Sabotaging Myself at the End of the Day

Options

Replies

• MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but, thankfully, not every night. But when I do, I crave savouries rather than sweet - cheese, crisps that kind of thing. I just don't keep crisps in the house now so that solves that one, but I'm not the only one in the household so I can't "do away" with cheese! I'm trying some "low-low" mature cheese spread which is 40% less fat - if the urge comes upon me but what I try to do is have a little cheese with a mini oatcake - I find the mealiness satisfying. I will put it on a plate maybe with a tomato, and go and sit down and eat it in an aware way, then hope I'll be too lazy to go get more! I also find a glass of sparkling water with a slice of lemon helps too.
    As far as chocolate goes I keep a bar of dark 70%, ideally the orange & spice one, broken up into squares, in a container in the freezer. It's a bit more hidden than in the fridge (so it's not constantly calling to me!) and when I have a square it takes a little longer to eat - it has to melt in your mouth first, but it doesn't seem to spoil it.- I suppose the only danger is that it will make it into the freezer in the first place!

Good luck everyone!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Self control is not a strong point of mine. Up until a couple of years ago, I could eat what I wanted with no effect, so its not something I ever really needed to develop when it came to food.
    I don't have much to lose, I just want to get a bit leaner and more toned.
    I've been on MFP for a month now and its working really well for me - BUT I have one problem.
    I can do so well during the day, healthy breakfast and lunch, minimal snacking (always my downfall in the past), no cravings, no problems. Get home, eat dinner and then the cravings start. They are completely in my head, my stomach can feel physically bursting, but my head is saying 'eat, eat, eat'. It happens if I ate a healthy meal, it happens if I ate a 'cheaty' meal and its driving me mad because I cant seem to control it. Some days I can get away with eating some fruit and it will go away, but yesterday I just lost it and ended up eating 2 pancakes with jam and icecream, 3 rows of chocolate, a piece of cheese and a popsicle. TOTALLY blew out my calories and I had been doing so well until about an hour before bedtime, I wasn't even hungry but I just couldn't stop myself.

I dont think its because I'm depriving myself during the day - I actually stood in front of the vending machine at work yesterday and looked at the kit kats (which I used to go crazy for) and didn't want one at all. I was on 1400 cals a day and it was a bit tight some days, so after dropping a couple of pounds I changed it to 1600 (1/2 pound per week) to give myself a bit more room, but it hasn't helped.

What to do? I'm sure I just need to man up a bit and develop some self control but any advice would be appreciated...its so depressing to see a days hard work go down the drain in a matter of minutes :(

I suggest you insure you are getting enough protein and fat to balance out those hormones.

Many people, including myself, have dealt with this exact same thing and switched to low carb. Those undeniable cravings are hormonaly driven. Protein and Fat really helps to get those under control. Carbohydrates tend to do the opposite.

Look into going low carb, moderate protein and moderate fat.

Also, people who use Intermittent fasting have better control over their appetite in the long run.

I utilize both IF and low carb and I can tell you that I'm totally satisfied every day with my meals and how I feel about food. I was the opposite eating to much carbohydrate and lacking protein.
  • slamina
    slamina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do exactly the same as the OP. Some good tips here to try. My evening cravings are so bad that I really feel like I'm depriving myself no matter what I've eaten in the daytime...grrrr
  • HappyHag
    HappyHag Posts: 20
    Options

Also, people who use Intermittent fasting have better control over their appetite in the long run.

I have to agree with this 100%. Since I started (just about 10 days ago) it amazes me how the cravings have diminished and how much more I am aware of when I'm actually full.
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you don't have it in the house you can't eat it...
    Or at least it makes it harder to eat so you have to make more of an effort than just go to the fridge or pantry

I agree with this! I just dont buy anything like that anymore, which sucks for my boyfriend, but he understands! I get in fruit and cottage cheese for snacks and if I have a need for something, I have a cup of tea or glass of milk. Sometimes just having a glass of water stops me from wanting to eat, or just doing something a bit more stimulating at night, rather than watching telly.

Cheese though, that's my downfall too, you always have it in, and its evil to snack on! I could eat a whole block!
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Just save some calories for the end of the day. Cut 50 or so from a few meals then you have 150 to blow on a late night snack
  • NearlyThere2011
    NearlyThere2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Self control is not a strong point of mine. Up until a couple of years ago, I could eat what I wanted with no effect, so its not something I ever really needed to develop when it came to food.
    I don't have much to lose, I just want to get a bit leaner and more toned.
    I've been on MFP for a month now and its working really well for me - BUT I have one problem.
    I can do so well during the day, healthy breakfast and lunch, minimal snacking (always my downfall in the past), no cravings, no problems. Get home, eat dinner and then the cravings start. They are completely in my head, my stomach can feel physically bursting, but my head is saying 'eat, eat, eat'. It happens if I ate a healthy meal, it happens if I ate a 'cheaty' meal and its driving me mad because I cant seem to control it. Some days I can get away with eating some fruit and it will go away, but yesterday I just lost it and ended up eating 2 pancakes with jam and icecream, 3 rows of chocolate, a piece of cheese and a popsicle. TOTALLY blew out my calories and I had been doing so well until about an hour before bedtime, I wasn't even hungry but I just couldn't stop myself.

I dont think its because I'm depriving myself during the day - I actually stood in front of the vending machine at work yesterday and looked at the kit kats (which I used to go crazy for) and didn't want one at all. I was on 1400 cals a day and it was a bit tight some days, so after dropping a couple of pounds I changed it to 1600 (1/2 pound per week) to give myself a bit more room, but it hasn't helped.

