Does This Make Me a Bad MFPer?

Options
13»

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,085 Member
    Options
    This site seems to take all kinds. Quiet types just looking to lose weight, attention *kitten* battling daily for validation in the "hottest" threads, and then people like me... observing these behaviors, appreciating the eye candy when it pops up, and thanking those who come up with truly creative things to make me laugh.

Game on.
    Agreed!

If your MFP friends weren't happy with your level of input, they can always hit the "gone" button.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    This site seems to take all kinds. Quiet types just looking to lose weight, attention *kitten* battling daily for validation in the "hottest" threads, and then people like me... observing these behaviors, appreciating the eye candy when it pops up, and thanking those who come up with truly creative things to make me laugh.

Game on.
    Agreed!

If your MFP friends weren't happy with your level of input, they can always hit the "gone" button.

UncleMac gives me plenty of attention with that beauty in his profile pic!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the people on your friends list are most likely just like you or have another group of friends on their list that like their diaries and all that detailed stuff you cant do on the app.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. At first, I commented on people's stuff all the time. But then my FL grew. Now, I might 'WTG!' when someone loses, I might peek at their diaries, I'll comment on really big cal burns, but rarely if ever do I seek these kinds of posts out. I try to comment just because so many comment on mine. But in reality, that notification on my phone isn't going to motivate me anymore than I can motivate myself.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings so pretty much no alerts about me losing weight or working out or completing food diary are ever posted to my wall. I don't post on any of my friends posts, and they do not have the opportunity to post on mine so I don't feel bad.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings so pretty much no alerts about me losing weight or working out or completing food diary are ever posted to my wall. I don't post on any of my friends posts, and they do not have the opportunity to post on mine so I don't feel bad.

Then, why have friends? You are not being FAIR to them!!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Yes. This makes you a horrible MFPer. How dare you? Shun!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Is the validation of strangers on the internet the thing that really motivates them to get up and start moving?

Is it just me?

Could be the hand jobs?
    Also, this ^
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If people never ever comment on my stuff, I delete them. Unless they're super hotties.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I like being invested in my MFP friends by knowing their individual goals and personalities. They seem to appreciate it. Quite honestly, I get as much out of it as they do. Plus, it allows for a good exchange of information and leads to interesting friendships.
    Edited by Spartan_Maker on Tue 08/21/12 09:36 AM

(I don't know how to do the post/copy thing -- but Spartan_Maker is my MFP friend and he is a good friend to have :-))

Seriously, in this day and age of technology we all know people better via virtual relationships. Cousins, aunts, uncles; many of them our relationships primarily exist via Facebook and e-mail.

At MFP we are all a community of mutual or similar goals - improved health. The cliche "There is Power in Numbers." resonates for a reason.

Regularly I look forward to regular posts, updates, and support from my hand-selected team of "friends." Allow yourself a few friends with whom you can relate and engage. I think you may find a greater understanding of the power of MFP. It's not just about counting calories.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    "Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends?"

Ugh. Are there any other lyrics to that song?
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options
    I love to motivate my friends and they re equally motivating and supportive and so fun to chat with. I love them all. :love:
    I guess Im one of the "attention *kitten*" that lady spoke of. LOL
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Nope, you are not a bad MFPer.

Some people need that extra encouragement... that extra lift... the inspiration that comes from knowing someone else is going through the same struggle you are...

I, personally, do not post on food diaries. At all. As of late, don't post much of anything. But I do tend to try to post positive and encouraging status updates at least once a day. The rest of the time, I'm just goofy or silly. I've made some friends... some I would even consider good friends... and some that just give me an ego boost by telling me how beautful I am. LOL
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    nope, it doesn't.... different things motivate different people.. some like to read, and some people do enough talking for everyone :tongue:

I like your profile pic, although of the two miser brothers, Heat miser is my favorite :D
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I normally delete this type of MFP friend because I am not looking for quantity, rather quality friends.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That sort of motivation is unnecessary for me too. IRL I don't like/need people to congratulate me for a job well done. It's a sweet thought and all, and intellectually I appreciate it, but it does nothing for me.

Also, with the MFP crowd specifically, my goals aren't really aligned with the majority. I don't have much weight to lose and I'm sure there are a lot of people on here (at least there are a lot of them on the forums) who think that either a. my goals are less important or perhaps not important at all, b. my goals are unhealthy, or c. I'm going about it the wrong way (AKA: GO PALEO, vegetarians are loooosers!). So there aren't many people who would identify with my fitness goals and methods enough to even be able to be encouraging.

MFP is what you make of it. Unless you troll or are consistently hurtful toward others, you aren't a "bad" MFPer, imo.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I like a few others on this post like to invest time and effort into my friends list. Over 10% are people I know in real life and the others I probably won't meet but wouldn't have qualms over meeting if we happen to be in the same location.

I always welcome new additions to my FL with a private message, to find out what they are trying to achieve and let them know a little about me. I also prefer to use first names and currently I think there is only one on my FL that hasn't told me but she will :laugh:

I would call myself a supporter more than motivator and will comment on most posts, as I think an atta girl/boy gives that little bit of a boost.

Andy
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    nope, it doesn't.... different things motivate different people.. some like to read, and some people do enough talking for everyone :tongue:

I like your profile pic, although of the two miser brothers, Heat miser is my favorite :D

there's always one... LOL :laugh: j/k I like the cold personally so I can relate to him better.. (plus he's thin...wait ..what?? :huh: ) :happy: