BCAA's...

Options
2»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I encourage everyone to look into BCAAs. What they are and what foods they are in.
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Working out fasted means without any food, I do leangains so I stop eating at 6pm and then workout in the morning on no food and then eat my first meal at 10am.

I've heard that working out on an empty stomach is better for higher calorie burn, just afraid I may pass out :-\
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    not to sound harsh but if you are not 100% sure about the ingredients that go into these products, what they do and how they work they you should not be buying them and just save your money for the time being.

I really suggest you watch the 2 youtube vids I posted.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I've yet to see a good reason to get BCAAs, but there are plenty of promising results from supplementing creatine.

I've read that Creatine is bad for the liver, hence why I don't want to take it. The Whey Protein I drink contains Glutamine, but one of the women at my gym told me to really look into BCAA's and Creatine.

Web M.D. has a list of side effects, and states how rare they are.

Once you've found out what BCAAs are, take a look at the amino acid profile on your whey protein.
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    not to sound harsh but if you are not 100% sure about the ingredients that go into these products, what they do and how they work they you should not be buying them and just save your money for the time being.

I really suggest you watch the 2 youtube vids I posted.

Definitely watch them when I get home. Thanks
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Definitely appreciate all the feed back, between being told to take fat burners, BCAA's and other supps, drink 3 liters of water a day etc etc etc my head spins lol. I like to get opinions on here seems like people know what they are talking about, I've got a lot of weight to lose before I see the complete benefits of weight training but I also know it's an essential part of my fitness goals.

My actual opinion is that you should keep your money, ignore unqualified sources and just eat food.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I was doing Leangains for a while and bought some Optimum Nutrition BCAAs to take during my fasting window. Honestly, I'm unclear about what the science really says about their benefits, but I can tell you for sure that those things taste like *kitten*!!! They are HORRIBLE, and I couldn't find anything to mask the taste. After a few days, I decided life is too short to be miserable! :drinker: ....the canister is still sitting in my pantry.

Haha yeah most Optimum Nutrition stuff tastes like butt. I found some that taste great! No joke. They're by muscle sport international, called bcaa revolution or some called aminocore by nutracore nutrition.

Amino acids are best used when working out fasted (working out without eating anything before, usually this occurs in the morning). So it allows the body to use more fat as energy and protects muscle tissue from being used as an energy source. Hence it's anti-catabolic nature.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Definitely appreciate all the feed back, between being told to take fat burners, BCAA's and other supps, drink 3 liters of water a day etc etc etc my head spins lol. I like to get opinions on here seems like people know what they are talking about, I've got a lot of weight to lose before I see the complete benefits of weight training but I also know it's an essential part of my fitness goals.

You don't have anymore weight to lose than I do, and I saw the most weight loss when I started incorporating weight training, I wouldn't rule it out.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Don't complicate it hon. You'll drive yourself crazy and get overwhelmed. Just start with this:

1. Lift heavy stuff
    2. Eat plenty of protein
    3. Make reasonably healthy food choices
    4. Keep hydrated and get adequate rest

From there, you can tweak things as you go. You don't have to do everything perfectly to start getting results. :flowerforyou: