26 lbs lost - 6 weeks on Eat to Live

Options
I started the nutritarian life-style "Eat to Live" by Dr Fuhrman 6 weeks ago, a little skeptical, as it was a huge departure from the way I was eating. Previously, I was using 20% under TDEE with high protein (200g/day) and high fat (100g/day), and was losing just around 1 lb/week which was respectable. However, I would still have binges, cravings, and need to eat constantly.

I made the switch after watching "Forks Over Knives" and "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix. Those documentaries completely sold me on the power of a whole foods plant-based diet. 6 weeks later I'm 26 lbs ligher (10 lbs the first week, and an average of 3 lbs/week therafter), I'm now just merely overweight as opposed to obese, I no longer need to count calories, I can eat until I'm satisfied, and my cravings and binges are gone. I no longer need coffee to function in the morning, my leaky bladder disappeared, and my hemorroids no longer bother me. My mood has improved dramatically, I'm a generally happier person, and I've noticed that I've been handling stress much better.

I've got 30 more lbs to hit my goal weight, and I'm very confident, for once in my life, that I'm going to get there!

Replies

• rosekittie
    rosekittie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the vegetarian way or the regular way? I saw how that if you do the vegetarian diet it helps you lose more, but I'm sure if you went back to eating meat the weight would come back. Congrats on doing so well though!!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Are you doing the vegetarian way or the regular way? I saw how that if you do the vegetarian diet it helps you lose more, but I'm sure if you went back to eating meat the weight would come back. Congrats on doing so well though!!

Thanks! As far as vegetarian or regular, the regular way. I eat animal products twice weekly or less, and avoid processed foods at all costs. :smile:

EDIT: I do have a few beers each week, it's my biggest weakness.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Eat to Live is what inspired me to lose weight and change my diet..

26 pounds is great! I'm on week 6 and have lost 9, but there's two reasons for that I'm sure 1) you're a man. 2) I haven't been following the strict plan. Though the first week I did and lost 5 pounds (I hit a 3 week plateau after that though, where I'm sure the actual fat loss was trying to catch up with the water weight lost or something).

Anyways, Dr. Furhman inspired me to move from being a pescatarian to mostly vegan (i do still eat fish once a week or so for b12 and small amounts of dairy and eggs on ocassion, particularly if I'm at a restaurant or someone else's house).

I'm so glad you've had so much success!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I started doing pretty much the same thing on March 11th of this year. I have lost 80 pounds so far, and feel GREAT. It is unreal how much more energy I have now!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I 'm going to have to give this a try. Proud of all the success.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    cjc & deb congrats on your successes! I have not heard of this Dr or these documentaries. I hope you can move forward and keep the weight off. Fast food and processed food do seem to be two big contributors to all the obesity in America including mine. I am changing my eating habits for health reasons and if I don't change I won't like the consequences. That's a pretty good incentive.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    The most important benefit of eating this way is health. It fights disease. I know people in their 80's that have eaten this way their whole lives. When they were growing up it was normal.

I'm almost 43 and should have been worrying about disease a long time ago. But it took a really bad scare to get me thinking about it. I see no reason to invite health problems, I would rather try to prevent.

I have so many issues with food and so many restrictions it gets rough at times. But I really believe people like me have become this way due to growing up eating processed foods and unhealthy convenience foods. There are just to many of us now having these problems and it has to be related to food.
  • cjc166
    Options
    I started doing pretty much the same thing on March 11th of this year. I have lost 80 pounds so far, and feel GREAT. It is unreal how much more energy I have now!

Awesome! 80 lbs is a heck of an accomplishment, and I can't think of a healthier way to do it!
  • Toofhairy
    Toofhairy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    26 lbs is a big loss! I am 9 weeks into Eat to Live and have lost 24 lbs so far. During the first 6 weeks, I lost 20 lbs. I was keeping vegan and avoiding grains, oils, and starchy vegetables during that time and didn't exercise for the majority of the 6 weeks. I'm experimenting with starches now and trying to exercise at least 3x a week. Eating this way has given me a lot more energy!
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Great job! I just got the book, and am ready to take some of the meat from my diet. I don't eat beef, rarely pork, but lots of turkey and chicken. I'm hoping the inclusion of even more plant-based foods will make a positive difference.

Thanks for posting your story!
  • cjc166
    Options
    26 lbs is a big loss! I am 9 weeks into Eat to Live and have lost 24 lbs so far. During the first 6 weeks, I lost 20 lbs. I was keeping vegan and avoiding grains, oils, and starchy vegetables during that time and didn't exercise for the majority of the 6 weeks. I'm experimenting with starches now and trying to exercise at least 3x a week. Eating this way has given me a lot more energy!

24 lbs is pretty great too! I'm sure adding in exercise will be a big boost for your health and your weight loss. It's good to find other nutritarians!
  • cjc166
    Options
    Great job! I just got the book, and am ready to take some of the meat from my diet. I don't eat beef, rarely pork, but lots of turkey and chicken. I'm hoping the inclusion of even more plant-based foods will make a positive difference.

Thanks for posting your story!

