Marathon runners why are they not all stick thin???

Options

Replies

• DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Simply put, they are eating back what they burn off through running. Obvious really! Do a half marathon and thats only like 1500 calories...easily eaten back with a pizza hut. huge desert/ eating lotus throughout the day.
    With regards other comments...cross training is NOT vital for long distance running. Cross training will not even make you a faster runner. It might make you less injury prone, and keep you busy on rest days, but it is certainly not vital for long distance running. To be a better runner you simply need to run more.
    Also, with greater fitness does NOT come greater biomechanical efficiency. In other words, just because it becomes easier to run long distances, it does NOT alter the total energy requirement to run that distance (the total caloric burn). A lower heart rate does not mean less calories are used.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I gained weight while training for my marathon. Mainly because I was hungry all the time. Plus you use gels and what not to keep your energy up there on the road. However, I didn't increase in size at all. I wore the same clothes, had the same measurements etc etc. And as soon as I was done training, my weight dropped back down, plus 10lbs more. I'm sure it was because I was eating, sleeping, and training, then repeating :)

I do have thyroid issues, and honestly, weight isn't the only problem connected, it is simply a lack of energy too.

I love it when the bigger people run past me, I'm so proud of them for being out there and moving and doing this type of event. Marathoning isn't as much physical as it is mental, anyone can run, but not just everyone runs a marathon. It's not about the physical fitness to some, it's about the determination and dedication.

I also look at the super thin ones and justify it's genetic - I just wasn't built like that.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with diet. Many runners carb up, but may not concentrate on lean proteins. Some do not do resistance training either and they don't work on lean muscle tissue. That may be the reason why your sister doesn't look leaner from all the running she does.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Initially I agree with the whole - they are eating more than they are burning theory.

But then I thought of myself ... a fat runner... who is just a work in progress.
    Are people looking at me laughing at me wondering how I can possibly eat the excess calories from my run?
    Im a work in progress... and probably look hysterically funny on the track in my tight capris and tank top ... but I have no other choice because if you dont wear moisture wicking clothing for distance running it all chafes... yuck!

Im gonna do my first half marathon... and people will probably look at me and think... wow how is she so fat?
    But... ponder this one... I havent lost hardly a pound in the last month, yet my clothes keep getting looser?
    Conversion from fat to muscle? I never bought that idea, but it just might be true!

I for one, commend the heavy runners. I look for them at every race ... and I always pick one or two to go over to and say "hey you kick butt!"
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I was reading a book about running and one of the sections was on diet and nutrition. The author quoted a fellow runner saying that "he ran because he liked to eat". Fair enough, I thought. Running burns serious calories and would enable a person to eat more and not gain weight. However, it is about getting that balance right.... it's easy to eat way over your calorie requirements if you don't count them.
  • erinn9
    erinn9 Posts: 1
    Options
    This topic has often puzzled me. I am currently training for my first marathon & am no stranger to dieting/counting cals & weight loss. From years of various workouts I have learned that running 3 miles a few times a week leads to weightloss where as running 6+ miles leads to gaining. I think this is because every little calorie you consume your body stores because runs that are that long leave your body going "wtf?" and it clings to calories that much more. I've been down to 125 lbs (5'7" female) but I was the weakest I've ever been in my life doing only 120 minutes of cardio a week & simply some ab routines & lat pull downs, now I'm at 140 lbs, my pants barely fit & I've gained quite a few inches on my waist, but I can easily run 6 miles without breaking a sweat & lift more weight than ever. Some is clearly muscle, but there's definitely fat there too despite eating well under 2000 cal a day most of which is protein & fiber. In conclusion, must be genetics for most.
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's all about the food. A *lot* of people think to themselves, "I'm running so much that I can eat whatever I want" when in fact they aren't actually running enough for what they eat.

To be honest, 30-40 miles per week is NOT a large amount of running for a marathoner.... most marathon training programs peak the mileage quite a bit higher than that. The pros are running 100+ miles per week, consistently, and average people will usually peak with at least 50 miles per week.

Two years ago I was training for a 50 mile race and my training mileage was pretty high (60+ miles in some weeks) and I was constantly hungry, ate a ton, and still lost weight. So it can happen, but your mileage has to be pretty high. Now I am running about 25-35 miles per week and have to watch my calories or I will overeat.

