14 yr old daughter vegetarian, wants to go vegan

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I join others in recommending Virginia Messina's 'Vegan for Life.' GREAT book!
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I won't let my emotions get in the way here. I have three things I really would like you to consider:

Visiting her doctor with her

Visiting a nutritionist with her

Make her study up, if she wants to do it make sure she's doing it right.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Personally I would not support my 14 year old daughter to go that extreme (if I had one) , but that is your choice in the end of the day.

Please make very sure that you u understand the potential down sides to a diet high in soy products.... This is just one link, but there are others if you google "soy issues"....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx

Now, I am not disagreeing that in certain cases, soy should be limited, but anything from Mercola should really be dismissed out of hand.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do not support this. I find it a decision of de-evolution but this is my opinion.

Should she decide to go through with it PLEASE be aware that nutritional needs are not easily accomplished for a 14 year old girl ( or anyone for that matter) on a vegan diet. Most plant proteins are incomplete and must be complimented with another source to gain the entire amino acid profile. Also: be aware that carbohydrates from many fibrous vegetables are metabolically inert in humans and we derive no nutritional benefit from them as we lack the enzyme cellulase.

Maybe I should clarify that while I support her decision because it's based on her convictions, I am concerned that she won't be getting enough protein and other nutrients she needs at her age. Maybe I should talk to her doctor about it before I give the go ahead. Thanks for the advice.

Quite frankly, if you're that concerned about her getting appropriate nutrition I would advise you to seek out a vegan-friendly registered dietitian. The average MD is not educated in "common" nutrition, let alone vegan nutrition.

She should take a high quality B12 supplement. As VergingOnVegan said, you only need to supplement iron and calcium if she is not eating a well-rounded diet. However, with ANY diet one should be aware of what they are consuming; eating animals doesn't suddenly provide everything that's needed. I would advise any parent to be concerned about their child's diet.

As to complete proteins, basically if she eats a legume and a grain each day there is no issue whatsoever with getting essential amino acids. (see for example: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/tc/healthy-eating-vegetarian-diets-organic-foods). The fear of not getting enough protein on a vegetarian or vegan diet is based on myths that it's hard to do. There are vegan athletes who train at high intensities and I'm sure require more protein than a 14 year old girl and they meet those requirements just fine. I would encourage you to go through reliable nutritional information WITH your daughter to learn more. The site mentioned above is good, as are the books Becoming Vegan and Vegan for Life.

This is excellent advice.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know:

1. How does eating animals suddenly give you everything you need nutritionally speaking? Do people show concern about omni friends' micronutrient consumption? Or do you ask your friends if they get enough fiber or vitamin D or vitamin K?

It doesn't. But vegans are definitely at risk for deficiency in certain vitamins and minerals if they don't plan our their diets mindfully. I'm saying this as a vegan. I pay attention to things like calcium and protein that I didn't think about before eliminating dairy products. Same with B-12, since it's not found in any plant foods.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make, maybe not successfully. Really the question is why aren't ALL people concerned with this? Eating a SAD puts people at risk of being malnourished, but you don't see as many people ringing their hands over it.

You say you pay attention to things like calcium and protein - note that I pointed out micronutrients. I'm sure a lot of people eating a SAD are deficient in some micronutrients, but you don't see people getting all worked up about it. Why isn't everyone telling SAD eaters to expand their horizons, eat a variety of vegetables, eat in season, eat ethnic food - anything to get them to expand what they eat and get adequate nutrition?

I totally get what you are saying. SAD-style eating is the default, so no one questions it. But, many Western diseases are diseases of affluence and overconsumption. That's really the elephant in the room.

I suggest approaching any radical dietary change with knowledge. I vote for Virginia Messina's book 'Vegan for Life' too.

Gah! You quoted me before I caught my typo! I'm too tired to be responding well right now. Now that typo's there forever!!!
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Q; If you’re a vegetarian/vegan, do you really lose the physical ability to digest meat?

Sort of, and only for a short period of time. David Levitsky, a nutrition professor at Cornell University, said the levels of enzymes that digest protein and fat can drop when you stop eating meat. But they quickly rise again once you fall off the wagon. “If you haven’t eaten meat for a while, it’s going to stay in your stomach longer,” but it’ll take only a day or two to recover your meat-digesting ability entirely, he said.

