going to get fired tomorrow

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
so i am pretty sure my job is going to fire me tomorrow.

if you plan on being mean, gtfo, i really need support and don't have any friends that would nearly be close to supportive or understanding because of how hard i really feel i have worked.

it is my relief job. i work on call ****ty hours for these people, have stayed there for doubles when people call in sick. i have been in a fire at this building without any fire training at all, and no debriefing on the situation which DEFINITELY gave me some ptsd because for over a year i have been so pretentious and scared of fire. when my buildings test goes off my heartrate spikes to a billion. i have also been the staff on shift to deal with bomb threats!

i never get called when they have team meetings, i'm relief so i don't see them posted. so i have to track down minutes, dilligently, and try to update myself. they recently even had an online training seminar. i know this because all the staff had an envelope sitting at the front desk with their online login...except for me. i then thought, it must be because i have been in post secondary for 6 years and don't need to know this basic bull****.

i never breach confidentiality, when i always see staff doing it. i never bully others, when i see staff doing it. i never SLEEP on shift, when i actually know staff do it. it is the simplest job and i am way overqualified and tomorrow they want to have a meeting with me and the union steward but won't tell me what it is regarding. i asked "if i am being terminated, i want to know over the phone" and he said "we can't discuss it". i jump to this because they seem to reprimand the good staff.

i recently applied to an internal position, was the only internal applicant (against 3 externals), didn't get it. and when i asked for feedback he said it was because of my absenteeism. i informed him that it is a relief job so i have schedule conflicts at times, and he told me that i need to keep my commitments. fine, fair, i get it. however, not only was i the only applicant that they can check for attendance, but i now feel that this is being used against me. this all happened like, two weeks ago. and right after i had that discussion with hr i sent my manager an email informing her of what happened and how i was getting my **** together and would not miss another shift.

i cried for an hour. waiting until the union steward gets into work, and then am probably going to quit. i don't have the heart in me anymore to fight for this. i have met some of the most incompetent people working in this field and it has all been going downhill for me. i feel like such a useless washup. i put everything into my career.

guess it is true what they say, never put all your eggs in one basket.

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    DON'T QUIT.

Let them terminate you and ask for a reason in writing. Tell the Union you want to grieve it.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i am just so upset.

even when a coworker got sick a few weeks ago, who went out to buy a get well soon card and send it around the office? me. not hr. me

i have advised them of excellent training programs when they talk about going with ****ty ones.

they even hired a new relief staff that started today....i thought it was for extra help. but now that i get the call, it makes sense.

not once have i ever had a feedback meeting, not once!!!!!! and i love them. i am such a dilligent staff member that wants to do well. i even asked them for a reference letter a month ago and they told me they can't give reference letters, and apparently they even told another staff member that they won't even give a verbal reference.

i wanted to build up my career. and the past year i have worked for places that have just been tearing it down. i am so heartbroken.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    also, our union isn't strong at all.

people have been terminated in the past year, but for doing really dumb things, and the union didn't even try to grieve it.

they also knew i wanted to run for union steward cause the guy that is doing it right now hates it.
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    foxyforce - have you discussed this with your HR business partner? Your work conditions sound stressful and maybe they can do something to help you or provide Employee Assistance program benefits.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I hope everything works out for you :(
  • foxyforce
    Options
    foxyforce - have you discussed this with your HR business partner? Your work conditions sound stressful and maybe they can do something to help you or provide Employee Assistance program benefits.

no, this is the first contact i have had with him other than getting that internal interview a couple weeks back. and that was the first time i heard ANYTHING about my absenteeism. this is what relief work is like though! they are reluctant to add people to their call list because they're incompetent. shelters have 10+ relief staff. this place has 3 (that take shifts!). and it is stressful....but i don't even think i qualify for ei because it is such a casual job. i just hope i am not unemployable or something. i can just see myself ending up homeless and claiming to everyone who tries to help me how great my skills are, and all of them smiling and nodding.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. Even with a crappy union you have rights. If they fire you without reason, you have a case for wrongful dismissal.

Even without your union, Ontario has strong labour laws. They have to provide a minimum of 1 week notice, and they need a just cause. They would have had to document (in writing) and discuss with you any wrong doing on your part.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Even if your worst fears of getting fired does not come to be and you are still employed with this company tomorrow.... Start putting your resume out there and scouting out for better positions/companies. It sounds like their morals and ethics are not mingling with yours and you have out grown them :) This is not a bad thing, I just think you may deserve better!
  • bridgeto1984
    Options
    Think positively, don't go in with a defeatist attitude. If you have never been reprimanded for anything before, do they even have just cause to fire you? Research your rights ahead of time.

Then get your resume together, write up a basic cover letter, and really put some thought about what you want to do in life. You can't stay in this job as it is stressing you out. Taking the first step of getting your documents together will help relieve some of the stress.

Good luck!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what type of work do you do?

Sorry for what you are going through, and I hope your meeting tomorrow goes well.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i really have been guys (and gals), i have been on 8 interviews in the past few months. i recently got a call for a position saying they were moving forward with me, and then they completely dodged me (this was weeks ago!!!). and another one last week, they said that i got the job but are just checking references now and my most outstanding ones are all on vacation. thank god i didn't use this place though. hopefully they still go ahead with me.

and i have like 7 reference letters. my portfolio. and a strong skill set. but it is all worthless because it doesn't amount to ****! i need to wipe my tears and just bite the bullet and start applying for minimum wage ****. life didn't go as i had planned, story of everyones life i guess.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    i pmed you..

and it seems they are giving you a weingarten meeting..
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Just curious, what type of work do you do?

Sorry for what you are going through, and I hope your meeting tomorrow goes well.

i work in the social services. right now i work at an emergency shelter with homeless individuals and an addictions centre, which is the one that is gonna meet with me.

and my whole thing is that these places are really incompetent. i actually had a supervisor, at the emergency shelter, go on to the intercom and say "attention residents, i don't want trouble on my shift, if you want to drink, go drink, come back on the next shift. if you want to cause trouble, don't cause it here. i want peace. come back on another shift" they are all ****ing crazy, and i get reprimanded.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    my main goal was to get far enough in this field, to hold enough ground, so i can walk into any of these shelters and if i see staff treat a homeless person badly to correct the situation. these people have nothing and they are constantly mistreated. the homeless sector is THE WORST.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think you would regret it if you quit. Fight for yourself and when you have exhausted everything within your power then you can say you gave your everything!
    Give yourself more credit. You sound like a good employee, at least give your best for yourself as well ;)

Everything happens for a reason. Everything negative in my life has brought me to where I am today. 3 great kids. Divorced parents who both sit for me and are remarried to great people. I got fired from a crap job that lead to a great job I had 10 years, which lead to a fascinating job I had for almost 3 years! I then started daycare and had a third child, wouldn't have in the normal job situation. Everytime my daycare changes and I pannick, as soon as I give up control and accept it, something better than what I had comes along. In the meantime I try to accept I needed to slow the pace for a bit and relax my super crazy life.

It will work out!!!!!!!! It will be ok and what is meant to be will happen. Maybe it will work out or maybe it won't. But I would say don't quit, let the cards fall where they may around you, but don't quit!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Don't stress this. If they are about to fire you, it sounds as if you are better off. Don't quit because you can't collect unemployment or anything. If they do fire you, call an attorney. If you don't have the cash, try seeing if their are Legal Aid services in your area.

File for unemployment. You will be turned down. Go back and file for an appeal. Insist on a face-to-face hearing. You do not want to do this by phone. Try your best to get some legal representation. There are several things about your story that you can sue for, such as the PTSD stuff.

Don't let this go! Some of the worst mistakes I made when I was young was not fighting back when I needed to.
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Dont quit. If they fire you atleast you can collect unemployment. If this is just an imporvment meeting or whatever get your bootie out there looking and leave while you still have a job. I worked as a paraprofessional in a school, I knew they were going to fire me because they treated me like such **** they wanted me to quit. When I got let go I got every penny from unemployment and got my bachelors in psychology within a year. now I have a decent job and want to get my masters in education so they can all shove it. Make them look like fools!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    i pmed you..

and it seems they are giving you a weingarten meeting..

I :heart: this guy! Definitely talk to him!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Don't stress this. If they are about to fire you, it sounds as if you are better off. Don't quit because you can't collect unemployment or anything. If they do fire you, call an attorney. If you don't have the cash, try seeing if their are Legal Aid services in your area.

File for unemployment. You will be turned down. Go back and file for an appeal. Insist on a face-to-face hearing. You do not want to do this by phone. Try your best to get some legal representation. There are several things about your story that you can sue for, such as the PTSD stuff.

Don't let this go! Some of the worst mistakes I made when I was young was not fighting back when I needed to.

even after the fire incident i sent my own individual long incident report explaining the situation directly from my perspective, even about how the executive director had to come in, because it iwas a fire, and i told him i haven't had fire training and he said "don't tell them that", referencing the fire department. i just don't even know what to do with thi sinformation. and this is a big non-profit, i don't think i can sue or win. i don't want to slander, but biggest non-profit out there, kind of culty.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Don't give them that satisfaction. If you only have to wait one day until this meeting, make sure you breathe and collect your thoughts. And go in there with your head held high knowing that you did your job and that they're the ones that lose.

Also, I'd keep that whole thing about not having the fire safety training as back-up. I don't know how you feel about blackmail, but I'm pretty sure that if you say you'll go public about it that they might have to at least pay you off to keep that information quiet. Companies don't like negative reputation, especially when they screwed something up.