Pepper spray or stun gun?

Options

Replies

• AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The fact that people think what she is wearing could influence whether she is attacked or not is ridiculous and offensive. So would that make it understandable if she was attacked when she was wearing running shorts and a sports bra?

Wow people, really?
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    another vote of Gracie Brazilian jiu-jitsu, women's empowered course is pretty good if you just want women's self defense but the Gracie Combatives is a good too because it covers everything.

One thing with self defense courses is you need to practice it regularly to stay sharp and build reflexes. But luckily, Brazilian jiu-jitsu is an amazing workout! Check out the calorie burn myfitnesspal has it at and I believe it - after each session I'm pooped and my core hurts!
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I regularly run in the same place Chelsea King was taken in broad daylight, and more frequently run at night along the Coast Highway.

I have a compact Sabre pepper spray, but admittedly am not confident I could get to it in time.
    http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Compact-Pepper-Spray-Pink/dp/B001CZ9MRY

At night on the road I carry a small LED flash light, partly so motorists can see me (also a red flashing light on my back), partly so a potential attacker knows that if I am attacked, I'm more likely to see and be able to identify him. In my mind the guy who sees a lady running with a light is going to look for an easier target.

Ideally I'd love to find a compact flashlight-pepper spray combo with a wrist strap. An integrated HRM would be nice too. :D
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well, just make sure you wear more than your bra, like in your photo here. You don't want to draw unwanted attention... Don't jog alone, don't take the same route every time, wear a whistle, take your phone with you, don't go after dark and I'd get the pepper spray. They have some that unclips very easily.
    Stay safe.

That's right because wearing revealing clothing turns normal, well-adjusted, non-rapey men into sex-crazed attackers.
    <gag>
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Get the most powerful weapon that your state allows you to carry, that is still light enough to jog with.

If it is constantly windy in your area, that is something to keep in mind, and counts against pepper spray.
    Pepper spray has the ability to deter a group of attackers in a way that stun guns cant.
    Stun guns are not legal in all states, so check your local laws.
    Stun guns have the disadvantage of having to be in very close range of an attacker.

If you can legally carry a firearm in your state, that is your best bet. If not, i'd carry BOTH pepper spray, and a stun gun, and possibly something brutal on your keychain, as has been suggested.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well, just make sure you wear more than your bra, like in your photo here. You don't want to draw unwanted attention... Don't jog alone, don't take the same route every time, wear a whistle, take your phone with you, don't go after dark and I'd get the pepper spray. They have some that unclips very easily.
    Stay safe.

That's right because wearing revealing clothing turns normal, well-adjusted, non-rapey men into sex-crazed attackers.
    <gag>

:flowerforyou:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just remember, any weapon or item you carry for protection has the possibility of being used against you if you're not cautious...

Also, I don't run with earphones in, I like to be able to hear people/dogs/cars approaching...

This. I can't stress enough how important it is to know how, and be prepared to use whatever weapon you use and also, to know their limitations. Don't become to reliant on either as they both are not foolproof.

Stun guns are pain compliance only. This does not stop everyone. And if you are close enough to use it, you are too close if it fails. Taesrs are not only pain compliance, they actually cause immobilization for the duration of the application. In order for tasers to be effective, you need to make sure you get a proper hit with them, both prongs in, otherwise it is the same as a stun gun. You also have to be able to access and use it.

Mace or OC spray is also only pain compliance although there is some involuntary reactions like watery/closing eyes. This does not work on everyone, particularly goal oriented people. People can still fight through it. People on drugs and sometimes alcohol aren't as affected by it. The biggest issue with this type of weapon is the risk of cross contamination. It is very likely that you will get yourself to some degree, part of the reason why Police are sprayed during training. Ending up with a face full of pepper spray is not what you want when you are fighting someone. Things like wind and rain can affect the use of it. Also, you need to get it directly in the eyes, which can be problematic. It does have a bigger distance of use than the stun gun, probably similar to a taser.

Both weapons have their places. Its your choice, but neither are foolproof.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Besides, how many attackers are going to come directly at you to give you the opportunity to use a weapon? More than likely they would catch you unaware... Or jump out from a concealed area. In that situation, most times weapons are effectively useless.
    That's what situational awareness is for. You can also pick your jogging route so that you avoid any potential ambush locations.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You're gonna love my answer...
    Dogs do not scare me. Grown men with nothing better to do than sit around and wait for me to run past scare the bee-jeegers out of me! We have a great deal of gang activity in our town and it is all but impossible to find a place to run that is not dangerous. My weapon of choice for running is a Kel-Tek 380. I just strap a holster around my ankle to hold the piece. For some reason, the sound of a round sliding into the chamber is enough to dissuade most idiots ;)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Besides, how many attackers are going to come directly at you to give you the opportunity to use a weapon? More than likely they would catch you unaware... Or jump out from a concealed area. In that situation, most times weapons are effectively useless.
    That's what situational awareness is for. You can also pick your jogging route so that you avoid any potential ambush locations.

One of the reasons I love running with my dogs (well, my Shepherds). I do NOT rely on them for protection (even though both GSDs were bred and have some training for protection work), however, they are very good at alerting me to what is around and they are a deterrant.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Great gun to run with, or for any personal protection

Smith and Wesson M&P 340. Weighs about 15oz empty and is small for easy concealment.

