My appointment with the Nutritionist

Options
124»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well if that's the case, sounds like there are a lot of crappy RDs out there. Makes me sad to hear that. I guess I've been fortunate to be around ones who know what they're talking about.

Or they just know more than a student.

Damn, you're really hurting my feelings.

As someone who's currently in school studying the latest research and in the midst of a clinical internship, I feel like I do sorta know what I'm talking about. I guess a license is the only thing I'm lacking if I want people to take me seriously. Because having a license automatically means you're right, obviously.

The post wasn't meant to hurt your feelings nor is this one. But you are working towards the very license you are suggesting means little, are you not? The license and the continuing education it takes to keep it does mean something. And getting individual advice from someone with that license should mean something. Are all RD perfect? Of course not, but someday when you have yours and someone says your advice is wrong because it's not what they wanted to hear or it doesn't match what they read on the internet, try to recall this thread.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I am currently working on my degree in dietetics and I wouldn't agree with everything she has said. However, I do know if you ask ten dietitions the same questions you probably will get a few different answers. I believe in eating your exercise calories or at least some of them back. We need to eat to lose.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Well if that's the case, sounds like there are a lot of crappy RDs out there. Makes me sad to hear that. I guess I've been fortunate to be around ones who know what they're talking about.

As someone who's currently in school studying the latest research and in the midst of a clinical internship, I feel like I do sorta know what I'm talking about. I guess a license is the only thing I'm lacking if I want people to take me seriously. Because having a license automatically means you're right, obviously.

All students feel this way. Once you start working, you will feel the opposite way. It's human nature.

I don't know whether you know more than someone with a license or not, but I do know that feeling you have now will change and you will no longer believe a student knows more than you.

The problem is, we learn what we are taught. And there are studies that support every position. What you know and believe is likely completely opposite of what someone else at another school knows and believes. Once you start practicing, you see things day to day. You learn from experience. Your beliefs will likely change again.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    1) Thanks for posting this, OP
    2) Thank you peachy for giving us your answers. I do think those sound more reasonable.

I met with a *nutritionist* at my doctor’s office and asked her about exercise calories. She at first said not to eat them. However, when discussing how many calories to eat, she said that she normally recommends 1300, but 1600 would work for me because I work out so much.

In essence, she did support eating exercise calories.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Like, it's ridiculous to tell someone you MUST workout for an hour a day, six days a week. That is a flat-out lie.

^^ I head this from a dietician as well. I'm pretty sure I was told that is the new guideline--can't remember exactly though.

I find the answers interesting because they are what I have been told by dieticians as well (as a Type 1 diabetic, I've been seeing registered dieticians for years). Of course, the things I was told in 1990 are not the same things I am being told today.

Interesting, I've never learned that about physical activity recommendations. I know 60 minutes is the recommended amount for kids and teens. But I'll have to ask my professors if they have any more recent information than what I'm aware of.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

The post wasn't meant to hurt your feelings nor is this one. But you are working towards the very license you are suggesting means little, are you not? The license and the continuing education it takes to keep it does mean something. And getting individual advice from someone with that license should mean something. Are all RD perfect? Of course not, but someday when you have yours and someone says your advice is wrong because it's not what they wanted to hear or it doesn't match what they read on the internet, try to recall this thread.

That was sarcasm about hurting my feelings. I know RDs need continuing education and I know they aren't all perfect. But to the best of my knowledge, some of the information suggested in OPs post was downright wrong, and I just wanted to offer my thoughts on the parts that sounded "off". I'm practicing under an RD right now, so it's not like I've never been out in the real world with patients, and I'm not trying to say I'm right because it's what I learned in lecture. I'm sorry, but all I was trying to do is offer another point of view. Guess I'll keep my mouth shut until I graduate.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Like, it's ridiculous to tell someone you MUST workout for an hour a day, six days a week. That is a flat-out lie.

^^ I head this from a dietician as well. I'm pretty sure I was told that is the new guideline--can't remember exactly though.

I find the answers interesting because they are what I have been told by dieticians as well (as a Type 1 diabetic, I've been seeing registered dieticians for years). Of course, the things I was told in 1990 are not the same things I am being told today.

Interesting, I've never learned that about physical activity recommendations. I know 60 minutes is the recommended amount for kids and teens. But I'll have to ask my professors if they have any more recent information than what I'm aware of.

It may be based on data from the National Weight Control Registry (similar to what their data shows for the average person losing at least 30 lbs and keeping it off for at least a year).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_127931
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_127931

Thanks for the link, it looks similar to the most recent US guidelines.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Ah, wrong Dublin.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    You really should check people's qualifications before parting with money.

Hear, hear.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

Ah, wrong Dublin.

Lol, nice.

US guidelines: http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/factsheetprof.aspx
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Ah, wrong Dublin.

Lol, nice.

US guidelines: http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/factsheetprof.aspx

Maybe it was the 5 hours per week I was told--1 hour 5 days per week. I'm going to have to go back and check now.
  • fortyonetogo
    Options
    Did you see a "nutritionist" or a registered dietitian?

There's absolutely, positively, no way a dietician wrote those replies.

