I find it kinda sad...

Options
that my coworker thinks a fried fish sandwich with mayo and processed cheese from McDonalds is a "healthy" option. I didn't want to be mean, but I did offer her other suggestions for lunch.

I also find it sad when I come across others who are completely clueless when it comes to good nutrition. I am by no means a nutritionist but I think I have a good idea of what's good for me and what's not. I guess it's not as "common sense" unless you've done your homework and researched healthy eating habits?

What are some other nutrition misconceptions you've come across with friends or family that made you cringe?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP my mom was trying to be really supportive and would offer me stuff like her home made ice cream and other items saying that they were healthy (meaning lower calorie) since she made them with all organic ingredients. It took a really long time for her to stop associating organic with being healthier in terms of things like calories, fat, and carbs.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My fiance is the same way. He would think that because it is fish it is healthy! Or that it is fine that he ate more than half a bag of peanut butter pretzels because peanut butter is good for you and pretzels aren't chips. Luckily for him he has such a fast metabolism and is so active he doesnt gain any weight
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    my husband thinks anything homemade qualifies as healthy. lol not true at all.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    To be fair to your coworker, you could do a lot worse at McDonald's than the 380 calorie Filet-o-Fish!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    A friend told me once that someone sent her a fruit pie recipe (using heavily sugared canned fruit) as a healthy recipe, because it had fruit. Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it regularly.

I think a lot of it is people don't learn to read labels. I was a fat kid so I went to nutritionists and learned to read labels at a young age. Other people though seem to get their ideas from commercials and the front of a box.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The majority of people have no idea how many calories they need, or how many calories are in most regular food... They r totally clueless, but then so was I until last may when I found this place!
  • LNZimmer
    LNZimmer Posts: 94
    Options
    My fiance is the same way. He would think that because it is fish it is healthy! Or that it is fine that he ate more than half a bag of peanut butter pretzels because peanut butter is good for you and pretzels aren't chips. Luckily for him he has such a fast metabolism and is so active he doesnt gain any weight

sounds like my bf. a couple years ago, he bought me a pint of Dove Ice cream. He looked at it and thought it was lower fat/suger - healthy. HOWEVER....it was so far from it, but I didn't have the heart to tell him. It had a thick layer of just chocolate fudge over the top...HEAVENLY.

I try to slowly explain to him how this works...because he has no body fat. at. all. = he is a punk!!! :)
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Salads - some people think that all salads a good. But throw on the bacaon, cheese, fried chicken, creamy dresing...:huh:
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

people are often in denial.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    I have had someone say that ice cream is good for you since it contains milk. Same person also said a Wendy's hamburger is good because you cover several food groups (meat, vegetables - lettuce and tomato, bread, dairy - cheese). sadly misinformed.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Green tea "drinks", trail mix(handfuls and handfuls of the stuff, it has alot of calories!), power bars, fried chicken sandwiches (yes its chicken, but its not healthy if its deep fried!), salads covered in full-fat dressings & cheeses, I could go on and on.
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh I completely agree, kls13la, but the large fries and Coke kinda cancelled that out! lol

Maybe I'm just bitter because I can smell her fries and want to dive face first into them, though;-)
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I agree. My boyfriend's mother once complained to me about how an overweight relative would bring chips to a family potluck, and of course because this woman is overweight she would bring something unhealthy. She then commented that she was going to bring some nice, healthy vegetables in the form of green bean casserole. I did not know what to say.
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    Options
    ^ haha! About as healthy as potatoes au gratin
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    Options
    wlkumpf, that is so sad! They think they're being cool parents by letting their kids eat whatever, but really, they are setting their kids up to be obese adults. We all know the problems that come along with that.

I grew up eating junk because I lived in a single parent household with a mom who worked two jobs. She didn't have time to prepare elaborate, healthy meals, but quite frankly didn't know how. Now she's much more educated on nutrition and has lost a large amount of weight. She has even apologized to me for not providing me with nutritious meals but I understood that it wasn't her intention. She just didn't know. If anything, becoming healthy has taught me that I will have kids who eat healthy, nutritous meals. Hopefully they will grow up to make healthy choices and never have to struggle with their weight as much as I did! You've gotta end the cycle somewhere.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Any argument that includes, "But it's NAAAAATURAL" depresses me. Just because it's not synthetic doesn't mean it's healthy.
  • flag91
    flag91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people may be talking about "healthier" options. A lot of the things mentioned on the thread may not be "healthy" per se, but some may be better than other options. It's relative. It's also a journey for people. Some people are so far on the other end of the extreme that having fried chicken is a vast improvement to how they normally eat. Improving is what we are all trying to do.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    lol fiancee ( I call him hubby lol) thinks that pizza is healthy option because it has all four food groups-meat, dairy, carbs and veggies lol and no its not the canadian bacon on thin crust with very little cheese....its the full options! lol
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I agree. My boyfriend's mother once complained to me about how an overweight relative would bring chips to a family potluck, and of course because this woman is overweight she would bring something unhealthy. She then commented that she was going to bring some nice, healthy vegetables in the form of green bean casserole. I did not know what to say.

lmbo ...but hey it had veggies in it!! lmbo .....love green bean cass btw...yum!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Here's one I see a lot on this board: Dietary fat = Body fat! Couldn't be further from the truth! The right fat can keep you full and is needed by your body for many functions. Yes, it may be more calorie dense, but you'll eat a lot less of it and feel fuller longer.

Just stay away from artificial trans fats and hydrogenated oils, and you'll be good!