What sushi rolls do you get?

Options

Replies

• jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Honestly when it comes to Sushi, I absolutely pay no attention to calories LOL--i just try to eat no more than 4. Love my sushi and I like pretty much all of them :)
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i get the smoked salmon roll from kroger
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something high protein, you can ask to try a sample of the squid salad. It sounds terrible but I saw it on MFP's database and thought I'd ask the restaurant about it. I LOVED it.

Also, the last time I went for sushi, I found a comparable "base roll" ( eel and cucumber) and added 1/4 avocado to match what I was actually eating. Another time I got the asparagus tempura roll and self added the salmon sashimi and sauce (sushi sauce) into the MFP database. I was very surprised at how many cals a simple 8 piece roll had. I love sushi and have to really hold back!
  • Missy_Monroe
    Missy_Monroe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatley there isn't much for "LOW CAL" in sushi... Sashimi is a good option IF you like it (this is the pieces of raw fish with no rice).

There is not much way to avoid calories (mostly due to the rice) but you can still make "healthier" choices. Like avoiding anything battered (i.e. Tempura) and as much as I LOVE crab and shrimp, they have much higher calories and natural sugars compared to Salmon or Tuna. Avacado is always a good choice just simply based on the health benefits of avacado.

My absolute favorite is Unagi (cooked eel) but it is HIGH in calories so I try to avoid sushi unless it is a "treat" day lol
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating sushi, counting calories is the farthest thing from my mind. It's one of my guilty "once in a while" pleasures.

True that.

YES! I get the spider roll!!!!
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options
    None - seafood's gross. That being said, I wish I liked it and try it all the time hoping one day I will!

I don't like sushi either but you should try a veggie roll or a surf and turf roll (usually seared beef and shrimp), and even ask for it with a soy wrapper instead of seaweed. I've had them and they are pretty good. It's a good way to go out with friends even when they go to a sushi place!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love sushi. If you stay away from the fried stuff and the saucy stuff you'll do fine. I like yellowtail scallion rolls, scallop rolls, tuna rolls and I LOVE a good rainbow roll. I also like the pieces, mainly salmon and tuna.

Fill up on some miso soup beforehand and you won't eat as many rolls! And use low sodium soy.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I get one tuna roll (6 peices) for 184 calories and one yellowtail roll (6 pieces) for 216 calories. I'll also get a house salad with the ginger dressing. Total calories for the meal is 495 calores. Had it last night, in fact! It feels like a real treat, and its under 500 calories, filling and very low on sodium!

I also like the salmon roll, 6 pieces is 130 calories. The yellowtail is my favorite...so flavorful!!

All three of these rolls have the seafood, white rice and the seaweed wrapping only.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice Avacado and Cucumber...but I am a vegetarian (don't eat seafood).
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Yum!!! If you like the raw stuff, and you want to be on the better side some options are the nigiri (fish on rice), sashimi (just fish) and have some rice on the side. Miso soup is low cal. And edamame is low cal, high fibre. I say, go and enjoy. Limit the amount of tempura/fried, and potenitally you could ask them not to use any mayo in the rolls, as that is quite common.

Enjoy!! Sushi rocks!!! :D
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    get whatever you want and ask them to be light on the rice.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    When I go out for sushi I opt for sashimi.

Sashimi is just raw fish, so you don't have to worry about rice, cream cheese, sauces, all the stuff that takes sushi from healthy to not so much.

Salmon, Yellowtail, Mackeral are some of my favs. Mmmm sashimi...
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Start with miso, then unagi, usually a californian or a smoked salmon roll, tempura, and lots of green tea.

I haven't gone for sushi in a while. Might roll my own tonight. Mmmmmm ran out of miso paste, though. May have to wait so I can have the full experience.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I usually get chirashi - it's sashimi on top of a bowl of sushi rice.

It's pretty easy to estimate things from there. And I usually only eat 1/3-1/2 of the rice.

Thanks for naming this - will have to look for it next time I go for sushi :)
  • laurenjessica315
    laurenjessica315 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All rolls and handrolls wrapped in cucumber (no rice) - yellowtail and scallion handroll, spicy tuna, and amazing specialty roll that has tuna, salmon and egg cake - amaz with the cucumber wrap. Sometimes sprinkled with a little crunch if I'm feeling like indulging (plus I figure the calories cut out from no rice will be made up for with it).
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just don't get anything with a sauce or panko crumbs or something that's been fried- it should say in the description. For example the eel rolls where I go have a sweet, sticky, teriyaki-ish sauce that's gotta be unhealthy (between the salt and the sugar, yikes..).

I'd also avoid the imitation crab stuff cause that's just weird and processed and salty...

AND use low sodium soy sauce if it's availble. It's still ridiculously salty, but at least it's trying :)

ENJOY!!! I love sushi!
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Unagi!!!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Spicy Tuna and Spicy Salmon Roll=Yum
    290 calories for 6 rolls of Spicy Tuna. You can have that with like a Miso Soup or a Seaweed Salad. Delicious.
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Spicy Tuna roll for sure, and depending on what my calories look like for the day, a Philly roll.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I like it all! I usually try to get avocado, salmon, cucumbers, maybe spicy tuna! This is making me hungry!