my day and made me see that this path I have choosen is right for me.
    Inside each one of us is the person we are looking for-sometimes they are buried so far that all the "hate" comments we hear keep that person there-trust me I never thought I would loose weight or change but I say if I can take this path and stay on it anyone can.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Since I lost 35lbs (Im currently at 220), I think I have more self confidence now than when I was in high school. It doesnt hurt that my husband is very supportive both verbally and in actions.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    You HAVE to love yourself in order to do what is necessary to get healthy and lose the weight.

I'm a big girl. I've always been a big girl. And I hated my body for years. I hated it and dieted myself up to 370 pounds.

But I have learned to love myself! I love who I am as a PERSON. Not a body. I'm more than my body.

So when I'm on that elliptical, when I'm lifting that weight, when my body says "Stop! Let's just go home and eat a cookie!" I tell it NO. I love myself enough now to be healthy. And I'm learning to love my body as it changes and grows stronger and allows me to do a little more each and every time I step into that gym.

Love yourself. Everything else after that is pretty easy.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Good lord, This thread got ugly. :( love yourself.. plus sized or not! Im a size 16. i'm " plus sized".. I would be so offended if someone seriously came up to me and told me It's SAD that I love myself being that I am " plus sized".. that I am delusional for thinking so much of myself.

So offensive.. people seem to forget..we are all human beings.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    U go u :) ur right!!!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This dude needs to stfu. I want to punch my monitor LOL.