Also, as someone said above... it doesn't always matter. I'm happy to have a body that is strong and healthy, and can do what I want it to do... so I don't obsess over a few extra pounds. Sometimes the number on the scale (or on the size tag) really doesn't matter.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm about to run my second half marathon in just over a week and my body type sounds exactly like the type you described.

I eat to fuel my runs, but still at a deficit about 85% of the time. (I have a Body Media Fit that I've worn for about a year and a half)

I never lose weight while I train for a race. Sometimes my middle gets a little leaner, but not by much. And my weight at the start of training is almost exactly the same as at the end.

My training schedule includes two nights of full body, heavy lifting, strength, along with speed intervals and cross cardio, so it's not just all running.

I eat about 40/30/30 on most days and then closer to 50/25/25 on the heavier cardio days (long run days mostly). I eat about 80% fresh, homemade from scratch foods, more than enough veggies, whole grain carbs, and just generally as good as I can. I don't eat back 100% of my calories but I pay attention to my daily deficit and try to stay around a 500-800 calorie deficit each day. But the weight doesn't budge.

As soon as I stop training, continue eating in the same healthy manner, the weight starts coming off again.

Once I started running in earnest and training for races, I've actually put back in 20lbs that I'd lost prior to race training. Again, keeping a caloric deficit about 85% of the days that whole time. So I'm actually looking forward to getting this next (last) race done and over with to see if I can drop this weight back off.

Whatever it is about running, it just doesn't act as a weight loss mechanism for me. I have two friends that as soon as they started running they leaned out into beautiful runners bodies. Another friend started running with them and has had the same results as me. We've compared notes and we're all doing pretty much the same thing (though the leaner folks are actually less meticulous about weighing and portioning as I am). But what works for one body just won't necessarily work for another. So it's time for me to get back to what was working for me before I tried running. And it may just be the same thing for your sister.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    When I decided to run my first and only marathon, so far, I was at my heaviest after coming off of a knee injury. I was at 150 lbs (a lot for my 5'1" frame) starting from zero cardio fitness. Hadn't moved much while recovering. I did slowly lose 12 lbs while training, but was still a hair "obese" according to my BMI, come race day.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I almost wish I hadn't read this thread...

I am a fat runner. I have completed several 5Ks, a 10K, an obstacle race, and I'm training for a Spartan Sprint in Dec and my first half marathon in January.

Runners do not run because they are trying to be rail thin. Running is not the exercise to do if you are looking to drop 30+ lbs. Runners do it because we love it. Something inside of us pushes us to go from walking to jogging to running.

This thread has reminded me of what other people must be thinking when they see overweight runners like myself out there pushing through 1, 2, 13 miles. I have to really concentrate on not letting it get to me that ppl are judging me for my size.

I started running to prove to myself that just because I was "fat" did not mean I couldn't do it. And I was right. I love it when people are awesome enough to come up to me after a race and say, "You were great out there. I wish I could do that!" I hope one day other people will stop looking at running as only a sport for the incredibly thin person. I have friends who are at a healthy weight who can't keep up with me during runs.

Try not to look at us "fat" runners as people who "run to eat". We run because we can. We run because we must. We do NOT run to lose weight.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've run four marathons and countless halves and shorter races. At my peak, I hit 50 miles per week in training. That's a lot for a tired mom. I was 13-30 lbs overweight during all of them, candy apple on a stick shape. My legs got granite hard, but the belly never went away. Basically, it's what Erickirb said, that you don't get the big-time burn once your body is accustomed to that much running, and also the dietary aspect. However, people are acting like we must eat crap all day long to overcome that deficit. The fact is, it isn't hard. Say I run 17 miles as my longest run of the week. That's about three hours for me. I burn about 1600-1800 calories. During the run, I am taking in an extra 300 cal, probably, a gatorade and a Gu. After three hours on the road, an ice bath, and a shower, I am famished and go out to eat with my family. I have always had a big appetite, and after a big run you do have some entitlement issues. So I have a burger, or a big plate of pasta, or whatever, because I earned it. That's probably 1,000 extra calories. Add in a dessert or a drink or a soda and you're maybe a few hundred under for the day. OK, then the next day you rest, so you have no exercise calories, but you're still hungrier than usual from the previous day's effort, so you probably go over by 300 or more. Think about it, a full marathon gets you less than a pound worth of burned calories, and you have to eat lots of them back to accomplish it in the first place. My coach always used to get hysterical when I tried to drop weight during marathon training. You have to fuel the work.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy while training for a marathon, but dieting does not work, you simply won't have the energy to run a couple of 40 mile weeks.