Thank you, and you're very welcome!
  • Jrb627
    Jrb627 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am just about to start Eat to Live. I plan on starting on Saturday. I'm very nervous about the whole thing...If I can do it, if I will feel bad at first, what if I just "have" to have ____, what if my family doesn't support me, what if I don't like the food or can't figure out what to eat....I just have so many emotions about it. Have any of you had these thoughts before diving into this program or another strict program? I just feel it in my gut that I have to try - that I truely need this. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Oh and GREAT job everyone!!!! You are my inspiration and exactly why I need to do it too!
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I, too, switched to a more whole foods, plant-based eating in the last few weeks. I've seen Forks Over Knives and am familiar with Esselstyn's work (actually both Esselstyns...Caldwell and Rip). I still allow some fish/chicken but maybe one or twice a week and I have used chicken broth and have had egg whites, but overall, I'm following a mostly plant-based eating method. In the last two weeks, I've lost 11 pounds. I feel better than ever. I also workout 30 minutes a day, alternating cardio workouts with more weight-based circuit training. Though it can be a bit more work to prepare foods this way, once you get used to it and have the staples in your house, it's really not that bad. And food tastes so much better! Tonight, I made a pan of mushroom/kale/spinach enchiladas with roasted poblano cream (no dairy), which my carnivore husband loves! I also made a "cream" of celery/broccoli soup with no cream (used beans) for the days to come. Ultimately, I feel better and am sleeping better. Thanks for sharing your success story!
  • caitdgaf
    Options
    honestly, vegan is the best way to go. i have been vegan for a long time, but once you switch to plant based and completely ditch unprocessed, the weight falls right off. and it is the healthiest thing to do for your body. and the planet. and your wallet, actually. haha. anyway, ive lost 30+ since may. i start the p90x tomorrow. but once you switch to whole foods and do it right, your energy is endless!
  • cjc166
    Options
    I am just about to start Eat to Live. I plan on starting on Saturday. I'm very nervous about the whole thing...If I can do it, if I will feel bad at first, what if I just "have" to have ____, what if my family doesn't support me, what if I don't like the food or can't figure out what to eat....I just have so many emotions about it. Have any of you had these thoughts before diving into this program or another strict program? I just feel it in my gut that I have to try - that I truely need this. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Oh and GREAT job everyone!!!! You are my inspiration and exactly why I need to do it too!

Jrb627,
    I was also nervous, and yes it does feel bad at first, specifically the first few days. This is just your body detoxing from the refined foods and caffeine (if you were drinking it), and it's a withdrawal symptom. Once you're over that, it's really easy to eat this way. The hardest part for me was making the decision to do it.

It's also a big pain in the butt to figure out a new menu that you really like. It means a few weeks of experimentation. I really recommend getting a book on cooking greens. It has helped me tremendously. The first few weeks I felt like I was slaving away in the kitchen and grocery shopping was a chore. Now it's like old hat, and I cook the meals at least as quickly as I did previously and shopping is no problem.

I really don't have cravings any more and really enjoy eating this way (especially the fact that I can eat until I'm satisfied and not have to cut my dinner short). And oddly, a lot of the foods I enjoyed previously make me ill to eat or think about eating, which is probably helpful in a lot of ways.

It's by far the most pleasant eating plan I've experienced. I'm sure you'll do quite well and really enjoy it once you get into the swing of things. Best of luck!
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm basically eating everything just healthier versions of it. Have lost over 50lbs. However I've hit a plateau and now cutting back on Meats, having them only once a day. Good luck on your journey! :)
  • LeslieSJR
    Options
    I did E2L about two years ago and lost 25 pounds over several months. After a couple of indulgent holiday seasons and some lazy eating in general I gained back 10 lbs. I am back on it as of about 2 weeks ago. I am closer to my goal weight, so the scale is a little more slow going, but I feel awesome. I am following the 6 Week Plan pretty closely, although I do have some egg whites, greek yogurt, and fish 1-2x a week. I also use vegan hemp protein powder in my green smoothies. It seems to power me through my runs and strength training ( I am exercising much harder than last time I did E2L). I do have a cup of coffee daily, but without sugar. I rarely drink alcohol (maybe once a month). I am hoping to kickstart the weight loss again and get into super shape!! Good luck with it too, ya'll :)
  • piotrowskilorrie
    piotrowskilorrie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have read the book and am following the plan, but have only lost 3 pounds since the 19th. Can you give me a sample of your daily menu or did you follow the 6 week plan exactly? Thanks :-) I have 30 pounds to go!
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    piotrowskilor,

Another member (Ilovelucy) posted this information on another forum.

This eating plan is from Dr. Fuhrmans' book Eat To Live.
    A few years ago I did this and lost 8 pounds in 2.5/3 weeks with no exercise!
    I am going to try to do it again!

UNLIMITED (eat as much as you want):
    •all raw vegetables, including raw carrots (goal: 1 lb. daily)
    •cooked green vegetables (goal 1 lb. daily)
    •beans, legumes, bean sprouts, or *tofu (minimum 1 cup daily in total of these)
    •fresh fruit (at least 4 daily).
    •eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomato and other non-starchy vegetables, cooked and raw (unlimited)

*Beans should be eaten daily; tofu should be eaten less frequently.

LIMITED (not more than one serving):
    •cooked starchy vegetables OR whole grains–Maximum 1 cup per day (butternut or acorn squash, corn, sweet potato, brown rice, cooked carrots, whole grain breads*, whole grain cereals*)
    •raw nuts and seeds (1 oz. or 28.5 grams a day) or 2 ounces avocado
    •ground flaxseed (1 tablespoon a day)
    •soymilk, low-sugar preferred–Maximum 1 cup a day

*avoid breads and cereals as much as possible

OFF-LIMITS:
    •dairy products
    •animal products
    •between meal snacks
    •fruit juice, dried fruits
    •salt, sugar
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!