When is it okay to leave your newborn?

Options
corn63
corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/ok-parent-leave-newborn-124022433--abc-news-parenting.html

Jist of the story: Mom goes on vacation. Leaves her 10 week old with her fiance's mom and a nanny. Now people are calling her selfish and that she wasn't ready to be a parent if she needed to get away from her child after only 10 weeks.

So what about you? I personally don't have kids, but I'm interested to hear the responses as I see nothing wrong with it. As stated in the article, a happy mommy makes a happy child.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it, either. But the modern mentality is that once you squirt a person out of you, you're supposed to stop having a life of your own.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    umm.. 6 weeks in america is norm..

period..

amazing this lady gets this.. but what about the new ceo for yahoo.. which is gonna work through her 6 weeks at home..
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Whoa, I think those people need to worry about their own lives. If she was comfortable leaving the child in their care then what's the problem?
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think people need to live and let live. She arranged for absolutely qualified care givers. Why is it anyone else's business?
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think people need to live and let live. She arranged for absolutely qualified care givers. Why is it anyone else's business?

Exactly. It's not like she left the kid with her crack dealer.

And why isn't anyone upset with her husband, who also left the baby?
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    We left our daughter with my mother and mother in law when she was 3 months old to go on a vacation. We missed her a lot, but didn't feel bad or selfish. We needed husband and wife time.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Good for her.
  • DarthCeltic
    Options

ummm because the political landscape of this country wants to go back to the 1950s..

i blame mad men..
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Wow! Live and let live.

She had someone she knew watch her baby. It's not like she left the baby with a AIDS infested crackwhore at the Kangaroo.

As a mother of a 5 month old, those first few weeks are TOUGH. I don't blame her one bit for taking a break. My mom actually kept my daughter overnight when she was about 12ish weeks old so me and the hubby could get a break and have some us time.... Best 12 hours ever. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options

ummm because the political landscape of this country wants to go back to the 1950s..

i blame mad men..

Leave Mad Men out of this! *shakes fist*

That show is awesome.

Honestly, though, people criticized me for taking my daughter to the mall when she was 10 days old. Because of course she was going to catch ebola from all the ebola germs in the mall.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When many women have to return to their full-time jobs at 5-6 weeks post partum, why is it such a bad idea to get a little R&R after 10 weeks? At that point mom is likely getting little-to-no sleep as well. I was eternally grateful for my parents and in-laws any time they wanted to help us recharge. It definitely goes a long way towards feeling human, confident, and more patient. Shame on our society for condemning this mom (and, as someone else mentioned, NOT her husband).
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant with my first now, and I will, unfortunately, have to work from home after my child is born just to keep up with my workload. A lot of women have to do this nowadays or risk losing their jobs.

As long as she left the child with an appropriate caregiver, I don't see the problem.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

i blame mad men..

Don't go bringing mad men into this lol
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I see both sides of it. She chose what looks like responsible caregivers. Its her child and if he is stressed by her leaving then that's a burden she has to bear. But at 10 weeks postpartum I was practically a crazy person with no sleep and the stress of interviewing nanny's for my return to work.
    I personally could not have done it. Being away from my son for work is awful now and he is 2. But it would have been torture when he was a newborn. I even missed him when he was asleep and I was awake. And I do believe a 10 week old would miss her terribly so it makes me sad for him.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    It's not anyones business what this lady did. Personally, I had a c-section- and I went back to work after 8 weeks. Everyone is different- some choose to stay longer, some go back when they're allowed- and some have no choice. I had no choice but to go back to work- I had to do what I needed to keep a roof over my sons head and food in his belly, and diapers and clothes on his butt. Live and let live, definitely!
  • DarthCeltic
    Options

i blame mad men..

That show is awesome.

Honestly, though, people criticized me for taking my daughter to the mall when she was 10 days old. Because of course she was going to catch ebola from all the ebola germs in the mall.

i mean no disrespect to the show.. i mean some people believe everything they see on tv.. (oh look.. its a 50s show.. wow women in the kitchen.. i want me sum o that!)

i think its terrible to be honest..
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You're all horrible mothers and I demand you turn your children over to CPS.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    Newborn? No.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

i blame mad men..

That show is awesome.

Yeah, I had a few distant family memebers that had their jaw drop when they found out we took ours to Target when she was a little over a week. :noway:

I guess we need to put these babies in disenfected bubble wrap and keep them at attached to our hips 24/7.:huh:
  • rml_16
    Options

i blame mad men..

That show is awesome.

i mean no disrespect to the show.. i mean some people believe everything they see on tv.. (oh look.. its a 50s show.. wow women in the kitchen.. i want me sum o that!)

i think its terrible to be honest..

:-)

Yeah, I gotcha. I just think the writing and the character development are beyond incredible. If it was a book, it would become a classic, easy. It's just that good.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind not having to go to work. I would have a problem with all the sleeping around, though.