I have problems with breakfast

Options
I'm not hungry in the mornings when i get up. I normally don't get hungry until around 11a.m. and i just wait till noon to eat with my kids. Doing this also helps keep my calories under control, plus when i eat breakfast i want to eat all day. What do you guys recommend?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry in the mornings when i get up. I normally don't get hungry until around 11a.m. and i just wait till noon to eat with my kids. Doing this also helps keep my calories under control, plus when i eat breakfast i want to eat all day. What do you guys recommend?

Continue what you're doing then. Eat with your kids at noon and skip breakfast
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    try eating a bigger breakfast? it might solve the wanting to eat all day dilemma
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what you're doing is working for you, so I would keep doing that. There's no advantage to eating breakfast as soon as you get up, as far as weight loss is concerned. Unless you have certain medical issues (such as diabetes) meal timing is irrelevant. Getting enough (and not too many) calories in general is more important.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

i don't see the problem. a lot of days my breakfast is nothing more than a cup of coffee, and i won't eat until five hours after i wake up.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have heard to try and make sure that you get some kind of protein in the morning. Not only does eating a healthy breakfast rev the metabolism fromt the start of the day but by adding protein it should keep you satiated longer. I would ask if you have every tried to just have a smoothie in the morning. Just add some greek yogurt or cottage cheese to the blend to get some protein if the idea of actually chewing/eating is not what you like. I just add water instead of juice to keep the calories lower. I think waiting til lunch is more likely to have you making poor food choices through the day - or at least that is how is works for me. Good luck!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I have heard to try and make sure that you get some kind of protein in the morning. Not only does eating a healthy breakfast rev the metabolism fromt the start of the day but by adding protein it should keep you satiated longer. I would ask if you have every tried to just have a smoothie in the morning. Just add some greek yogurt or cottage cheese to the blend to get some protein if the idea of actually chewing/eating is not what you like. I just add water instead of juice to keep the calories lower. I think waiting til lunch is more likely to have you making poor food choices through the day - or at least that is how is works for me. Good luck!

wrong. if not hungry at breakfast time then don't eat, period. it's a waste of precious calories if you're meeting your macros by skipping breakfast and seeing the results you want.
  • arthurowenlindsey
    Options
    My wife recommended drinking a glass of milk, or something like that. I have been losing weight, and i see a little loss every day. Unless i eat breakfast. Even when i work out and still meet my calories, i cant lose when i eat breakfast.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do exactly what you have been doing. Obviously it's working for you.
  • JesterMFP
    Options

It sounds like not eating breakfast is working for OP. A lot of people find breakfast makes them hungrier than if they skip it - presumably for them, that could lead to poorer food choices later on.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

wrong. if not hungry at breakfast time then don't eat, period. it's a waste of precious calories if you're meeting your macros by skipping breakfast and seeing the results you want.

I've always thought that eatting breakfast does kick start the metabolism. I'm pretty much the same way as the OP...forever I've not ate breakfast because of lack of time and really my body became used to it so I was never hungry...but for the last month or so (due to my co-worker nagging me) I've begun eatting breakfast every day and now I'm hungry in the mornings but have less calories for lunch/dinner.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel fine doing it, are getting results, and it's not causing you to overeat on calories later there's no issue.
  • GRRobson
    GRRobson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to loose weight then you should try to eat 5-6 times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner and very small snacks in between. The idea is to keep your metabolism active which will burn fat. If you eat irregularly your body will store fat because it needs to preserve itself waiting for the next meal. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I never used to eat breakfast either but now I eat oat so simple sacket of porridge with fresh raspberries and acacia honey. Hope this helps. By the way eating all day is not a bad thing just eat in moderation, cut back on fat and carbs and boost protein.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to loose weight then you should try to eat 5-6 times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner and very small snacks in between. The idea is to keep your metabolism active which will burn fat. If you eat irregularly your body will store fat because it needs to preserve itself waiting for the next meal. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I never used to eat breakfast either but now I eat oat so simple sacket of porridge with fresh raspberries and acacia honey. Hope this helps. By the way eating all day is not a bad thing just eat in moderation, cut back on fat and carbs and boost protein.
    It suits some people to eat 5-6 times a day, but it's not for everyone, and it's not necessary for weight loss. Some people eat only one big meal a day, and lose weight just fine. Some people like to stick to 3 square meals with no snacking, some like to graze all day. Each to their own.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Wrong. Your metabolism doesn't slow or become inactive until 60-72 hours after you stopped eating. You don't have to eat 5-6 times a day to lose.

ETA: www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency

Additionally:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is pretty much overrated, with very little support for the idea that it "kick starts" your metabolism. It's also not uncommon for people with high insulin sensitivity to be hungrier later on after breakfast than they would be without it.

If you don't care for breakfast, don't eat it; if you feel you can't function without breakfast, eat it.
  • sherisse69
    Options

Wrong? or you don't agree?
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry. Don't eat, when you're not. This is how I see it. I get VERY hungry a couple hours or so after I get up/ I must eat breakfast (more than a bowl of cereal).

If you feel good and it's working for you, then keep it up. We all do this differently.
  • sherisse69
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/many-benefits-breakfast?page=2

Some links to support the notion of breakfast being important - but with that said - there are other links out there debating it. To each their own. Best of luck.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • hmarts78
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing if it works for you!