I burn about 3000 cals during the actual marathon. For the three days afterwards I can eat my body weight in protein, I'm that hungry. That is a lot of calories that you are eating back.

I try to watch what I eat, but my bottomline is that I love running more than I would love to be stick thin. I'd rather have the energy to drive my engine and that is a fine balance to keep.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am so in awe of bigger runners. I am not very heavy and find running really hard work. I can look at a skinny runner and think 'Maybe if I lost a little more I'd find running easier'; I look at a larger runner and think 'Wow! I wish I was that fit!'.

I had a colleague who really admired me for my weight loss and came to me for tips. She has thyroid problems, I don't. I lose weight really easily, she doesn't; she runs 5km regularly, while I find 1km challenging. I admired her too, probably more, because she had to work to be a runner and all I did was eat less and have lucky genetics.

To the OP, does your sister WANT to lose weight? If so, I can understand your puzzlement. If not, from what you describe, she may well be close to the ideal weight for her health. Fat carried as you describe, in the hips and thighs, has been proven to have heart health benefits (unlike my spare tyre :tongue: ).
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, myself and several running buddies put on weight while training for marathons. I was clinically obese when I did my first.

It has already been mentioned that marathon training is specifically designed to make the body more efficient, i.e. burn fewer calories to cover the same distance. There is also a law of diminishing returns - you do not burn twice as many calories running 20 miles as you do running 10, for example, as different energy sources and mechanisms kick in, and calorie calculators do not take this into account.

Finally, while it's possible to train on a deficit, it's very, very difficult. You're running at least every other day in an average programme and if you haven't replenished your energy stores between sessions your next one will, frankly, be rubbish.
  • RunningWithoutAWatch
    Options

Runners do not run because they are trying to be rail thin. Running is not the exercise to do if you are looking to drop 30+ lbs. Runners do it because we love it.

I would have to disagree with this statement. I lost 45 pounds by running. I hardly lifted weights. I may have done some pushups, but the main activity was and still is running.

Diet is the key. I never drank anything but water. Many times people think if they are running, they can eat what ever they want.

I wrote about this today on my blog.

Jay

http://www.runningwithoutawatch.com/2012/08/diet-vs-exercise.html
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Obviously some of them *are* losing, but not there yet (like me). And some of them will be grossly overeating. You do get very hungry, when you do endurance running. And it's alluring to think you're burning *so much* that you don't have to worry about what you eat. If you're not watching the balance of intake and expenditure, it's not hard to overdo it on food, and still gain weight. A lot of people intuitively eat 'to hunger' - you could easily overshoot, with post run hunger drives being quite intense. (The day after a long run, there's a part of me just wants to eat *all the food*.)

Running is a very efficient calorie burn. But you can't outrun bad diet

(Oh and before the super dooper lifters who like to frequent macdonalds, burger king and pizza hut but also like to dole out the dietary and fitness advice as if they knew it all show up to grump about how 'dreadful' running is ... yeah, that bad diet is going to catch up with you lot too... :-) )
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There's also an element of cause and effect. Good marathon runners are thin because being thin makes them fast, not just because running marathons makes them thin.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    um 1 bmi is crap a healthy weight for me would put me still in the obese range and if i get close to a proper bmi my doc starts looking for signs of an eating disorder body weight percentage is a better track for it 2 frankly i carry weight in 2 places usually body fat in the chest and muscle weight in my legs (tho im trying to change that last one a little bit) some of them may have bulky muscles for various reasons
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think if she isn't concerned about her weight than you shouldn't be either. Maybe she runs partly because she can eat more. Who are we to judge what a runners body should look like. The only bodies we can control are our own. Everyone has their own story.
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm currently Trainin for my first 1/2 and want to thank everyone for the good advice on this thread . I have been in martial arts for years and been overweight because of the "I just worked out 2.5 hrs I can eat whatever I want" mentality. I am currently running about 6mi a day but am also watching what I eat for the first time in my life . I have lost 10 lbs in the last 4 weeks and my body is reshaping ... Yeah ! Hopin to be under 200 in 2012 and never return to my love to workout sand eat unhealthy old self

Thanks again
    Mark .

Feel free to friend me if you want friends that run ;
    I also use runkeeper to track my progress . Same name as on here