What to do? I'm sure I just need to man up a bit and develop some self control but any advice would be appreciated...its so depressing to see a days hard work go down the drain in a matter of minutes :(

Same!! :( and bumping for later ;-)
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    a couple of suggestons. #1, don't buy the stuff to have it in the house. Most times, its late and you would not feel like going out to get it.
    #2 If you know the things you crave,have them spread out earlier in the day, in moderation to get the taste you crave, and log it. during the day you are more active and. the calories will more than likely get burned off some. I don't know about you, but old habits get better in time at least they have for me, so when I want it,instead of depriving my self, I eat /drink it and log. tomorrow is another day and eventually these cravings will be in control.
    Good luck!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I get the same way all the time, its so hard to fight that craving, one thing I do is not buy anything to snack on that I crave, like chocolate, sweets, etc, if they are not there I can't eat them , I don't even have sugar in the house so I can't even bake something..:) also brushing your teeth does work I find, once I brush my teeth, I don't want to eat.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early if you can and sometimes drinking no/less caffeine can really help lessen cravings.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! So glad to see I am not alone and these posts were really helpful! I thought I had conquered that problem but caved last night...
  • esteeetee
    Options
    Same here. I try and save some of my 1200 caps for after dinner snacking. apaet from that I find a *kitten*,, a brew., a few dry frosties or clean teeth and go to bed!
  • harryd179
    Options
    Drink a lot of water to fill your stomach (though not so much you find yourself needing to get up and go to the toilet every hour when you're sleeping) I find that helps me forget about cravings.

Also maybe eat some nuts (almonds, cashews, brazils?) after your dinner, nuts release energy slowly and have low GI so you don't feel hungry 10 minutes after eating them, but be careful as they are very high in calories!

25g of cashews = 150 calories
    25g of almonds = 150 calories
    25g of brazil nuts = 173 calories
  • LeoMitchell
    Options
    This happens to me alot as well. I do great during the day and then I get home and I go into "devour" mode. Its really bad on the weekends as well. I don't buy junk food at all but my wife and daugther on the other hand do even though they have said they would stop bringing it into the house. I know its my responsibility not to eat the stuff but its hard when I'm home alone and I start to get those urges to eat.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem as well, but I am on this journey to get healthy and the chips and pop were not doing it for me so I don't bring them into the house. It is also about will power, you have to tell yourself all the time no I don't need it and I'm not going to have it. I have a bag of M&M"s in my car and every now and then I have about 3 of them, it curves the craving. I don't bring them in the house and it is a small bag that I have had for two weeks. If I want something in the evening I grab a piece of fruit.
    Good luck with your struggle.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is going to sound INCREDIBLY silly, but this is what works for me ... (I've always been so good and in control during the day but nighttime rolls around and I'm insane)

A few weeks ago, I decided that I have a fat, gluttonous vampiress that lives inside me! (please don't take me too seriously here, I don't REALLY believe that). She comes out at night, and rather than feasting on blood, she sucks down as much sugary, starchy crap as possible. She sleeps during the day, as vampires do, but once that sun sets she's starving and on the prowl!

Now, at night when I feel her waking up, I talk to her. Not normally out loud where someone could hear me and call the men in the little white coats, but sometimes! I tell her that I'm armed with garlic, holy water, wooden stakes and anything else I can think of and will smite her greedy, cellulite covered *kitten* into oblivion.

Now, it doesn't ALWAYS work, but usually it takes my mind of the craving, leaves me feeling a bit empowered (picturing Kate Beckinsale her costume in Van Helsing always motivates me to be strong), and usually gets me to chuckle a bit and take a deep breath. I can, 9 times out of 10, get that vampire stuffed back into her coffin for another day.

told ya it was silly!

lol, I think this must be my problem too!!! Too funny!!
  • lalalee13
    lalalee13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes- my story exactly! All day long I am completely fine- no temptation at all to overeat. But the minute I get home from work-
    the battle is on. I think it has a lot to do with wanting a "break", wanting rest and comfort after a long day... and then the emotional
    eating starts. Perhaps if some of us became friends we could check in with each other (especially at that time of day) and help support each other. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I have this happen, so I started keeping nail polish, nail cutters, nail file, ect on my coffee table and I polish my nails so I can't have anything til my nails dry and by then it's almost time for bed so I have a glass of milk and head to bed with the promise that if I still want whatever it is on my cheat day, I can have it then. Works most of the time for me (plus the advantage to being single is that I just don't keep the food in my house)
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me every night. I have an awful sweet tooth and would even go to the lobby of our apartment building and get something from the vending machine for a snack if I didn't have any in the house. Lately I have been sticking to the rule of eat every 3 hours. I eat a 200-300 calorie "meal" every few hours. The other night I was starving after dinner and realized I still had 450 calories left for the day so I got to enjoy a big bowl of cheerios before bed. But generally, because I eat so often, the urge to snack isn't as strong. I also make sure to get more than 8 glasses of water a day, that seems to keep me pretty full. My last resort is usually a big cup of tea, I have a cinnamon flavored tea that really hits the spot.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I also am an after dinner snacker. So I generally try to leave a couple hundred calories or so for those snacks. I'll eat Skinny Cow Ice Cream Treats, a lo-fat string cheese with 4 reduced-fat wheat thins, a Fiber One brownie, watermelon, 60 calorie pudding snack, etc.

My partner eats all kinds of junk food and I just put her hoard of junk in one specific cabinet and avoid it like the plague.

So maybe try to budget those calories in your day and go for the lo-cal snacks.