Women only.. please

Options
2»

Replies

• lbeaty77
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I knew you girls would help!!
  • Ladeejulz
    Options
    I have the same craving. Ice cream is my ultimate favourite dessert and adding chocolate is even better. I discussed it with my Dietitian and she gave me a couple good suggestion.
    #1 Buy some Baker's Dark or Semi Sweet Chocolate Squares, put them in the freezer and when the craving hits, pop one square in your mouth and let it melt. This is approx. 100 calories.
    #2 Make 1 package of chocolate pudding and 1 package of Dreamwhip, whipped cream (both can be made with low fat milk). Make them individually first then gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate pudding. Divide into single servings and freeze them (I usee the small round Ziplock containers). These are approx. 150 calories but worth every bite because it's like eating chocolate mousse.

From what my dietitian says, as ladies, our bodies crave one of the chemicals in chocolate but it only takes a little to satisfy the craving. I have tried both these ideas and they work well.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
  • Aunt_Kiki
    Aunt_Kiki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try and get small portions of what you are really craving.... sometimes if we don't eat a small amount, we overeat it and that is worse. Here is what I do for chocolate..... get foil covered eggs (or some type of foil covered chocolate), put it in the freezer and when you have that craving, pop one in your mouth (foil off, of course) and just suck on it. It takes about 10 minutes to melt and really satisfies the craving for only a few calories. I do this almost daily.

New to the site and in LOVE with this idea!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I cant really comment as I have troubles with this area and so Im on a pill that stops a cycle completely and havent dealt with this since I was 18! however my friend goes through this all the time and just takes either a glass of milk or water any time she gets a craving, and then after an hour if it still hasnt gone then limit yourself to a small portion of what you want :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Ladies.
    Read this research piece which addresses the subject of energy expenditure during the menstrual cycle as well as the comments at the bottom as there is tons of valuable information:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I always allow myself one square of high quality dark chocolate a day. No sense denying yourself everything you crave. Moderate the amount and enjoy (without guilt!)

(During ovulation and menstruation- so 2 weeks- I am SO hungry I could chew my own arm off- it's killer!)
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just have to stay busy! If I sit there and dwell on it ill get grumpy because I am "hungry." Just find something fun that will get your mind off of it!
  • kimastbury
    kimastbury Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    haha you know the guys are gonna peak in anyway!

Bet they bolt when they read the topic though lol
  • geekyjock76
    Options

Not me. I actually contributed above by providing some research material :blushing:
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I've adapted a mindset all or nothing (not only during TOM but always)... I CANNOT HAVE ONLY ONE COOKIE.. or something that's bad for me in moderation. I stopped eating it altogether or found healthy alternatives, and don't crave "the bad stuff" anymore. During the most intense craving times, I drank room temperature water or peppermint tea. Both help with cravings. At first, it seemed like I was going to go crazy. But by doing so, I have "trained" myself not to binge, overeat, etc. I also work out hard. In the beginning I would burn 2000 calories hiking and then eat a box of cookies. Stupid, right? Why sabotage myself? Why workout in the first place? This works really well for me.
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am so with you with the cravings.. mine is usually sweet and salty.... I am "new" to the journey here, but even previously I had to start making changes... so I figured instead of a large bag of chips to save $$$, I started purchasing the small bags, and ate less.... it seems to be working to allow myself a small portion of the treat vs none at all. My goal is to one day eliminate completely, but at this point, I'm not there... am also looking for healthy alternatives. For me it's taking the time to change one step at a time - took me a lifetime to get here... not going to be a quick road back, so baby steps are working. Thanks to all the ideas you all have provided. Good luck in your journey.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think by depriving yourself of it will make you want it more, so try to find a way to work it in your calories once or twice a week. When I want something sweet I give up something in order to eat it. I do try to only eat those things on the weekend but do what works for you
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Not me. I actually contributed above by providing some research material :blushing:

I think I love you. :)
  • bigsbydog
    bigsbydog Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All I can say is SKINNY COW Ice cream... It has been a saver for me... I am post menopausal and I really have the sweet cravings bad all the time now..What I would do to get the craving only once or twice a week.. Good luck and grab some Skinny Cow Ice cream...:devil:
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great info, geekyjock76...much appreciated. (If 76 is your birth year, damn I'm getting old).
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    You're welcome. Perhaps women can benefit from the information in the article to control cravings and use that time of the month to burn extra calories. And yes, 76 is my birth year :smile:
  • AthenaArcher
    AthenaArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Goodness Knows is a sports bar that uses real dark chocolate (I like the very cranberry) I eat these whenever I crave chocolate, also if you make any of your own baked goods like muffins add some coco powder 1 Table spoon only has 15 calories :drinker: