shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    "You can do it!" -Rob Schnieder

You gotta love Rob!
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    shannajojo,

6 weeks ago I struggled to 5 in a set, since 7pm Monday I have done over 700 in 5 hours. It will take some time, but make sure you do some exercises to build the supporting muscle groups.

This is a good website with some tips

http://scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/

Thank you, and awesome job on your weight loss of 122 lbs! Wow!
  • EsperShiva
    Options
    I haven't tried going through the process yet, but there is a book called Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade and he takes you through steps to get you there. He suggests starting off by standing arm's length from the wall and then touching your forehead to it. After reaching a certain progression standard he suggests moving it down to a surface waist high eventually to the knees, then half push-ups where your chest just kisses the top of a basketball and finally all the way to a standard push-up. (Technically he adds more steps, as the goals isn't just doing a push-up in his book.)

Doing all the steps over time is suppose to help stretch out your tendons/ligaments so your joints will also be able to take the pressure your body weight puts on it when doing a push-up. It's also nice to go in stages so you see progress rather than feeling like it's all or nothing.
  • Carolyn1012
    Carolyn1012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This might not be an approved variation of the pushup.... But it worked for me! When I started the 30 day shred I couldn't even complete a pushup from my knees.... So I dropped to my pelvis. After about a week of doing pushups with my entire lower body on the floor I was able to start doing them from my knees.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    YouTube the Kim kardashian push up... That's how I started haha seriously lol
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I used to follow a push up app on android...it was called 100 Push Ups. It seemed like it was working but I got rid of it because I wasnt doing it as much. You might want to give it a try :)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Pfft, I worked out every day, lost 145 pounds, did the 30DS shred twice, and STILL couldn't do a single pushup.
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Knee pushups!
  • Trojanlc75
    Trojanlc75 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eh. No need to do push ups! I lost 50lbs and only walked. Do what you can and what you like!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Pfft, I worked out every day, lost 145 pounds, did the 30DS shred twice, and STILL couldn't do a single pushup.

how'd you do the 30 ds without pushups?
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I cant do a single push-up either, but i can run 5 miles!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    you worded this wrong...what you want to say is

Today, I can't even do a push up....

which is then followed by

Tomorrow I will try one...

you can do it!
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I can't either! I still do the girl push-ups, but still very effective for me. One day I will be able to do push-ups like a man, haha!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Girly pushups on the knees. :P
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options

You can do the girly push-ups the moderate version on 30DS. I did them!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    my husband got the perfect pushup bars (to give him a bigger range of motion) and it's helped him and me increase our pushups! i guess because with the bars you can go lower... it builds the muscle? not sure but it's working! keep trying. i was at a point where i couldn't do a push up or plank for more than 10 seconds. i can plank for a minute now (which isn't THAT impressive, but it's progress! LOL)!
  • _Mitch_
    _Mitch_ Posts: 7
    Options
    A good way to increase your push up numbers if you don't do them very often would be starting just pushing your body against the wall repetitively up to what you can handle. If that is too easy for you, then you can do knee down push ups. The slower you do the push up the more will target your stabilizer muscles, also increasing muscle coordination. Doing fast push ups will assist you with endurance. Push ups work out multiple muscles of your body such as your chest, back, triceps, biceps, and shoulders. Remember, always try to eat healthy and never give up!
  • capegirl2
    Options
    When I started I couldn't do even one either. It will come! I push up then lower myself down to just above the floor and be stuck trying to push back up, until I would collapse on the floor then start all over again. It helped that I was in a class in which the instructor would say, "Get off of my floor!" Tough class:-) Hang in and keep trying.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I used to follow a push up app on android...it was called 100 Push Ups. It seemed like it was working but I got rid of it because I wasnt doing it as much. You might want to give it a try :)

I have that app, and the one for sit ups and pull ups. It is helpful! Of course, I haven't used mine in at least a month : (
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    7 months ago, I could barely do one knee push-up :noway: :noway: :noway:

my latest accomplishment???? i can knock out 3 rounds of 12 ball push-ups! Yay for me! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hang in there! One day you'll get it! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: