Belly dancing?

Options

Replies

• Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love belly dancing. It burns looooooads of cals :o)

I used to go to rock/metal music belly dancing classes but they've finished now :o(

WWHAAA that sounds epic!!! lol
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ok you all have just inspired me! I have a belly dancing DVD that I have not used in yrs and I have the cute hip scarf with the coins. I'm going to break it out and practice!
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love Belly Dancing and Zumba! I youtube Zumba and practice Belly Dance moves at home, but I take weekly Belly Dancing classes with a group. Belly Dance night is my favorite night of the week. I think you will be hooked quickly!
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You guys are going to make me buy a few belly dancing videos, I have always want to try it too. I was once able to get it on one of my cable channels but it is no longer available. I think I will look for a dvd....I could use midsection help.....Plus, I think it is such a sexy dance.
  • Stefanny91
    Options
    You guys are going to make me buy a few belly dancing videos, I have always want to try it too. I was once able to get it on one of my cable channels but it is no longer available. I think I will look for a dvd....I could use midsection help.....Plus, I think it is such a sexy dance.

Do it! we could be belly dancing buddies ;)
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    We can have a belly dancers club!
  • Cherbear1162
    Options
    Love Zumba sooooooooooooooo fun, I also have belly dancing DVD's, Line dancing I love all the dancing DVD's they don't feel like work outs but they kick your butt.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I took a belly dancing class a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It was a great workout, especially for abs. I've got a couple of dvds but haven't found anything I love.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I used to belly dance with a local troupe on campus. We started every session with a lot of Suhaila squats because belly dancing requires a great deal of thigh strength! I had to quit because I had a falling out with my cousin, and the rest of the troupe was much closer to her than they were to me and very few of them made me feel like anything but an outsider. To be honest, I don't think that they really helped me learn appropriate technique or form--many of them would just let my cousin instruct me, and she was resentful of my ability to learn quickly, so she was constantly coming up to me and forcing my shoulders so far back telling me that they weren't straight enough, even though I couldn't possibly do a chest lift because my chest was already lifted as far as it would go. They also bumped me from every performance for reasons related to needing an even number of dancers, or because I missed one practice because my son was sick. Even though I have several DVDs, the experience kind of soured me on dancing. :frown:
  • SailorJerrysRum
    Options
    Netflix has a few videos on instant streaming in case anyone has an account and wants to try it out.
    I enjoy the music and clothes you get to wear while bellydancing, so realistically it's something I could still to until I'm a granny.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I used to take a class at the gym, it was fun. I also have some DVDs. I haven't done it in a while though.
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    Netflix has a few videos on instant streaming in case anyone has an account and wants to try it out.
    I enjoy the music and clothes you get to wear while bellydancing, so realistically it's something I could still to until I'm a granny.

I didn't know that! Thanks I will check it out :)
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I tried a belly dancing class years ago and enjoyed it. Bought the little symbols(sp?) and everything. Did it a couple of times and they said it wouldn't flatten my stomach, but would harden what I had...back then I thought my stomach was too big. lol. Anyway, I agree with everyone that Zumba has some great belly dancing moves and the newer moves do flatten your stomach and give you great curves. I was able to see my waist for the first time in a while. Best of luck! You will do great. Eat less, move more. That's what it is all about. You can do it!
  • ashedw425
    Options
    I love belly dance! I did it for years at a studio... it is a lot fun but I don't know much about the dvds... the majority belly dancers I have known, danced with, and been instructed by have not been skinny minnies like you see on those dvds... it's a good workout for your muscles but not always very aerobic. Lots of fun though.
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    It depends a lot on what type of bellydancing you do. Most videos out there are the 'traditional' cabaret or Egyptian style. I'm a tribal bellydancer, which is stylistically a little different although the muscles worked are pretty much the same.

For tribal (specifically tribal fusion), Rachel Brice has some excellent DVDs for performance conditioning. She teaches a move, but also does yoga for warm up and cool down and to help strengthen the appropriate muscles (for example, strengthening your back to prevent injuries during certain moves).

My favorite of hers is Serpentine, which has a massive amount of stuff on it. There are several sections to the workout so you can mix and match, and a second DVD has choreography on it that you can learn as well.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Stefanny91
    Options
    I used to belly dance with a local troupe on campus. We started every session with a lot of Suhaila squats because belly dancing requires a great deal of thigh strength! I had to quit because I had a falling out with my cousin, and the rest of the troupe was much closer to her than they were to me and very few of them made me feel like anything but an outsider. To be honest, I don't think that they really helped me learn appropriate technique or form--many of them would just let my cousin instruct me, and she was resentful of my ability to learn quickly, so she was constantly coming up to me and forcing my shoulders so far back telling me that they weren't straight enough, even though I couldn't possibly do a chest lift because my chest was already lifted as far as it would go. They also bumped me from every performance for reasons related to needing an even number of dancers, or because I missed one practice because my son was sick. Even though I have several DVDs, the experience kind of soured me on dancing. :frown:

Girls can be really nasty!! atleast you aren't with them anymore ... we can have our own belly dancing club!!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

Girls can be really nasty!! atleast you aren't with them anymore ... we can have our own belly dancing club!!
    I certainly wouldn't mind giving it another shot. I do love to dance!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I used to take a class and loved it. I've only tried one dvd (by kathy smith) and i have to say i greatly appreciated having learned the proper form of the moves beforehand.
    After my first class i felt like i was so not flexible. but that changed. and when you realize how much work it is to make the movements look effortless, you appreciate the workout.
    funny note on the side, my teacher kept telling me to relax my chest - i kept thinking, but i am relaxed - turns out, my sports bra stopped things from jiggling like they were intended to :tongue: