Pregnant and not eating. NEED SUPPORT.

Options
Hello everyone.

About a week and a half ago, my husband left to start Army Basic Combat Training. Today is the first day that I don't feel like a complete wreck emotionally (I think normally I'd be able to suck it up a little better, but I'm 17 weeks pregnant and HORMONAL!!!). Unfortunately, I have been struggling with my eating since his departure as well, and have lost 2 pounds in one week. I can't be taking in much more than 500 calories a day, which is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. And I mean, OBVIOUSLY I'm going to take up the issue with my Doctor at my next prenatal appointment-which is on Friday, but aside from that, I'm just looking for supportive people who wouldn't mind being friends, thus forcing me to hold myself accountable for my actions a little more. I'm DEFINTIELY not on here to diet. Just to hopefully help me get an insight into how much I'm actually eating, and then slowly improving that for my health.

Replies

• chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Are you not eating because of morning sickness or because you're feeling depressed that your husband is gone? I had really really bad morning sickness in the beginning of my pregnancy and couldn't keep anything down. If that's the case, your doctor can prescribe you Zofran to help. If it's the latter, maybe it would help to seek out counseling for a few sessions just until you're feeling better about your situation? I'm sorry you're going through this, I can't imagine not having my husband around while I was pregnant! If you need a shoulder to cry on, go ahead and message me! And just remember, you need to stay healthy and eat not just for you but for that wonderful miracle you have growing inside of you!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

About a week and a half ago, my husband left to start Army Basic Combat Training. Today is the first day that I don't feel like a complete wreck emotionally (I think normally I'd be able to suck it up a little better, but I'm 17 weeks pregnant and HORMONAL!!!). Unfortunately, I have been struggling with my eating since his departure as well, and have lost 2 pounds in one week. I can't be taking in much more than 500 calories a day, which is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. And I mean, OBVIOUSLY I'm going to take up the issue with my Doctor at my next prenatal appointment-which is on Friday, but aside from that, I'm just looking for supportive people who wouldn't mind being friends, thus forcing me to hold myself accountable for my actions a little more. I'm DEFINTIELY not on here to diet. Just to hopefully help me get an insight into how much I'm actually eating, and then slowly improving that for my health.

I would take this to a therapist/professional. We can give advice but at this point in time you need a professoinal medical opinion-and I don't just mean from your OB.

Losing weight while pregnant is not good at all. Please go see someone.
  • CuteWittleWifey
    Options
    Don't worry all.
    I did just call my doctor and hopefully they can get me in soon and get me the proper refferals.

It isn't morning sickness. During my first trimester, regardless of my morning sickness, I made sure to compensate for what I had lost-so to speak. :)

Before I got pregnant I had lost 50 pounds due to constant calorie counting, exercising, and weighing myself like a thousand times a day. I do think that I may possibly be struggling with depression, or an eating disorder-at least borderline-or both. Regardless, I am reaching out for medical help, for sure!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    So........ if you are upset and overwhelmed, etc., try to drink your calories--- smoothies, shakes, etc. When I was pregnant with #2, and it was HOT out, and I didn't feel like eating, I would make smoothies. I bought powdered milk at Sam's Club and added a scoop of that to my smoothies to get a bit of extra calories in each one.

Other than that, please, please, please talk to your doctor. It really isn't good to not be eating when pregnant. It puts alot of stress on the baby and on your body.
  • CuteWittleWifey
    Options
    That's a great idea!
    I'll try some smoothies and even start drinking juice.
    That will help me stay hydrated much better, as well
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Are you near a military base? there may be military wife support groups in your area that you might want to hit up. The good news is, you're 17 weeks. Some of the most important developments are done with baby, such as the neurological stuff. Do you have a printer? or access to one? even a book can help out.
    post pictures of each week's development in the kitchen, on the fridge even. Seen the little one developing and your job to eat might encourage you a bit more. There are also support groups from pregnant women that your ob/gyn might be able to refer to you.

secondly, there is WIC, They will supply you with food if need be, but can further help you find support groups.

for awhile, all I craved was a whopper w/ cheese and frozen fruit bars. Your body will soon crave what it needs. 2lbs really isn't a huge deal as far as baby goes.

Your favorite television;
    get some food, park your butt in front of it. it will probably distract you from not wanting to eat.

