Females...are you the MAN in your relationship?

Options

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    ... he sounds like a p*ssy.

Going to have to agree with Chris here.

And since Im also not one to sugarcoat things or make excuses by saying he needs "therapy" or whatever... Im just going to say he's massively insecure and lacks confidence. Its that simple.

Oh you guys, give poor guy a break, he is 20!! He is a little too sensitive ( that might be his personality) but he is also sooooo young. The bottom line is they are a bad match, period.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey.... this is a case where "if I knew then what I know now"..... hopefully you will listen to the advice and follow your instincts and not have to learn stuff the hard way like some of us did.

Your gut is saying something isn't right here, and it is absolutely correct. And here is the bottom line: you cannot change him. So no matter what kind of games he plays or guilt trips he tries to lay on you, stand your ground. Don't cave when you are lonely. You are much better off alone than with someone like that. Fill up your time and your life with your friends and your family, don't let him waste another minute of your time. And I don't say that in a mean or vindictive way, it is just that it is not going to work, and to continue to give him any more is just going to drag you down further and isn't going to help lift him up any no matter what he believes or says.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Mr T has the answer for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_iiX1HepM
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if thats a genuine picture of you in your profile. But if it is? Im sure you will have no problem finding someone else. If its not you in the picture, you sound very down to earth and seem very kind (your also irish) so I dont see future love interests being a problem

Tell him to do one and leave you alone.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Run, don't walk..... while you still have enough sanity left to do it. It only gets worse!!!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Seriously dump him.

Think about it. In all likelihood, someday you'll probably want to get married, buy a house and have kids. You need your kids' dad to be dependable, capable, emotionally steadfast and strong.

You can't have him being all namby-pamby and falling apart while you're trying to instill good values into your children.

You deserve someone stronger and more capable - and there are a GAJILLION dudes out there who are gonna be all over you once you say "HEY WORLD, I'M SINGLE."

Trust me. Just dump him. It's not worth it.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    ... he sounds like a p*ssy.

Going to have to agree with Chris here.

And since Im also not one to sugarcoat things or make excuses by saying he needs "therapy" or whatever... Im just going to say he's massively insecure and lacks confidence. Its that simple.

Oh you guys, give poor guy a break, he is 20!! He is a little too sensitive ( that might be his personality) but he is also sooooo young. The bottom line is they are a bad match, period.

She's 20, he's 23. I doubt he'll sack up anytime soon either.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Every man wants to know how their partner feels about them (love letter example), however the flowers thing sounds ridiculous.

I hope that these are exaggerations, if not then he doesn't sound like he's right for you.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Sounds like depression/anxiety. My hubs struggles with depression though he's doing well after therapy and medication.

I kind of cringe at your post which effectively buys into the meme that struggling with depression/anxiety is somehow "unmanly". It's a hidden epidemic in men because so many people believe that.

I also note that it sounds like a lot of insecurity there. Again, not a gender related trait.

As a man, I commend you for this post, thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • gshoemaker06
    Options
    How+to+break+up+the+right+way.+Oh+hai+i_89648a_3348937.gif
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sounds like depression/anxiety. My hubs struggles with depression though he's doing well after therapy and medication.

I kind of cringe at your post which effectively buys into the meme that struggling with depression/anxiety is somehow "unmanly". It's a hidden epidemic in men because so many people believe that.

I also note that it sounds like a lot of insecurity there. Again, not a gender related trait.

Did your husband snap at you, get mad if you didn't do what he wanted to do and nag you about it for weeks on end? Did he pick random fights with you?

I'm not being snarky it's just that she stated that he picks arguments and gets mad when she doesn't do what he wants to do. IMO he sounds manipulative, not depressed.

Nope. That was me when I was struggling with depression/anxiety. Hubs got really, really quite. The insecurity is probably playing into it, but yeah moodiness is often a symptom of depression. Not that she should put up with it - if he won't work on it, she should take care of herself.

