When you say "cheat day", what *exactly* do you mean?

Options

Replies

• dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I dont do cheat days. However, when I went on vacation, I ate a nutritious breakfast and then didnt calorie count the rest of the day.

If I am planning to go out to eat at night, I preplan my dinner menu from the restaurant's online nutrition info and enter it first thing in the day and then just work the rest of my day around it so I'm still under goal. Also keeps me from opening the menu and being tempted by other options. I dont consider it a cheat meal because I just shifted most of my calorie intake to dinner instead of spreading it thru out the day.

It's just become habit for me to stay within my goal and still get some goodies in every day.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I don't ever consider anything I do as a "cheat" because I log EVERYTHING! The good, the bad & the ugly lol. I do allow myself to indulge in cravings--but I usually try to earn them or at least make them up with exercise & good choices! I think "cheat" is used for a lot of different meanings, but I think we're all here to be honest about our habits & getting healthy so let's learn from our choices, make the best decisions we can & try to improve our lifestyles & our health! (:
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't think of dieting at all on cheat days eat whatever I want and don't log it
  • liketoyak
    liketoyak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, but I do plan a treat meal once a week. I record everything and move on.
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Okay waitaminnit. "Cheat" days are about calories? It has nothing at all to do with marriage and fidelity?

That explains a LOT. I kept hearing people talking about having cheat days once a week (usually on Saturdays) and that sounded TOTALLY excessive to me...

Haha Well.. I'm sure there are other groups out there who would condone this as well... but you know, sex does burn calories, so whatever tickles your pickle I suppose?
  • Scott277
    Scott277 Posts: 63
    Options
    I have one cheat MEAL a week, for example if im out for dinner I will just get something unhealthy if I fancy it. But i still eat my regular foods the rest of the day. If im not out for dinner I will normally just have a cheat meal if I see friends and we get a pizza or something on a fri/sat...nice little reward for the weeks hard work.

to be honest it makes me feel stronger and motivates me to get cracking on the next weeks workout!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have a very successful bodybuilder roommate and he takes an entire day once a week to eat whatever he wants. This usually consists of 2 meat-loaded frozen pizzas and a whole tub of ice cream. Then again, he's in maintenance, not trying to actively lose weight, so take that with a grain of salt.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i dont have a cheat day i work too hard to be screwed at the end of the week because of weakness
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I don't log anything that day, I don't even exercise (re: I don't go to the gym). I might go out for dinner, go out to the bar, eat some ice cream, etc, without measuring my intake. It hasn't hindered me at all...I've lost 20+ pounds thus far, and I'm a mere 10 pounds away from my goal :)
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i dont have a cheat day i work too hard to be screwed at the end of the week because of weakness

I have cheat days for the exact opposite reason. I know I have weaknesses despite working hard... and I also know that personally if I don't let myself enjoy treats now and then I will stop working towards my goal and eat anything I want every day and gain back all the weight I worked so hard to lose just because denying myself foods that make me happy would make me even weaker than if I just gave in to them now and then.
  • amberlongsine
    amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is once a month. I eat whatever I want, however much I want, as often as I want. I exercise the same as I would any day. I usually do like a doughnut for breakfast, a candy bar for a snack, pizza or Chinese food for dinner, ****s for lunch. I go all out. But for me, It holds my cravings at bay for the rest of the month. I know it sounds awful and it's probably why my body has so many issues, but I don't feel deprived of treats. Im really good at portioning out my cheat day. I don't get another cheat day until closer to the end of September. But if you were curious, feel free to add me :)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    a whole day of not caring what I really eat and preferably eating something I've been craving lately. I still log it all though or try to anyway.
  • amberlongsine
    amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is once a month. I eat whatever I want, however much I want, as often as I want. I exercise the same as I would any day. I usually do like a doughnut for breakfast, a candy bar for a snack, pizza or Chinese food for dinner, ****s for lunch. I go all out. But for me, It holds my cravings at bay for the rest of the month. I know it sounds awful and it's probably why my body has so many issues, but I don't feel deprived of treats. Im really good at portioning out my cheat day. I don't get another cheat day until closer to the end of September. But if you were curious, feel free to add me :)

Oh that's funny. It stars out d.i.c.k.s. lol it's a famous fast food joint in Seattle. :P
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    i dont have cheat days, those can get dangerous! I have cheat meals & i only take them once in a blue moon. It's where I go out to eat & basically dont count. I honestly dont have a lot of those. If the cals are listed, I will look at the site and try to make a good decision & everything fit w/ macros and stuff. I'm an awful cheater lol
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I do one cheat meal every second week. it usually includes dessert.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I consider it a day of "increased calorie intake," regardless of the food that I put into my body, whether it's an increase of healthy alternatives or unadulterated indulgence, I still log it [as best I can].
    I think this is a good definition......Make it stress free, but not gluttonious ......do use portion sense.....It is not a day to just "stuff your face" as the saying goes... Enjoy it, but don't go crazy! and don't send yourself on a guilt trip!!

It's good to pay attention to your tendencies and what your body may be telling you....listen...you will learn a lot
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i eat as healthy as possible everyday and always make my food at home. so for me a cheat day is where for 1 day nutritional value doesn't matter, i can have alcohol / fried food /fast food anything. BUT i always always make sure i stay in my calorie goal. its a cheat day not a sabotage day!
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually mean one day where I don't worry so much about what I am eating. I log it but if i go over, i go over. It keeps me from restricting too much, stressing too much, and feeling like i'm giving up so much that I'm not enjoying it anymore.

^^^this
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are days of eating what you want without worrying about calories. But..I have heard many suggest a cheat meal as being better..because an entire day of free eating can translate into weight gain.. where in one meal you can't do any real damage.
  • Cdngal08
    Cdngal08 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    eat what i want with no guilt...not every week, but once and a while