Longtime vegetarians/vegans report nausea and other gastrointestinal symptoms after consuming meat, intentionally or not, but several experts said they knew of no studies on the matter. The symptoms could be the result of those enzymes suddenly being asked to work harder than they have in a while, but Michael Greger, a clinical nutritionist and director of public health and animal agriculture for the Humane Society of the United States, thought it could also be psychosomatic. “What’s really happening is they’re thinking of some poor animal somewhere, and this may actually cause them to throw up,” Greger said.
    [/quote]

I'm not trolling I would like a serious answer. The area I lived in has a large population of vegetarians and vegans that follow certain religious and culture beliefs. I worked in a restaurant that catered to there dietary needs. I was told COUNTLESS times that people would get sick consuming even broth or small amounts of meat,. whether they knew it was meat based broth or not. I also knew some friends that stopped following a vegetarian diet and had a hard time eating any sort of meat product without getting sick. How is it possible if the above is true that this was happening?
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am happy to see that you are supporting her in a very healthy eating lifestyle. I have a friend who has kids growing up with a vegan diet and they are NOT suffering at all. My 21 year old son and I tried it and it didn't work for us. Our pagan belief system is what was really convicting us about it. We both have food issues that make it hard to live with a vegan lifestyle at this time. We will however continue to research it and see the tweeks we would need to do to allow it to work for us. KUDDOS to your daughter..but like others have said..make sure her nutrients aren't suffering and be careful of the soy which can backfire on you. I would suggest the almond milk also. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I think it's respectable that you're supporting your daughter's sense of right and wrong but I'm also going to put this out there that I think vegan diets at this age may not be the best. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's very difficult to meet the needs of her developing body - and you can have serious repercussions for not meeting some of those needs.
    I say this as a girl who was vegan from the age of 13 until 20. I had a lot of strange problems when I was younger, and even nutritionists sometimes don't anticipate all the needs of a young girl's body. Additionally, if you do go through with it I would recommend that you make sure it's a complete diet overhaul not one that "veganizes" foods she may already be eating by relying on soy products. I know they have soy substitutes for just about everything - but for a young girl's body the estrogens in soy products may or may not be very good for her health. Some of the repercussions of my vegan diet for years were osteoporosis at 24 resulting in bone density loss and I had hormonal problems related to over consumption of soy (painful periods, lack of periods, super PMS, hormonal related migraines....). It wasn't fun.

I think you should talk to a nutritionist, but remind your daughter that it might not be good for her body. Some people are perfectly healthy on vegan diets and it really doesn't work for some people. If it doesn't work out of her and she has to incorporate some animal products into her diet, she can still live by her convictions and find sustainable foods.

Additionally I would say as a side warning, a lot of young girls suffering from eating disorders hide their disordered eating by becoming vegetarian, then vegan, and slowly cut more and more foods out of their diet. It works because as it happens slowly over time parents and others around them may not notice how little they are eating.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I join others in recommending Virginia Messina's 'Vegan for Life.' GREAT book!

Yup, great book with a lot of info, written by dietitians. There is info in it about raising vegan kids. Lots of my vegan friends went vegan in their teens and are still going strong 10-20 years later.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    Q; If you’re a vegetarian/vegan, do you really lose the physical ability to digest meat?

Sort of, and only for a short period of time. David Levitsky, a nutrition professor at Cornell University, said the levels of enzymes that digest protein and fat can drop when you stop eating meat. But they quickly rise again once you fall off the wagon. “If you haven’t eaten meat for a while, it’s going to stay in your stomach longer,” but it’ll take only a day or two to recover your meat-digesting ability entirely, he said.

Longtime vegetarians/vegans report nausea and other gastrointestinal symptoms after consuming meat, intentionally or not, but several experts said they knew of no studies on the matter. The symptoms could be the result of those enzymes suddenly being asked to work harder than they have in a while, but Michael Greger, a clinical nutritionist and director of public health and animal agriculture for the Humane Society of the United States, thought it could also be psychosomatic. “What’s really happening is they’re thinking of some poor animal somewhere, and this may actually cause them to throw up,” Greger said.

I'm not trolling I would like a serious answer. The area I lived in has a large population of vegetarians and vegans that follow certain religious and culture beliefs. I worked in a restaurant that catered to there dietary needs. I was told COUNTLESS times that people would get sick consuming even broth or small amounts of meat,. whether they knew it was meat based broth or not. I also knew some friends that stopped following a vegetarian diet and had a hard time eating any sort of meat product without getting sick. How is it possible if the above is true that this was happening?
    [/quote]

I don't have a scientific answer for this one but I have an experiential answer: after not eating meat for 12 years, I started eating meat again and I was mostly fine. A few times I accidentally ate meat and I got really sick and ended up throwing up BUT that probably was more psychological. When I decided to start eating meat again, I started with lean meats and did a lot of research, I didn't experience much discomfort and it went away fairly quickly.
    However, my college boyfriend couldn't eat something with meat. If he did, it resulted in him being pretty sick for a few hours. The difference between us was he was a lifetime vegetarian who until he ate something my grandma probably put bacon in, had never digested meat (he was 25 at that point) and I stopped eating meat around the age of 12.
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Seek out a Vegan friendly NUTRITIONIST doctors (most of them admittedly) lack nutrition knowledge because it's not their job. It's is completely possible to get all the nutrients you need on a vegan or vegetarian diet. Kudos to you and your daughter.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I'm curious to know:

1. How does eating animals suddenly give you everything you need nutritionally speaking? Do people show concern about omni friends' micronutrient consumption? Or do you ask your friends if they get enough fiber or vitamin D or vitamin K?

2. Do you recommend that omnivore friends with children see a doctor/dietitian/nutritionist to make sure their children are getting everything they need? Or if they eat a SAD do you just let it go?

Rhetorical questions, really. I realize the OP asked a question and she's getting answers. Just curious as to how concerned people are about kids eating a SAD and if they would ever say anything, because a lot of people have no problem expressing "concern" when someone eats a veg*n diet.

I'll take on number two but yes, I do recommend all my friends take their kid to a nutritionist if I start to see signs of malnutrition (sallow skin, dark circles, poor or thin hair, brittle thin nails). I do this because as a young adult I suffered from malnutrition due to an eating disorder and I have cousins who suffered from malnutrition living on fast food and junk food diets. We all have health problems related to this lifestyle that we wouldn't want to give to any children we care about. So yes, I do. I also alert parents when I notice their kids practicing disordered eating or any of the pro-ana tips and tricks I used to know so well.

After my experiences, I just think it's important I realize that many people really don't know the signs of malnutrition or eating disorders. Since I do, I try to spread the word. Maybe it will help catch some issues before they get bad: also, I recommend they see nutritionists or dietitians, not doctors because doctors really aren't in the business of studying nutrition and foods.
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Additionally I would say as a side warning, a lot of young girls suffering from eating disorders hide their disordered eating by becoming vegetarian, then vegan, and slowly cut more and more foods out of their diet. It works because as it happens slowly over time parents and others around them may not notice how little they are eating.

one of my closest friends did this---now 21 years old she had been in and out of treatment for eating disorders several times. she would say she couldn't eat whatever we were eating while everyone was hanging out then would binge/purge later when she was by herself.

and i stand by what i said earlier, because from my experiences students find any way possible to ostracize each other, being a teenager is hard enough and you need to choose your battles and as a parent need to be properly able to support your children.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think there are many vegas on this website who actually seem to meet their protein goals by eating from good alternative meat sources. The branches of protein are not the same for every kind of protein source. They are unique, and for fitness goals certain types of proteins are better building blocks. Egg, Soy, Whey, Casein, and etc. Soy protein is pretty popular among vegans I think. People in here really need to stop talking about their own convictions and provide helpful information if possible. Some people turn vegan because they don't believe in killing animals and I respect that. Just make sure your daughter has every nutritional need covered.
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Red flag! A lot of teenagers (adults too) use the vegan diet as a cover up for an eating disorder. If she has an eating disorder or history of eating disorders you need to take her to a dietician and watch her like a hawk to make sure she is eating enough or flat-out say no.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/07/22/when-veganism-is-an-eating-disorder.html
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Red flag! A lot of teenagers (adults too) use the vegan diet as a cover up for an eating disorder. If she has an eating disorder or history of eating disorders you need to take her to a dietician and watch her like a hawk to make sure she is eating enough or flat-out say no.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/07/22/when-veganism-is-an-eating-disorder.html

Have you ever tried to flat-out say no to a teenager, particularly with regards to forcing them to eat something?