My issue isn't that she should say "ooh poor baby" and tolerate his stuff. My issue is that making this about manliness plays right into a meme that causes men to not deal with issues: "I can't need help, real men don't have depression/anxiety/insecurity".
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

As a man, I commend you for this post, thank you! :flowerforyou:

Please, the dude needs to grow up and stop acting like a wussy. It's one thing to cry from time to time, but this guy sounds like he has a perpetual period.
    He's so feminine he would turn off a gay man.
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    I often wonder when men stopped being men and started being so frickin' needy!!! Were we just duped into thinking all men were like Clint Eastwood/Columbo/MacGiver/Lone Ranger etc? My guy is a bit too emotional and needy too and it's a relatively new thing. We've been together for 10 years and he wasn't like this before. I think maybe the roles have reversed because I just want to sit on the couch and watch hockey at night and he wants to play sappy girl music and dance. He's all lovey dovey and I just want to go for a bike ride. Hmmm...WTH??

Don't think of yourself as a cold hearted biotch, just be you and if he can't handle it then come on over and we'll go for a bike ride!!! LOL!

Just be yourself. :wink:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

He more than likely is depressed. His father died!
    However, being clinically depressed does NOT give you a free pass to being emotionally cruel. It does not give him the right to
    treat her the way he has been treating her!

There is no "My daddy just died so I get to treat my girlfriend horribly" card! She is young, she isn't quite equipped to deal with such an emotionally messed up young guy, nor should she have to.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    wow this is the first i have heard of a man behaving like this...I would say he should go in for some counseling...sounds like he might have some emotional issues ...abandonment or something...check out his parents if they were like this he prolly thinks this is normal....he's pushing you away with the fights because he "knows" your going to leave him then its your fault and he's the martyr ....wants you to give flowers (which wow) because again its " poor me I am the injured one and your the bad person"....
    I dont think I would call yourself the "man" of the relationship lol but he does sound like he needs some help dealing with past hurts to get over the hump.....couples counseling???
    this is just my opinion though,,,I am certainly not certified psych doc :laugh:

His dad died.....but still really weird reaction to want flowers and essays of how I love him etc etc

Oh yeah like he's poor me poor me...honestly it's a pity party every day....

Like i've been in one long term rship before ....for 2 years....I know I was only a teenager but still I remember that he never did any of that...

I have tried to get him grief counselling but apparently he doesn't need it...I've went to his mom and his brother about it too and I've begged him to get it and he won't...apparently I'm the problem...yet he keeps coming back for more.....

couples counselling at 20.......are you for reeeeal ha

couples counselling at 20.......are you for reeeeal ha
    lmbo....doesnt matter your age sweetie if you are seriously IN LOVE with him but I am thinking you really arent....not sure why you keep going back...thats for you to figure out....I guess maybe you can both go separately then...him for his insecurities and neediness and you for enabling it and seeming to need that reassurance yourself that he needs you :) either way good luck:)
  • gshoemaker06
    Options
    I just want to sit on the couch and watch hockey at night...... I just want to go for a bike ride.

I think I love you

(yes it's ironic I'm dancing in my avatar, but that was at a wedding)
  • bleacheblonde
    Options

Thank-you for posting this. Everybody's like "He's a p*ssy, blah blah blah...." No, he has major emotional problems. Even men can have major emotional problems, believe it or not.

However, that doesn't mean the OP has to stick around and deal with it, and it doesn't mean that she is obligated to fix this guy. If he doesn't want to get help, there's probably not much anyone can do until he decides he wants out of the black hole.
  • emiahnissi
    Options
    A 20 year old shouldn't be worrying about this.. You haven't lived your life and neither has he.. Sounds like he needs to go out and learn how to become a man .. You two together sounds like it is toxic for both of you .. I may not be easy but its time t end it ... In the long run you and him will be happier.....

If you don't I predict you will get pregnant by accident.. You two will marry and eventually get a divorce scaring your child and more than likely raising he/she to be like the father and rinse and repeat the cycle.....

Do you want that ? I doubt it..

No one says you two can't get back together.. But you all have some growing to do.. The physical growing is done.. now time mental and emotional growing to happen...
  • emiahnissi
    Options
    I agree. If this is making you miserable now, can you imagine doing it for the next 20 yrs.. Your young don't torture yourself you will be waisting your youth away..