Yeah that's what I thought too lol but I just wanted to clarify.

My insurance covered it because it was with a registered dietitian at the hospital. So she's legit.

Curious as to what made you say she wasn't. Not trying to start trouble just a friendly conversation : )

I'm in school to be a dietitian and I've observed a number of different dietitians counseling clients. I've just never heard RDs give advice like that, and I probably would have answered all those questions very differently.
  • saraemily5
    saraemily5 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything she said... seriously.

If you ever watch 'the biggest loser' or 'extreme makeover: weight loss edition' they have those people on a set amount of cals/day... usually between 1200-2000 cals/day - the smaller females 1200 cals/day, the larger males 2000 cals/day with a wide variety in between. Then they work out an insane amoutn - like 4-6 HOURS a day at least. So they 'net' negative calories every day - and that is how they lose weight!!! I agree - as long as you are getting the nutrients your body needs, and at least that 1200 cals a day, then it's fine. And you CAN go below that 1200 cals a day if you are medically monitored like optifast. My goal is 1200 cals a day - on the days I work out - even if I burn 1000 cals, I will allow myself 1500 cals, but I don't eat them all back! I dont' work out just to eat!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    So how would you have answered them?

I'm only a student but if I were meeting with a client in my supervised practice, this is how I would have addressed the questions.

Q: Is starvation mode real and at what point does it kick in?
    A: "Starvation mode" is how the body responds to prolonged periods of reduced caloric intake. True physiological starvation (demonstrated in the Minnesota starvation study, look this up for more info) may be seen during famines for example, or other times of several restricted caloric intake. The body isn't getting the energy or nutrients it needs, and in addition to using it's own fat for energy, the body will start to break down lean body mass as well. It does NOT "kick in" at 1200 calories

Q: Does this apply the same way if I don't NET 1200 calories.
    A: Yes. If you eat 1200 calories but then you burn 1200 calories through exercise, you are not providing your body adequate energy to maintain all the other vital functions.

Q: Do you recommend eating exercise calories?
    A: It depends upon how you've calculated your calorie needs. If you determined needs based on a sedentary activity level, yes, eat those back. If you set your goal based upon a higher activity level, no, don't eat them back, because that activity is already accounted for in your calorie allotment.

Q: What if I'm really hungry after a hard workout?
    A: Eat! Choose a snack that provides both carbs and protein.

Q: Do you promote calorie cycling?
    A: I don't promote it but I don't have a problem with it. It can help some people break through a plateau.

Q: Well, I've noticed that when I do calorie cycling I lose more that week.
    A: I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

Q: Why am I more hungry some days than others?
    A: Day to day changes in the body. I do mostly agree with what your nutritionist said on this question.

Q: What is your opinion on juicing?
    A: It's a good way to get a lot of nutrients, but it doesn't have the benefit of fiber that you get from eating whole fruits and vegetables.

Q: What is the recommended weight loss rate?
    A: In general I'd say 1 lb a week. For someone who is very obese, it can be more. For someone who is very close to their goal weight I'd only aim for 0.5 lb a week.

Q: How much exercise is enough?
    A: General recommendations are 30 minutes a day, five days a week. But it is very dependent upon your own personal goals. Whether you're trying to lose weight, build muscle, etc. The type of exercise factors is too. 30 minutes of running is gonna be different than 30 minutes of walking. Or 30 minutes of yoga.

Q: I'm kinda all over the place with exercise. Haven't found anything I love so I mix it up. Is this ok?
    A: That's fine. I am glad to hear you're doing strength training. Just be sure you are doing a strength training routine written by a professional, at this point in your fitness journey. Order and type of exercises is important. Going into the weight room and just doing whatever you feel like isn't going to be quite as beneficial.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything and I'd be happy to.

I like your answers! :flowerforyou:
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I think it all sounds very reasonable to me. Maybe the people saying she is a moron are actually morons themselves.

I agree with the above comment. Although some of you may not AGREE - let's be real - who is the professional who studied NUTRITION for minimum 5 years straight?? Then did an internship for at least a year under a licensed professional.

Don't get me wrong - I agree there will always be a difference of opinions - but calling ANYONE A MORON is ridiculous. She shared professional advise with all of us. She didn't have to. You don't like it, move on.

To the OP - Thank you for sharing this. It was great of you to take the time out of your day to relay this to all of us.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Being obese is worse for your health than starvation mode, and a lot easier to correct. ..... Other than possibly smoking there are few things worse for your health than being very overweight.

This is from your source (although I 'm not at all sure I'd consider Wikipedia a legitimate source):
    Among the conclusions from the study was the confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Indeed, most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression.[1]:161 There were extreme reactions to the psychological effects during the experiment including self-mutilation (one subject amputated three fingers of his hand with an axe, though the subject was unsure if he had done so intentionally or accidentally).[5] Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation.[1]:123-124 The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity. There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject’s basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate. Some of the subjects exhibited edema (swelling) in their extremities, presumably due to the massive quantities of water the participants consumed attempting to fill their stomachs during the starvation period.{/quote]