When I did it at that age (with no attached eating disorder) if my mother had told me I wasn't allowed to be a vegan, I would probably still be one out of spite.
  • softsculptor
    Options
    I didn't say parenting was easy. Kids need boundaries, and a nutritional diet is an area that should not be up for debate, since it concerns their health.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Alright, this might be extreme implying her daughter has an ED because she wants to be a vegan. Geez, I eat more as a mostly vegan ("vegan pescatarian" fish, and incredibly limited dairy/eggs/etc) than I ever did as a meat eater. I mean, it might be something to keep your eye out for, if you have suspicions, but I would say the odds are that this is a choice she's making for ethical reasons. Or perhaps even just to be counter-culture, and it'll be a short lived phase. Either way encourage it as long as it's not an ED.

B12 is your main problem as a vegan as it only comes from animals (I eat fish 1-2 a week), so I don't have this issue, but there are supplements that can provide this. She should get all her iron if she's eating dark greens, but it probably wouldn't hurt to take a vitamin with iron in it. I myself take a daily multi with 100% iron versus one with no iron just because of my low animal-product diet, but the dark greens have all the iron you need.

The protein myth is ridiculous. You can google this on your own, but it's 100% possible to get enough protein without animal products or even soy. Here's a link to 7 sources of plant protein: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4491/My-Top-7-Sources-of-PlantBased-Protein.html

ALSO, PEOPLE. WHEY IS NOT VEGAN, STOP SUGGESTING IT. Do not give your vegan daughter whey. Whey is an animal by product, and it's in A LOT of products (including doritos /sigh). Whey is a milk by product from after the curdling process. Casein is also NOT vegan - also a milk product! (For the record many "dairy free" cheeses contain Casein including Galaxy). Get used to reading food labels, or teach her to do it herself.

I would recommend going to a nutritionist because of her age. Obviously her health is the most important thing. But go to one who is accepting and understands the needs of a vegan diet.

And if she's being ostracized and wants to stop - she will. She's a teenager guys. That's what teenagers do. Teenagers explore new things and she could be experimenting with things much worse than veganism. Also personally, I can still go out to eat easily. At any sit down restaurant they will make something for me (even if it's just a huge salad with salsa for dressing and a side of steamed broccoli!)

Obviously this is a tender topic for me, but I'm personally SICK of the amount of s*** I get for choosing to eat the way I do. I don't sit there and smack chicken wings away from omnis, so their opinions aren't always welcome. In my experience former veggies/vegans with issues did not eat a balanced diet. (No guys, you can not live on bread your body will stop working). On the other hand I know children that have been vegans since toddler age, and they're doing great!

Good on you for being a parent willing to accept your daughter's diet, AND for wanting to make sure that it's healthy.
  • LunaHare
    LunaHare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the time to read everything that has been said, but there is certainly some good info in this thread.

I am vegan and have been for 8 years now. The one thing I would say is try to avoid soya/soy products if you can. Fermented ones are ok, as they use the whole bean but the milks and other products only use part of the bean and thereby contain high levels of phyto estrogen which the body cannot process properly. This means there *could* be an elevated risk of breast cancer in the future. Its the same reson post menoposal women are told to use soya products as it is helpful then.

It can be hard but once she has switched and it used to it, it becomes a lot easier.

Good luck!

Uma x
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Red flag! Teenagers suffering from anorexia may exercise a lot! If your teen is exercising, make sure you watch them closely for other signs that they may have developed an eating disorder!

Note that this article also points out:

It’s important to note that for most of the country’s roughly 3 million vegans, who don’t consume or wear any animal products, their eating habits never veer into mental illness. . . And studies have found that the physical benefits of veganism, when observed in a healthy way, are extraordinary, including lowered risk of chronic disease, improved heart health, and increased energy.

Problems arise when individuals approach veganism primarily as a vehicle for weight loss . .

(end quote)

No need to go all fear-monger. A parent should be paying enough attention to what goes on with their children to notice changes in behavior.