• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Great Gatsby. Soooo boring!

Agree. 100%.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    don't know if it's a "classic" per se, but Animal Farm.. total waste of time.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm a total classic lit. nerd but I absolutely hate The Catcher In the Rye.... hate. By hate I mean.... hate.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Who said Ayn Rand? You win.
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Classic I hated -The Great Gatsby....to this day I couldn't tell you what that book is about, even though I did actually read it when it was required in high school.

Classic most people hate that I loved-The Grapes of Wrath....not sure why but I enjoyed this book a lot
  • kittyhug1986
    kittyhug1986 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Alas Babylon !!!!
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, now I am being reminded of more I ahd to read - and hated. The Great Gatsby, The Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye. Hated them all.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I hate anything Steinbeck. The Great Gatsby was awful as well. I had mixed feelings about Ivanhoe...the story was good but the language was awful...made things way too complicated.

There was also one with a chick named Eustacia Vye. I cannot remember the name of the book, but it was terrible!

Witchmoo...hated? The Catcher in the Rye is my all time favorite book! I've read it 8 or 9 times and I bought the French version and read that as well to practice my French!

Well I'm learning French too....maybe I should read it again French.....I couldn't like the main character so quite frankly couldn't give a chuff what happened to him......I expected to love it! Having said that many of the 'hated' books on here I loved......different strokes for different folks hey!
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to read Frankenstein and just never managed it. I tried to like it, but didn't. I tried to force myself to finish it, but life's too short.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Anything Tolkien...

I know I'll probably be flamed for that...but I did an extensive Tolkien/Lewis class and Lewis won hands down...

i just can't force myself to read or enjoy Tolkien...

Bwahahaha

I'm re-reading the Hobbit right now!

Ditto! I love Tolkien, but I also love CS Lewis. As a casual observer, they have similar writing styles.
  • Anon4678
    Anon4678 Posts: 37
    Options
    Moby **** made me want to stab my eyes out with a rusty spoon.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles ****inson

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Both were serious snooze-fests for me! :yawn:

Ha ha, they blanked out ****inson.

at least know the name of the author you're going to rip on. :huh:
  • Nicolette_Karls
    Options
    Ouch...I loved pretty much every novel you've all mentioned! Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Scarlet Letter, Great Gatsby. Those were excellent novels!

My least favorite thing I have been forced to read? The Crucible. Now THAT was terrible to read. Especially when you were tested on knowing EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER.

All the others? I enjoyed them. And if you dislike Hawthorne's novels, try his short stories. A million times better; trust me.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare - which is really a play but it was torturious!! (is that even a word?)

My favorites were Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck and Night by Elie Wiesel
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    Howard's End by EM Forster

Read it in English this year for AS English Lit and I didn't feel anything for any of the characters. Nothing. Nil. Zilch. I didn't even dislike them. When I feel nothing, it is a sign I don't like the book - it hasn't moved me at all.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Does the title A Raisin In The Sun ring a bell? I know I've heard of a movie by that title. Something tells me we ahd to read that book too, but I can't remember for sure.

I recall Of Mice and Men.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Paradise Lost. Just could not plod through that one although heaven knows I tried.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    A Catcher in the Rye.

I get that it was a new style of writing. I get that it broke rules of decorum.

I get it.

I was bloody bored to tears.
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    To kill a mockingbird... I loved it the first read, the second time it was ok, the third and fourth time it was horrific. GCSE english class ruined all the classics for me :S
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The Catcher in the Rye, hands down. I love the classics, but I absolutely hated that book!