Is Cheese that bad for you?

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
I'm trying to figure this out in my head. When I was a kid, I remember being taught in school that cheese was made from milk and good for you. Fast forward a couple decades and it sounds/feels like we have a sodium epidemic that's so bad that children are being put on blood pressure lowering medications. And Cheese is now evil.

Now that you're on MFP, is this something you've cut back on? If not, what healthy cheeses are you using in your food?

My omelets have suffered from lack of cheddar. I can use some suggestions.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese all the time (at least 1/2 serving/day many days more), usually full fat cheeses. The only lite cheese I eat is mozzarella.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When I decided to lose weight a few years ago, I gave up cheese for the most part. Then a couple years after that, I gave up cheese entirely. It was the right decision for me and I don't regret it.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    I think people say it's good for kids cos of the calcium?

I love cheddar, but I don't eat it at all now. I'm not sure if it's bad for you, but I think it is quite high in calories.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I think you have to do some assessment for you and your family...I recently learned that something innocent for some folks like coffee can be hazardous for others like me!!!! He told me to go w/o cheese (all dairy) for a week too. It was hard but liveable...I made a burrito with cheese and yes it was still GREAT.
    I think definitely get more wholesome and if possible organic cheeses...less chemicals and also maybe GOOGLE to find out the salt content of a variety of cheeses so can pick and choose which ones you are more likely to eat versus others.

Hope it helps.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As a lactose intolerant yes its very bad for me :)
    I did an elimination diet before finding out i was lactose and id gain1-3lbs over night only when i consumed cheese, nothing different that day.
    Casein is a main ingredient in cheese and often causes addiction..say what?! yes thats right you can be addicted to cheese :/ .

Having said that , i find myself with way more energy with no dairy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure this out in my head. When I was a kid, I remember being taught in school that cheese was made from milk and good for you. Fast forward a couple decades and it sounds/feels like we have a sodium epidemic that's so bad that children are being put on blood pressure lowering medications. And Cheese is now evil.

Now that you're on MFP, is this something you've cut back on? If not, what healthy cheeses are you using in your food?

Depends on the context and doseage
  • estjames
    estjames Posts: 76
    Options
    I recently tried low fat Havarti and that was good, I tried low fat feta and it was disgustingly sour (may have been the brand-Schunck's grocery). I often get a low fat cottage cheese, but the reduced sodium one is not that great in my opinion. I also go for some of the low fat/2% shredded cheese options when available. I still use full fat ones when the lower fat options are not as available or if I think they are lesser options.

Lastly, if you use cheese that are stronger in taste (sharp vs. mild cheddar), you can use less cheese to obtain flavor. Also I recently read that a woman buys only the fancy (thinner) shredded cheeses because they can spread thinner and she can use less.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

If cheese is bad for you then I don't want to be good. I eat some form of cheese EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

My bloodwork has been fine for years, and if it's interfered with my weight loss I certainly can't tell.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Cheese is great. Lots of protein, lots of calcium. I'm currently eating lots of Dutch Edam. Not as high in fat as cheddar but is 25% protein.
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If cheese is bad for you then I don't want to be good. I eat some form of cheese EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

My bloodwork has been fine for years, and if it's interfered with my weight loss I certainly can't tell.

Ditto.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options

Ditto.
    Me too. I eat either a slice of american in my turkey sandwich, or I sprinkle italian shreds on my eggs or omelette. I cannot imagine not eating cheese.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Aside from those of us who CAN'T eat it, I don't see anything wrong with cheese, I miss it like crazy.

HOWEVER

When I say Cheese, I mean ACTUAL cheese, not processed crap that is made from a little dairy and a lot of chemicals.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I no longer eat dairy. Super strong link to prostate cancer.

BTW: I love the taste of cheese, but I love peeing and ejaculating properly even more.
  • Kmalec
    Kmalec Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it's not as good put I put fat free feta in my omelets... have to have somce cheese... or maybe try to lean towards 2% when you look at adding cheese...
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Wisconsin so I LOVE cheese and won't give it up completely. But, I won't buy the crap that they sell in the grocery store either. I actually go to a cheese shop (when I go back to WI to visit family) and try the cheese and ask for the nutrient values of them. I have found some great, naturally low fat cheese (some are high on sodium) that I use. Now that I don't live there anymore, I just have them ship the cheese to me and I freeze it in smaller chunks.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options

Depends on the context and doseage

yeah! i eat moderate amounts of cheese on the regular!
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have always loved cheese, I have reduced the amount I eat as its high calorie, high fat and has salt... but I do still eat it!!
  • smbubbles
    smbubbles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Life without cheese will not work for me, neither will life without potatoes. I believe that as long as you're using moderation and staying within your calorie goals, you should be able to eat some of the things that you want to eat...
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

LOL I was about to post the same thing! I eat cheese every day too! I love being addicted to cheese ;-)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love mozzarella cheese and eat it a few times a week. I just make sure it fits into my calorie goal and I keep my portion size in check. As long as you're not lactose intolerant, watching your sodium intake for medical reasons, and not eating an entire wheel of cheese (my mind just flashed to the movie Anchoman)........you're good! Don't deprive yourself!