Yoga *IS* strength training.

Options

Replies

• Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It is debateable as to whether that would strictly be considered strength training or conditioning

Far less debateable is the fact that getting upset about the classification of it on this website indicates you are not getting the full relaxation benefits of yoga.

I agree with this post. Why do you need to be able to log it as strength training? I will absolutely agree that I got stronger doing yoga, but it's not like lifting where you need to keep track of your weight, reps, and sets.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think that would depend on the person.
    Pushups are not really strength training for most guys, but new exercisers and many women even in decent shape probably can't do more than sets of 5 full range of motion pushups. Same for one-legged squats and holding your body weight on one arm.

Seriously??? A woman that is decently in shape can't do more than sets of 5 full range pushups???? Are you kidding me????

I'll admit it. I'm in decent shape (not great) and I can't do 5 full motion pushups.

I don't consider myself to be in that great of shape and I could do 5 full motion pushups if I had to. I just don't understand why this woman put that on here. New excercisers, sure. Decently in shape women? Sexist and annoying.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Really?

*facepalm*
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    i freakin love yoga (power yoga, not meditation yoga). I am pretty sure the reason it isn't considered "strength training" is because you can't increase your weight- you are strictly using body weight, like you can when you are actually doing strength training. using nothing but your body weight can only get you so far :)

Exactly.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Pushups are not really strength training for most guys, but new exercisers and many women even in decent shape probably can't do more than sets of 5 full range of motion pushups. Same for one-legged squats and holding your body weight on one arm.

Seriously??? A woman that is decently in shape can't do more than sets of 5 full range pushups???? Are you kidding me????

I'll admit it. I'm in decent shape (not great) and I can't do 5 full motion pushups.

I don't consider myself to be in that great of shape and I could do 5 full motion pushups if I had to. I just don't understand why this woman put that on here. New excercisers, sure. Decently in shape women? Sexist and annoying.

She didn't say all women. She said many. I'm one of the many.

Is your arguement that if I can't do 5 pushups I can't possible be in decent shape?
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Do you really need a log of how many reps of vinyasa you completed?

Generic strength training is included as cardio, because anything logged as strength has a 0 caloric burn. So while yes, yoga is indeed a practice that will increase your muscular strength I'm confused by why you'd want to track sets and reps of asanas.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I attribute my superhuman strength and ability to flip over cars completely to yoga sessions twice weekly for the past three months.

Thanks, yoga.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I attribute my superhuman strength and ability to flip over cars completely to yoga sessions twice weekly for the past three months.

Thanks, yoga.

No doubt you've but on a good 25lbs of muscle, too!
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My experience with Yoga is limited lately to P90X Yoga, and a few classes years ago. Now the Yogi people out there will poo-poo P90X Yoga i'm sure...however, it is 90mins long. 45mins strength moves, and 45mins flexibility moves.

So to say Yoga is not a strength/muscle building exercise is simply foolish, its the same as saying lifting weights is not a muscle building exercise. If I were to lit 5lb weights.....i could do that ad nausea and not build muscle....however, switch that to 45lbs, and now were building muscle.

Unless you know Yoga "speak"...you don't know what a Vinyasa is, or Warrior I, etc.. so you have no frame of reference for what the movement entails, and you will wrongly assume that Yoga is a bunch of people sitting around with their legs wrapped around their heads.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I guess you're right. All of those weight lifters, power lifters and body builders out there should just stick to doing yoga only for the purposes of getting bigger and stronger.

Not everyone wants to get bigger, I know I sure as hell don't, yet I still incorporate a combination of lifting and yoga into my regime. I'm a woman though, so getting bigger isn't really something I can do without the 'roids anyway.

Yoga sure as hell challenges me strength wise! Especially the crazy push ups my instructor has us do. I thought I was going to fall on my face the other night in class, arms were shaking, sweat dripping off my face---maybe I'm a lil weakling, but that was no soothing walk in the park. I know plenty of women who do yoga as their only form of strength training who have improved strength that way. I am challenged every single time in yoga class, because there are always variations on poses that can take you to another level. I had a class Monday night and I'm still sore today!

Not everyone's goals are the same. Personally, I don't care what it's logged as, cardio or strength, I actually prefer logging it as cardio so I can get the calorie burn benefit, but that's just me. All I know is most yogis aren't heavy lifters, and I've yet to see one that's flabby in any way.

:heart:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure yoga was invented for calming meditation benefits, not for getting THICK, SOLID, TIGHT, HUGE, JACKED!