It fires .38 caliber rounds for target practice, and .357 for protection. Believe me, if you hit someone with a .357, they're done.

The model is also hammerless so that it doesn't catch on clothing and holsters at all.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_792048_-1_757912_757910_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    Dogs do not scare me. Grown men with nothing better to do than sit around and wait for me to run past scare the bee-jeegers out of me! We have a great deal of gang activity in our town and it is all but impossible to find a place to run that is not dangerous. My weapon of choice for running is a Kel-Tek 380. I just strap a holster around my ankle to hold the piece. For some reason, the sound of a round sliding into the chamber is enough to dissuade most idiots ;)

And yes, I do have firearms training and a concealed carry permit.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    I only run in well lit, populated areas. Yeah, I'd love to run on a trail by myself, but I'd rather not risk it. I also question my ability to use pepper spray or a stun gun properly if attacked.

Agreed. Besides, how many attackers are going to come directly at you to give you the opportunity to use a weapon? More than likely they would catch you unaware... Or jump out from a concealed area. In that situation, most times weapons are effectively useless.

We have the predators who are apparantly a very special kind of stupid, because they will walk right up to you in broad daylight on a public street. No bush jumping or hiding or anything like that. I have become well known enough that all I need to do now is reach for my pant leg.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I carry one of these:

tmbn_New20Products.jpg

It's very light and can fit in a pocket; you stick your fingers through the eyes and use it like brass knuckles. :flowerforyou:
    Where'd you get those? They're adorable.
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I carry one of these:

It's very light and can fit in a pocket; you stick your fingers through the eyes and use it like brass knuckles. :flowerforyou:
    Where'd you get those? They're adorable.

Online; if you google 'Wild Kat Keychain', a couple different places will pop up.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

If you carry a firearm, I would highly recommend you reconsider your position on racking a round scaring someone off. Most of the time, you will not have time to rack a round. You need the weapon to be ready as soon as you pull it out. There was a story of a man attacked at a gas station in Ohio. He said on a CCW forum that had he not had a round chambered, he would not have been able to do so and still fend his attacker off with his other hand while readying his firearm. It can be intimidating at first but it's something, in my opinion, you should get comfortable with.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

If you carry a firearm, I would highly recommend you reconsider your position on racking a round scaring someone off. Most of the time, you will not have time to rack a round. You need the weapon to be ready as soon as you pull it out. There was a story of a man attacked at a gas station in Ohio. He said on a CCW forum that had he not had a round chambered, he would not have been able to do so and still fend his attacker off with his other hand while readying his firearm. It can be intimidating at first but it's something, in my opinion, you should get comfortable with.

Another great reason for revolvers for concealed weapons. No safety to fumble with, all round are already technically chambered, it's always at the ready.

And especially with something like a small .357, you're not going to need a large magazine of rounds, 5 rounds of .357 should be able to drop and kill any attacker. I'm of the mind also that if someone is attacking you, you better kill them if you have a firearm, none of this "shooting to disable" nonsense.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Another great reason for revolvers for concealed weapons. No safety to fumble with, all round are already technically chambered, it's always at the ready.

And especially with something like a small .357, you're not going to need a large magazine of rounds, 5 rounds of .357 should be able to drop and kill any attacker. I'm of the mind also that if someone is attacking you, you better kill them if you have a firearm, none of this "shooting to disable" nonsense.

Love revolvers.

Shoot to kill might end you up in a jail cell. It should be more like "shoot to stop the threat", aiming for center mass of course. Once you're no longer in danger of bodily harm, it's best to stop shooting. If the attacker lives or dies because of his injuries, that's his problem.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Besides - sounding an alarm is the fastest way that doesn't require you to have a good aim. You can just pull it, and get to a well-lit area as soon as possible - and keep the pepper spray for if it gets to close quarters (which really you want to avoid at all costs).

Good advice, but OP already mentioned that she is running in areas where the nearest houses/lights might be a great distance away. "In space, no one can hear you scream".

Now, a rape alarm with a built in mace dispenser - now we're talking. Start bringing on the noise, then if necessary bring on the (painful) funk!

A stun-gun is a very close-in self-defense weapon. By the time someone is that close to you, you may not have enough time to actually use it.

I'd generally advise against a firearm as a primary means of self-defense. Not because I'm against guns, but because in a close-in self-defense situation you WILL have to take your attacker out all the way, and many people faced with the prospect of actually killing someone will hesitate. That hesitation might be enough for the attacker to overpower you.

Plus, if a mace dispenser goes off accidentally in the holster, you've ruined a workout outfit. A gun? That could get a little more ugly.

Additionally, a mace dispenser is easier to conceal, weighs less, usually requires no specific permits (check your local laws), and has non-fatal consequences in a case of mistaken intent.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm going to re-suggest the self defense classes. Not only is it great exercise, but being trained myself, I can verify that it takes very little to deter someone. Will it help you if they have a gun? No. But let's face it - that that point, you're probably already in trouble. Whether you decide to carry a stun gun, a regular gun, or pepper spray, a basic grounding in getting out of holds and painful places to put your fingers or feet will at least give you a chance to get away if they manage to get a hold of you anyway.