Counting Fruit Calories

Options
I have difficulty logging calories for fruit. This morning I rethought adding fruit to my breakfast because I didn't want to eat the additional calories. However I added them anyway because of the health benefits. I am considering not logging calories from fruits- does anyone have thoughts on this?

Replies

• beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Why wouldnt you? A calorie is a calorie despite where it came from. if your over on your calories you are going to gain weight. end of story.
  • samlockey87
    Options
    yes defintely add them! I dont eat much fruit but eat ALOT of veg as they are lower in calories and natural sugars and I always get enough vitimins, mineral etc
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Yes I have actually eaten a cookie before instead of a banana because they logged the same amount of calories. Terrible. I have stopped doing this. I know a banana is better than a cookie..lol
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Why wouldnt you? A calorie is a calorie despite where it came from. if your over on your calories you are going to gain weight. end of story.

This ^^

You should be logging everything. The only exception I can think of is negative calorie foods like celery.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Fruit may not be what pushes your calories so far over as to impede loss. I would still suggest holding yourself accountable and logging.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're on a calorie-based diet, log the calories.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options

true
  • rnb1127
    rnb1127 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the response above, everything counts...I log the good AND the bad. Good luck!
  • zmarzouka
    Options
    I second what Becky has said, what's difficult in counting fruit calories?
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    Yes, you need to log fruit. And if you are looking for lower calorie and lower sugar fruit, it is best to stay with berries. (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries are also lower in sugar)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I add them. I want to make sure I'm getting all my vitamins.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

This ^^

You should be logging everything. The only exception I can think of is negative calorie foods like celery.

"negative calories" are a myth. The act of chewing does not negate the food you eat. I'd log everything, even if it has a very small amount of calories. This gives you an overall picture of intake, day to day, week to week.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I log everything, fruit included. I even weigh them for accuracy. I have fruit and/or a vegetable at every meal, so not counting them would be misleading for my calories for the day. For me, calories are calories, no matter where they're from...
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    sorry but you must! now that i've only got less than 15lbs to lose, i've set my goals to lose 1/2lb a week but since i wasn't logging fruits, i was actually eating at maintenance and didn't lose any weight. luckily i wasn't gaining either. but i was so confused until one day i realized the two bananas i was eating were 210 calories but i was only set for a 250 deficet.

so go ahead and log them. i didn't want to for the same reason as you, if i log them, i'd rather just use my calories on something else...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Just cos you don't log them doesn't mean the calories (and more importantly, sugars) somehow magically don't exist.

If you want your food log to be at all accurate, to be something that you can review and see patterns, that you can ask the MFP community to comment on, then log everything.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Exactly.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

My exceptions are celery and pizza. I look at it this way, if you eat it you log it.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    if you eat the calories, you count the calories, if you don't log them what's the point of using a calorie counting system?
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    on Weight Watchers they do not count most veggies and fruit.......

but this isn't WW , so why wouldn't you....you must count EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth thats edible !
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Absolutely log them. It's how this site works - you log everything you eat. Your body will certainly "count" them, even if you haven't logged them! People say you'll never get fat on fruit, but you could easily overeat by having several pieces of fruit and not counting them. I understand you feeling reluctant to eat them if they're high in calories - I presume that's why Weight Watchers made fruit "free" on their plan - to encourage people to eat it. I make room in my calorie goal for fruit, because it's good for you. If you're worried about calories and/or sugar, you could try to eat more vegetables instead.