Woosah

and you two, be quiet! Read the profile of the original poster. Bite!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I consider yoga a full body strength training exercise. Pushups (chaturanga's), planks, planks with leg lifts, side planks, bridges, head stands, hand stands, warrior three and many more difficult and advance poses. As with any exercise you get what you put into it. I see people just going through the motions and putting much effort into it. But if you challenge yourself are will get stronger.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It is debateable as to whether that would strictly be considered strength training or conditioning

Right after my husband got out of the Marine Corps, we took a series of yoga classes together. About halfway through the first class, in the middle of holding a high plank, he turns to me and says "I had forgotten how much static holds suck!" So yeah, the things you do in yoga are easy for all men, and probably even for fit women. *eye roll*
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    How different is this from the "what is heavy" threads?

I don't want to lump all move/positions into one sweeping generalization, so can you look at a given position as strength training if it requires near maximal effort over a relatively short time?

For someone who can only do 5 reps with 5lb dumbbells... that's strength training. If someone can do 50 reps, it isn't. Same with yoga... if it takes everything you've got to hold a position for 5-10 seconds, that's strength training. If it's not maximal effort, or if you can hold it for 30-45 seconds, it isn't.

And just like with weights, once a given weight/position becomes too easy, it's no longer strength training. The difference is that with weights you can add more plates to keep progressing. With yoga you can't, so the ceiling is much lower.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I guess you're right. All of those weight lifters, power lifters and body builders out there should just stick to doing yoga only for the purposes of getting bigger and stronger.

Not everyone wants to get bigger, I know I sure as hell don't, yet I still incorporate a combination of lifting and yoga into my regime. I'm a woman though, so getting bigger isn't really something I can do without the 'roids anyway.

Yoga sure as hell challenges me strength wise! Especially the crazy push ups my instructor has us do. I thought I was going to fall on my face the other night in class, arms were shaking, sweat dripping off my face---maybe I'm a lil weakling, but that was no soothing walk in the park. I know plenty of women who do yoga as their only form of strength training who have improved strength that way. I am challenged every single time in yoga class, because there are always variations on poses that can take you to another level. I had a class Monday night and I'm still sore today!

Not everyone's goals are the same. Personally, I don't care what it's logged as, cardio or strength, I actually prefer logging it as cardio so I can get the calorie burn benefit, but that's just me. All I know is most yogis aren't heavy lifters, and I've yet to see one that's flabby in any way.

I so agree with you!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Obviously, by the comments, a very touchy subject. I do think that yoga is a great workout. I've tried yoga and it is very difficult. My problem with calling it strength training is that the resistance is not being increased. Most people will either remain the same weight or lose weight. You may have better muscle endurance, but you're not really getting that much stronger. It should be listed as cardio.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options

:heart:

Yoga doesn't develop any kind of significant strength. You can do a push up, great. But all you are ever pushing is your own body weight, which in fact is probably becoming lighter over time. You are building muscle endurance, not strength. Being sore also is not evidence of strength training. I can go run 9 miles, which is NOT strength training in case you were also confused about that, and be sore for a week. I don't think anyone is questioning the legitmacy of yoga as a fitness activity, so don't get all offended but it's not strength training. ALSO big LOLS to thinking you have to be on drugs to get bigger. I was 93lbs last August, 113lbs now, hoping to be 120lbs/125lbs by the end of the year and I'm still lean enough to have abs so I'm not just putting on fat. No "roids", no prohormones, ALL NATURAL.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    Obviously, by the comments, a very touchy subject. I do think that yoga is a great workout. I've tried yoga and it is very difficult. My problem with calling it strength training is that the resistance is not being increased. Most people will either remain the same weight or lose weight. You may have better muscle endurance, but you're not really getting that much stronger. It should be listed as cardio.

BOOM! this times ten.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you find me sexist and annoying. Ouch.

I think maybe my definition of full range of motion is different than some. I'm talking about FULL RANGE - chest touches the floor on the bottom portion, arms extend to fully straight on the top, butt tucked in and core tight.

I find these very challenging. I can do up to about 8 right now before I need to take a break. When I first started lifting weights 2 years ago, I couldn't even do one - I had to use a resistance band rigged up to the pullup bar to support some of my body weight. Maybe I'm wrong but I think full range ones like would be hard to do for the average woman in decent cardiovascular shape but new to weight training / yoga.

I see a lot of people doing what I'd consider a half-range pushup - fully extending the arms, but then going only halfway down.
    My friends who do tons of yoga and take it seriously can do the full range pushups very well, because they do those moves in class. They can also do pullups better than me, so I have not been un-impressed with yoga as a strength training technique, up to a point.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

She didn't say all women. She said many. I'm one of the many.

Is your arguement that if I can't do 5 pushups I can't possible be in decent shape?

I'm not arguing anything except that I don't like the way that person phrased that. Chill.