What was your "fat" breaking point?

Options

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I ate a footlong Blimpie sub, a bag of chips and a big soda. Not an exceptionally large meal for me at the time, but for some reason I felt really awful. I hadn't even been considering dieting up to that point (obviously) but the very next day I started.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I had a stroke from uncontrolled hypertension. I had 6 days paralyzed in ICU to think about how I got there. Of course they also found diabetes.

I realized I was killing myself and had almost finished the job.
  • TraceAT
    TraceAT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to weigh myself very often. Then when I did, I nearly had a heart attack when I realised I was heavier than my partner who is a foot taller than me! He usually weighs himself often and I knew I was close but NOT that close.....OMG!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It's in my profile, but my breaking point was seeing pictures of my friends on Facebook running the Tough Mudder. I was missing out and insanely jealous of them, and it just made me think about other things I was missing out on. Before that, I had looked in the mirror and hated what I saw, but it was never enough to make me change. One excuse after another. Something about those Tough Mudder photos really ignited something in me. I was hoping to be ready for it this year, but I'm going to start with a Mud Run instead and do the Tough Mudder in 2013!
  • MaryO1216
    Options
    I kept seeing myself in pictures and asking"Who is that fatty?" Also, menopause has been kicking my butt- gaining weight under my bra straps was not pretty-
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I had a gut...always had big thighs, learned to live with that but when I actually got a gut I realized that I need to start working out. My waist has always been small.
  • caseygotgoals
    caseygotgoals Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When my best friends came to visit this summer and I realized, "wow, I'm the only fat person in this group." Then I revived P90X and decided to do as many rounds as possible and eventually maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.
  • DaleenvanSchalkwyk
    Options
    An Zimbabwean Lady at our Church came to me after church and said " Hey mamma, Your getting fat now... You are not running right now, are you?" I could not believe my ears... should i be offended or thankful...(after the shock) I knew then its now or never... I think more people saw it they just did not have the courage to say anything...
  • aml7880
    aml7880 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    being diagnosed with psuedo-tumor and being told that I had already lost 5-10% of my eyesight
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I was distancing myself from certain friends because I didn't want them to see how fat I had gotten. There are some people I haven't seen in YEARS because of this. Vain, I know, but it is what it is! I was an actor and people always complimented my figure; I just couldn't let people see how I had let myself go. That, and suddenly realizing that I'm getting closer to 30 and it will be harder to lose weight the older I get, and that I really wanted to be healthy and active in my older years!
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    When my Dr told me my cholesterol was high and my glucose was low. I was only 138 lbs and running Triathlons?
    Only think that made since was to lose fat.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I went to visit my brother after Basic Training. I knew I'd put on some weight, but not to the point I was at. I saw myself in pictures and they were HIDEOUS! Not only did I look fat but I kept trying to suck in my neck and chin and cheeks so I was making awful faces in almost all the pictures. Worst part was, my mom FRAMED some of them and put them around the house. I was MORTIFIED!

I started eating better and cut out junk food and probably lost a few pounds but when I joined a gym and saw my weight was 195, I thanked every diety out there that I never saw the 2 at the beginning of the number that I'm sure was there.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Making the poor guy on the plane next to me miserable for an 8 hr international flight. That was it, I was not going to be a fat *kitten* anymore!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I saw pics of myself at a birthday party and my face looked like the thing that swallowed Kelley. I felt like I didnt even look like me anymore. It wasnt until I saw those pics that i realised how much weight I gained. I never saw it when I looked at myself in the mirror. I took a camera to show me.

Now i love the way my face looks in pics. I saw myself on video 4 weeks ago and I literally didnt even recognize myself until the camera showed my face and was like, OMG, thats me? !
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    My breaking point hit me several times before I actually accepted it as I need to do something. Each time was with the same group of friends. We would go to the mall, they would go into stores, they would try on cute clothes and dresses (they're not size zero's, a bit chubby, but they can fit into the Large and XL's) and I was just left watching. The ONLY thing I could do on that trip, was enjoy a shake from Godiva with them.

Another trip we went to Victoria's Secret, they all could buy something... me... again, left with just a book as clearly that has no weight limits.

And then recently, my friends doing the mud run. I don't think she wanted to ask me at first because of my weight, but I guess my dad told her I was working hard because I was going to do it, with or with out a team. So the mud run was my challenge, and even after that, I'm going to keep on going because I don't want to be "that fat friend" anymore. I want to be the cute girl that can go out shopping and people take with them because of my personality. Not as a means to make them feel better about their appearance.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    44 inch waist did it for me. My wife bought me pants with a 44" waist, and I just looked at them and thought "wow, these are fricken huge". When they fit, I couldn't think anything but that I was fricken huge by associations. I'm now down to a 34 inch waist. Way better for the ego.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was 15 and 180 pounds. I was the fattest of my friends and felt awful. I had zero self esteem.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I went shopping for the first time in two years and saw how horrible everything looked on me, no matter where I went.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    When I realized that my 6'1" husband weighed less than I do (I am 5'2") He is now only about 3 pounds less than me! I will get there sooner rather than later :-)
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Getting married. Something, or rather someone to actually live for. I don't mean that in a dramatic way, it's just it's something that I actually want to live 'til 100 for, rather than enjoy life 100% until 50 then die. I'd prefer to work at it now then maintain for the rest of my life just so that "rest of my life" will be as long as possible.