How much do you aim to burn every day?

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 300 and 500. I don't like to set ridiculous calorie burn goals....it's just sets me up to think I can eat a lot of extra crap. I LOVE working out but I have learned for weight loss and/or maintenance it truly is 80% 20% workout. I keep my diet in check and exercise sensibly.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The Sjoe was a give away. Good to see more SOuth Africans here! I am from Cape Town
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    300, 2-4 days a week. I'm really lazy and hate exercise. Me going at all is a miracle.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I aim for 600, four to five days a week.
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    500-1000 4-5 days a wk
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The Sjoe was a give away. Good to see more SOuth Africans here! I am from Cape Town
    Haha a word I use often too. Nice to see a fellow-South African :-)
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I try and burn 3500 a week through exercise, although at the moment its been over 5000 a week, I have been known to spend 10 hours exercising though. :smile:
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When I started in Jun, I was doing about 1000 Cal a week. I have reduced it to 500 Cal a week. That is because -

i) I have started stretching. That means only 90-130 Cal a day
    ii) I realized that I should not put calories in in the first place.

I know you would think that 500 Cal a week is poof!! But I am getting results, at least till now and losing about 2 kgs a month. I am happy with that and don't want to fix anything that is not broken. In the future, if reduction stops, let's see!
  • Girowinters
    Options
    Hi - I aim to burn 300 per day, 7 days a week. I manage this easily by cycling to work and back so not such a challenge. I've just bought a pedometer so I'm trying to keep to at least 10,000 a day by making lots of little increases. But reading other responses I feel like such a slug! And I just ate a chocolate muffin :(
  • RoseG1
    RoseG1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I burn about 250 per day w/ a fast-paced walk every morning. For me it's the consistency that matters. Also, working out first thing in the morning gets your metabolism going.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    8 ball...800 calories!
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i'd like to aim for 400 - 500, 4 days a week.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I track any physical 'exercise' including housework as I have set my setting to sedentary (sit at desk all day and USED to sit on couch all night).

I don't do it so I can eat back my exercise calories but so that I can see exactly what I did to "keep moving".

I have noticed how high some of the MFP burns are for some of the exercises and since it is soooooo off, I ignore it. I noticed that some people enter their exercise and then change the calories burned to 1...I was thinking of doing this.

I track my gym, running, gardening, housework, etc. anything that is not what I used to normally do (which was sit on my @ss)

Basically, the more you move, the more you burn!

Happy burning everyone!
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for 400-500 6 days a week and do a mix of boxing, kettlebells, running, circuit training and walking. I find the variety every week means I never get bored and hopefully keeps my body guessing! :wink:
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    What other's are 'burning' isnt relevant to you. They will be bigger/smaller/older/younger have different goals and lifestyles etc.

If you want to lose 40kg (on your ticker) then focussing on what you eat rather than what you burn will get you there quicker. Of course burning more cals will help too - but harder than just not eating them in the first place!

This is so true!! I'm glad you said it!! I see people logging ridiculous calorie burns, and what a surprise that their ticker is not moving lol!!!! Over estimating calories burned and not controlling their diet!
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    What other's are 'burning' isnt relevant to you. They will be bigger/smaller/older/younger have different goals and lifestyles etc.

If you want to lose 40kg (on your ticker) then focussing on what you eat rather than what you burn will get you there quicker. Of course burning more cals will help too - but harder than just not eating them in the first place!

Good advice!

I am not trying to be rude but I see some calorie burns on MFP that make me almost chuckle. You do not burn 1200 calories doing an hour long Zumba class at the gym! Ya know? Or I seem some people count stuff as a calorie burn that is normal activities of daily living...not exercise.

I think aiming for a TRUE 300 calorie burn (I believe that was OP goal) is a good one! Getting calories under control and burning 300 calories a day is great. I tend to do more because I have turned into a cardio junkie but it is NOT REQUIRED to lose fat.

edit:and I think a lot of heart rate monitors are crap. Good for doing just that...monitoring your heart rate. The calorie burn is often silly high!

So agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 300 and 500. I don't like to set ridiculous calorie burn goals....it's just sets me up to think I can eat a lot of extra crap. I LOVE working out but I have learned for weight loss and/or maintenance it truly is 80% 20% workout. I keep my diet in check and exercise sensibly.

Yup;-)
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm an endorphin junky/gymaholic. I go for 3,000-3,500 a week right now. I workout 7 days a week. And yes I try to eat back my exercise calories. I do spend hours in the gym and I love it. Everyone has their own thing.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I have on during the week I look to do a minumim of 500 a week day and 2/3 times a week in excess of 1000 weekends I like to hit it hard on a Sunday and can do a epic ride of upto 5000 plus but no less than 2000, but as for eating back I don't always and if I do it's somethimes with alot of crap.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

agreed. I only log / track my strength training workouts for the most part and on a good day that's like 83-100 calories for me. My am workouts consist of either cardio or some time of plyometric routine or p90x bonus video & i am loosing inches and gaining muscle. I've been stuck at 122-123 on the scales for the past month but i am liking my figure more & more every day i get up & look in the mirror...

I agree with all the above!, and my own lil quirk is seeing ppl track house work or something they'd be doing anyway. I mean good for you but, house cleaning hasn't helped you thus far, why track it now...? lol

I also think it's silly to log cleaning and such as exercise. I only log solid workouts like if I do a 30 Day Shred, Kettlebell, Dance or Boxing workout. I'm also at a stage where I'm stuck on my weight, but steadily losing inches - so I guess my workouts does help a lot

:) Not to diminish anyones hopes; it just seems silly to me lol, i rarely see it tho.

I will however, find an accurate way to measure how many calories I burn if i play sports or go for an unexpected walk, those are things that i don't do often enough and i'd log them... or vball season - can't WAIT for our churches intermural vb season!!! :D