Would you ignore it..or get involved? RANT!

Oh my..I'm soo GRR right now! A friend from my gym(she probably has at least 150 to lose) just mentioned how she was worried to try out some of the gym classes..... She said because this one girl(who I know) might be there.. I said? Why?! She proceeds to tell me that she was on a treadmill one day and her and her skinny friends were making fun of her and calling her fat and laughing at her... it just breaks my heart :brokenheart: Ok.. I really dont want to lose my gym membership..but someone needs a B*tch slap down.. :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

My number one loathing attribute of humanity..People who think they are better than someone else because of looks..

I was there before..having a lot of weight to lose.....and I'm not saying I am currently some bikini model:noway: .but I know how she feels. Its very intimating to go to a gym and feel like people are starting because of your size...it reminds me of the teasing and taunting some kids got in grade school...like..really? We are adults here...Geeeeezz!

Please please PLEASE..just give people a smile...a hello..just getting to that gym without canceling because they felt
self-conscious a huge feat in itself...:cry::cry: That small gesture of kindness will go so far..you have no idea...

I had tears in my eyes she told me too..and I hugged her tight..the sweet thing! :sad: :sad:

Now..I can TOTALLY take this girl out... I just gotta figure out how I can do it..legally...:wink:

Replies

• WOW!! That totally breaks my heart! SO manypeople give up because of that! That is why I workout at home. I dont have to worry about people looking at me ! lol!
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    lol calm down killer o.o dont let this female get the best of you D:.

but @ the end of the day i agree with you... let the haters be your fuel, you are better then to sink to her lvl tho i agree she needs a wake up call ;).^^ xx

i would ignore it for now. unless it keeps going on. then a nice sweet lil talk with her .. if she keeps it up.. just dont kill her o.o you dont want to get kicked out the gym :(
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    First, I would tell her that living well is the best revenge. Then, if you can, go to the class with her so she doesn't feel so alone in it.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Oh wow! That would tick me off, the girl is there at the gym she is obviously aware of her state and wants to fix it. I don't understand people who make fun of people while trying to make changes. Been there, honestly I don't know what I'd do. When I am ticked off I usually run my mouth and cause more problems.

Honestly the best thing for your friend to do, is to ignore her and let her be her motivator, she is hating on her and obviously has insecurities of her own which is why she is hating on your friend. Tell her to prove them wrong and keep doing what she is doing because there are people out there who are cheering her own and she probably don't even know it.
  • Oh that poor girl :( Tell the gym management and hopefully they will stop this abuse. This is the main reason I hate the gym. Exactly.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    I really hope that this girl is in the minority at your gym. What a horrible feeling :(

The girl really can't day much in that class. I wouldn't worry too much if I were her. Don't give her the power. :)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    When people are mean to me...or just in general....I just think to myself..."Karma's a b*tch...and one of these days she'll come back around." (hopefully for these ladies.)
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    The best thing you and your friend could do is show up in the damn class and KICK *kitten*. People make me sick, and one thing your friend could do is, They might be skinny but SO UGLY on the inside to do that..
  • Cms5227
    Cms5227 Posts: 13
    I would certainly mention the incident to the management at the gym. That's a terrible thing to happen to someone at a place that is supposed to be for health and self improvement. I would think that they would certainly be concerned about behavior like that as I would imagine it's terrible for business.
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    I used to own a small gym and I never tolerated that behavior. She really needs to go speak to the management of the gym. There are rules of etiquette in all gyms and everyone needs to be aware of them and follow them. Management doesn't want to lose customers!!!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    why didnt I think of reporting it! Maybe she can get kicked outta the gym!!!..and I can keep my clean arrest record ;)
  • kototo
    I would certainly mention the incident to the management at the gym. That's a terrible thing to happen to someone at a place that is supposed to be for health and self improvement. I would think that they would certainly be concerned about behavior like that as I would imagine it's terrible for business.

Great minds think alike.. hehe!!
  • You heard one side. Lots of times people hear what they do or do not want to hear and take things out of context.

The other ladies could indeed have been making fun of her....orrrrrr they could have been talking about something (or someone) different and this friend of your projected. So, before you get the tar and feathers out for these folks it would be nice to calm a bit.

If your friend wants to lose the weight she will go to the gym, or any gym, or work out at home, or whatever..... If this stops her I would say she was looking for a reason.

And I agree, it would be best if most folks simply smilled and gave a friendly wave. But thats not how humans work. As to reporting it to the management, if I had a manager of a gym approach me and accuse me of making fun of someone based on a secondhand story (which this is) it would not be pretty.

THe best think would be to let your adult friend be an adult and allow her to deal with things herself.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    I feel bad for your friend. But do you know what? Your friend can lose weigh and feel more attractive as a result because her beauty comes from within. That other chick cannot grow a personality or that sort of beauty. She'll probably always be, skinny and nasty.
  • kototo
    why didnt I think of reporting it! Maybe she can get kicked outta the gym!!!..and I can keep my clean arrest record ;)

You have to keep telling yourself that prison orange is not your color!!!
  • paytonOMG
    paytonOMG Posts: 33 Member
    I'm very confrontational when it comes to those kinds of situations. I have had to change my attitude. Tell your friend to go to the gym for no one but herself. Ef those other girls. When they realize that your friend is in it for the long hall, and is there more often than them, those skinny girls won't have anything to say!
  • nicheven
    nicheven Posts: 77 Member
    Thats one of the reasons I hated going to the gym, I actually stopped going to the one I paid for because I was so insecure in my body image that I couldn't bear people laughing at me and commenting on my weight.

Thankfully now we have one at our apartment complex which is very nice, and theres usually only 2-5 people in there at any point. Theres only one lady who gives me funny looks, everyone else looks at me like they are proud of me, which is a nice feeling, and for the one who doesn't....BAH to her!

Do you have a curves gym or anything like that around you? If the management won't do anything about it (i second CMS's comment to talk to them about it) I would check out going to someplace like that, where its bigger women or women who use to be big and have some empathy. It really irks me that people do this...we are there to get skinnier and healthier, thats what the gym is for!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Every time I see someone who is obviously just starting their wieght loss journey and I think to myself every time I see them "Good for YOU". I know how hard it is to take the first step to the journey so for some gym bunny to laugh and giggle with her friends ake me as furious as you likely were. I would report her to the gym staff and be supportive of your friend, it will get her a long way!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member

I was just going to say this - while kicking her *kitten* would be awesomely fun, this would probably be a lot more productive.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Great advice guys..I just gotta calm my redhead temper down here...:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: