Walking as exercise

I love to walk. In fact I'd rather walk an hours worth than go out on a jog.
I do go jogging every now and again with my friends but by this I mean jog until we get tired, give up too easily and power walk until we get our breaths.
I do exercise onto of walking but sometimes my days are sos busy that I haven't got time for exercise or it gets late in the evening so I think shoot i have exercised today, I'm now tired so ill go on a walk, maybe to my friends out of town and back. Its an easy workout.
However, everyone I speak to tells me that walking is useless. I'm burning no calories and I'm never going to get fit by walking. They tell me that instead of going on an hours walk why don't I go on a half hour jog instead. I have tried but with me being really unfit, I get tired too quickly and end up giving up and resulting to a 4mph power walk.

Does walking actually work or is it a pointless exercise??

Replies

• needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    They are so wrong, any activity can help you lose weigh if you eat healthy. Walking is a great way to get fit and active, a leisure stroll will probably not do it but a power walk will get you fit.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    And keep up those power walks. they do work.
  • Iric1783
    Iric1783 Posts: 26 Member
    Alot of my excercise has been walking to be honest...I power walk with my Ipod on & I have lost weight!! I am now into backpacking / hiking aswell, and am climbing Mount Snowdon next week, and this all began with walking...If you use a HRM you will see how many calories you burn..
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    I walk to the gym every morning and then on to work - which totals to 1hr of walking. At a brisk pace with my HRM on, I burn around 460 calories. That doubles if I find the energy to walk home!

I am a great advocate of walking!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    They are idiots or at least very misguided. Even a pleasant stroll in my area leads to serious calorie burn and fitness increases, sure if you are strolling around a car park you wont achieve much but it still costs energy, no escaping the laws of thermodynamics.

peak_district_027_mid.jpg

Tell them to come walk over the hills near me and then say walking does nothing for fitness, might want to give them 10-15 minutes though, they wont be able to talk.
  • They are so wrong, any activity can help you lose weigh if you eat healthy. Walking is a great way to get fit and active, a leisure stroll will probably not do it but a power walk will get you fit.

This is what I was going to tell you as well. Don't let others fool you. Power walking is great exercise. My grandma is 82, and she is still fit. She's been power walking all her life. She has never felt the urge to jog or run. So, yes, it is a great form of exercise (especially an hours worth)!!!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    I'm happy to say that you are getting great exercise when you walk. I am unable to jog/run because of spinal issues, but I have seen an exercise physiologist who has given me a targeted heart rate for a good cardio workout for me individually. I wear a heart monitor when I go out walking, and believe me I easily reach my target heart rate and get a good work out! Besides, walking is much easier on your joints which you need to take care of as you will be using them for a very long time :-)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    First off, walking is an excellent workout. Infact, I notice faster results when I walk compared to other workouts.

Second, we're building a lifestyle. I WANT to like weight lifting but I don't. I enjoy boxing, biking and walking. Sure i try other workouts but these 3 I see myself doing over my lifetime or for a long time atleast. If you enjoy walking, then walk. Who cares which workout is the best and which isn't. If you don't enjoy those workouts, you won't be doing them over a long enough period and give up. Walking is a humble workout but if you enjoy it, it's far better than sitting on your couch eating potato chips. Right?
  • Hi there I also prefer walking as exercise and have definitely seen the benefits. this link should help to confirm that it is a very valid form of exercise all round.:smile:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/HQ01612
  • seehe
    LOL Where do you live- that is beautiful!
  • spiralz
    spiralz Posts: 4 Member
    Alot of my excercise has been walking to be honest...I power walk with my Ipod on & I have lost weight!! I am now into backpacking / hiking aswell, and am climbing Mount Snowdon next week, and this all began with walking...If you use a HRM you will see how many calories you burn..

bang on advice, the only thing I would add is that it will take longer just walking.

but to say walking is no good is pure rubbish.

if you do want to learn to run however without too much pain there is an app for smartphones called "couch to 5k" it teaches how to start and VERY slowly work your way from walking to a decent run, i've seen so many people who said " I can never run" become addicted runners just through following that app.

good luck in whatever you try.
  • Yes walking is brilliant excersise! I have had a 'dodgy hip' for as long as I can remember which means it often slips out of place doing running or cycling but is fine while walking!
    I have found that it helps me lose weight, improves my fitness and has even helped my hip get a little better! x
  • I very rarely do any other exercise other than walking due to health issues... but it does work I have now lost over 3st, it may take slightly longer than if you were hitting the gym instead but it works :) and if you enjoy it then go for it.
    Jogging can be harsh on your joints if you are overweight and if you are not enjoying it then whats the point you will get fed up with it :)
  • Chairless

I think this is directed at me, on the edge of the Peak District national park, England.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Ignore them Hun, my gp (doc) is a jogger, does all the marathons in UK but he says walking is better for you as it doesn't put the pressure on the joints like jogging does (if we are talking pavements here!) & he reckons its one of the best forms of all round exercise there is.

I walk a lot & have really noticed a difference in my fitness & mood levels so keep going your doin a fantastic job
    (I wear a HRM when walking & believe me you can burn some serious calories!!)?

Happy walking
    :bigsmile: x
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    As Leslie Sansone would say "walk, walk, walk"! Great DVDs which I use if the weather is pants outside (which it frequently is in the UK of late :grumble: )

I power walk and also belong to a Nordic walking group (very brisk walking with poles). I can burn up to 350-400 calories an hour doing this. I have totally shot knees - partly as I am middle aged (53) but also from doing a lot of running and field events when I was younger - so running is a no-no for me.

Like Chairless, I also live in a very hilly/mountainous area (Wales) and I defy anyone to come here and say a brisk walk doesn't get them fit and burn calories!!

You keep up your power walking girl - it is GREAT exercise!
  • seehe
    They are idiots or at least very misguided. Even a pleasant stroll in my area leads to serious calorie burn and fitness increases, sure if you are strolling around a car park you wont achieve much but it still costs energy, no escaping the laws of thermodynamics.

Tell them to come walk over the hills near me and then say walking does nothing for fitness, might want to give them 10-15 minutes though, they wont be able to talk.

So I meant to quote you before my other reply, but haven't done that before , so goofed up, but as I was saying, your hills are beautiful! Where is that? PS. How Do you post photos?
  • pamtram
    pamtram Posts: 67 Member
    Nothing wrong with walking. It's fantastic compared to sitting on your butt in front of TV.

Good on you for getting out there and exercising
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member

I think this is directed at me, on the edge of the Peak District national park, England.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/

I live in Wales - on the edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park - another beautiful moutainous part of the UK. I love the Peaks and walk there often on holiday :heart:
  • Chairless

So I meant to quote you before my other reply, but haven't done that before , so goofed up, but as I was saying, your hills are beautiful! Where is that? PS. How Do you post photos?

see above :D

link photos like this

replace the uppercase IMG on both sides with lowercase img