As an ex-military wife, the 1st month is not easy, but it does get easy after that.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea!
    I'll try some smoothies and even start drinking juice.
    That will help me stay hydrated much better, as well

doooon't drink a ton of straight juice!!! water is better, and the acidity will really mess up your stomach.
    says the person who threw up all over the high way after doing so. A few a day is ok, but to replace all water.. bad!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    good luck adding a a baby into that mix.

yikes.
  • CuteWittleWifey
    Options
    Um, thanks?
  • heatherlee1124
    heatherlee1124 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Find a group of women to talk with daily. Hopefully this "chat" here can help. I am sure there are a lot of groups out there that have women going through the same things you are. Take care of you and that baby. You two are the most important people you need to think about. It does stink having your man leave. Be brave and strong like your man. You can do it!!!!! If you need a friend you can "friend" me. I have had a baby before and understand the worries taht go with it.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    militarysos.com

Was a great site when I went through that. (and afterwards) Also, if your close to a base they have several military wives groups; for me my husband's (now ex) squadrin had a wives group where we would have potlucks and things. I met a lot of friends that way, and all wives that had husbands in the same place as mine, so it was nice.

When I was pregnant I didn't eat a lot at all in the first trimester. Seeing your doctor is probably the best bet for you there.

Hope things get better for you!
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ohh hun im so sorry!! i know how stressful the husband leaving can be!!! *hugs* i totally understand the not eating thing...i was a wreck too when my husband left for Kuwait, I wasn't pregnant but I was nursing and our daughter was just a couple of months old...it was HARD!!! omg....so i know how you feel...feel free to add me as a friend and totally talk to your doctor....maybe there is an anxiety med that is safe during pregnancy??

just try to eat about 6 small meals a day...maybe not putting so much in your stomach at one time will be more helpful...
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My hubby went to drug and alcohol treatment when I was 16 weeks pregnant with our 2nd child, I withdrew from the world in depression and couldn't eat. When I did I threw it back up. I struggle with an eating disorder have since I was a child. Thankfully I had a wonderful friend that when I ignored her phone calls she just decided to show up with lunch, she did this daily to help keep me accountable. That was over 5 years ago and I gained a healthy amount of weight then some and my son was born healthy also. I would suggest along with the others in here seeking help and seeking friendship on here and where you live.
  • evasangel758
    evasangel758 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    IT is really good that you are reaching out for help! The best part is there are a lot of people wanting to help you. I agree with the smoothies as a way of getting nutrients in without eating a meal. A trick I learned is to freeze your fruit first and then you don't have to use ice, you also do need to drink lots of water, I use to fill a thirty two ounze bottle and keep it on hand and when I emptied it i would refill it even if i wasn't going to drink it right away. Hopefully you will continue to seek help. One day at a time is all you can take things in.
  • evasangel758
    evasangel758 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you can also friend me if you want a person to support you
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough while pregnant will be more detrimental to your health than the baby's health, but still not a good situation to be in. It has been really hard seeing my weight come up over the past 38 weeks too. I had also lost about 30 lbs before finding out I was pregnant, so it was really frustrating visiting the doctor to see my weight increase gradually. It must be really hard with out your husband there so my best advice to you is seeing a therapist and maybe have your OB recommend a dietician. A dietician can maybe ease some of your fears about gaining weight, and stress how important a weight gain is. If you gain weight correctly, much of it is from the extra fluids, placenta, breast tissue, growing uterus, and the baby itself. If you gain 30 lbs, it is estimated that only about 5-7lbs of those 30 are 'maternal fat stores'. So please, make sure you are eating enough for you and your baby's sake :) Even if you still log all of your calories, try and be eating at minimum your maintenance. The scale WILL go up, but just try to remember it is not FAT you are putting on!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Are you not eating because of morning sickness or because you're feeling depressed that your husband is gone? I had really really bad morning sickness in the beginning of my pregnancy and couldn't keep anything down. If that's the case, your doctor can prescribe you Zofran to help. If it's the latter, maybe it would help to seek out counseling for a few sessions just until you're feeling better about your situation? I'm sorry you're going through this, I can't imagine not having my husband around while I was pregnant! If you need a shoulder to cry on, go ahead and message me! And just remember, you need to stay healthy and eat not just for you but for that wonderful miracle you have growing inside of you!

THIS! Feel free to message/friend me too. I'm a mama and my dad is an ob-gyn. Just please don't be afraid to talk to someone - therapist, priest, parents, and of course your OB.

A million thank you's to YOU, Your husband and your family for being so brave for our country.
  • Jaloth
    Jaloth Posts: 28
    Options
    Try a hazelwood necklace as a natrual way to change your mood!! The hazelwood necklace is at your local health store, tell them about your symptoms and they will help you!!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the light/diet foods you were eating. YOu can afford to eat some regular, higher fat foods. If you want a plate of pasta, eat it! If you want some avocado, eat it! Try to pick healthy yet higher fat foods. But still go see your doctor!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Though I didn't have all the trials emotionally while pregnant, I still physically couldn't eat... I just wasn't hungry and nothing satisfied... I would eat two bites and I was done.

So my doctor told me to drink Ensures or other nutrition drinks like that. That way I would at least be getting my vitamins and minerals beyond the pre-natals. So I suggest that and perhaps some V-8 VFusion... it may not be the best, but when it's hard to eat, it's better than nothing.