Any other Daddy's take their daughters on dates?

Options

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My husband still does this with our daughter, and she's 15 now! They sometimes go to a sit-down restaurant but sometimes its mini golf, or go carts, or walking the mall and window shopping after a cheap dinner. Or sometimes a movie together, he always treats her like a queen, even when not on their dates. She whines sometimes about going with her dad cause she's got other things to do, but always comes homes happy and knows she's loved for who she is.

Hope this translates into picking a good man who still treats her like a queen when she does start dating.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I take my sons out individually for father/son time too where we talk, among other things, about proper dating etiquette. (Might as well do what I can to fix the other side of that dating equation if I'm able.) I also make sure there is time on each of these outings (usually when we're in the car driving to/from wherever we're going) where I tell/ask them, "You know you can always approach me with any subject. Well, is there anything that you wanted to discuss but haven't yet? Now would be a great time to discuss it."

One of my daughter's favorite dates was during my busy time at work and I wasn't able to take her "out"...so late at night we carried a cafe table from the basement to the family room and had a "date" eating ice cream out of fancy bowls and drinking out of fancy glasses.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My dad and I have done this my whole life - and, now that I'm grown, it's reciprocated (I took him to the Senior Open in Clarkston, MI this summer for a day)... some of the best memories I have from growing up - good for you for doing that with your daughter!

My older son and I schedule a mom-son day or evening once a quarter - we write it on the calendar and daddy stays home with little brother. We try to do 3 things every time, if there's time - something smart, something fun, and something to eat - last one - we went to the art museum in Detroit (named all the suits of armor in the Medieval Wing), ran through the sprinklers behind the Renaissance Center, and lunch at Lafayette Coney Island. Part of the fun for my son is to put the next date on the calendar when we get home.
  • jsmcintyre
    jsmcintyre Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do this, complete with opening up the doors and treating her like a princess. I have 3 daughters, so they each get their own time, but that also cuts down on how often they each get to go out. In fact, my middle daughter and I are doing this tonight.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Aw I ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ this! :-) so sweet! great idea!
  • clbilardo
    Options
    How awesome! Show them what a real date should be like so when it comes time for her to start dating, she will have some expectations....and the right ones! Too many girls settle for being treated less than they should. Same goes for the boys too. They need to be taught how to treat a girl at a young age so it continues into adulthood. Way to go Dad :flowerforyou:
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    :heart: This is so awesome. :heart:
  • Rodamort
    Rodamort Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Heck yes!!! I have 4 kids (2 boys/2 girls). I try to alternate taking each of the girls and my wife will take the boys. Don't do it as often as I would like to, but it is some of the best moments having that one on one time. Not only do I think it is just great time together, but I think it is a good opportunity as they get older to see how they should treat their dates and how they should expect to be treated when they start dating!

One thing I have to keep telling myself is that it doesn't have to be an expensive date... and it's nice to do things that require more interaction such as going to the park and playing or out for ice cream where we can talk. They don't care what it costs, they just like the individual time. Yeah sometimes we hit up a movie and that's fun too, but it's nice to find out how they are doing. I hope I can pass on this tradition to them and they do the same for their kids.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    all fathers should be like you!! congrats for being a super dad!
    i just have 1 question tho.....you must have only 1 child right? what happens when there is 2 or 3 daughters? or a son or 2 in the family? would you do this for each one?

Without a doubt. She has a twin brother and I have another boy that is 5. Most of the time the boys want to do guy stuff like fish and hike:)

There's just something a little more special about the dates with my daughter that I feel is more necessary right now, but I never miss an opportunity with my boys either:)
  • abbeyl11
    abbeyl11 Posts: 73
    Options
    That's awesome, hope my hubby will do that with our daughter as she grows up too. I wonder how many friend requests you've gotten from single moms by putting up this post lol
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I take each of my sons on dates, just the two of us :) In fact, as soon as we get a chance, I'm taking my 5yo to Starbucks... he has recently discovered how much he loves tea! I went shopping with my little one today, he loves to cruise the mall and he even got a cookie to munch on =)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time with my boys! They are my guys... before all other guys. Sometimes when we're getting ready to go out, they will stop and tell me 'woah mom, your butt is all small now and you look HOT" 7 year olds are funny! They even took me to a Mother's Day Tea and we all got dressed up

531071_374853015917816_1043397148_n.jpg
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 7 years old and I like to take her on dates whenever we can find the time. It's not nearly often enough but we both love it whenever we do:) Sometimes she picks the place and what we will do and sometimes I do. Sometimes we both get a little dressed up but I always open all the doors for her, hold her hand, and treat her like a queen:) When we get to where we are going we sit down and I ask her why we are here, she answers because you love me:) I say that's right! Until you find a man that treats you better than me..........it will always be you and me.

Are there any other Daddy's that do similar things with their daughters? What about Mommy's taking their boys on dates? I would love to here any new ideas that I can use with my kids.

Dude you seriously rock. This was just fantastic. I ain't no girl and I don't plan on having kids but if more dads were like you, I feel that more girls will grow up with self-esteem and will know what to expect from men rather than going out with these wannabe thugs and stuff.

Way to go man! Fatherhood: You are doing it right!

^^this^^ YOU DESERVE A "FATHER OF THE YEAR" AWARD!!
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    aww, she will grow up thinking "my daddy cared about me, and thought I was special" You rock!!!!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    my dad would take me on dates all the time, I loved hanging out just me and him. My uncle does the same with his daughter, who's now 15. She loves spending one-on-one time with him. She's going to dinner and a movie with him tonight actually. lol
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would do this with my daughter all the time......but then I was a single dad to here from the time she was 5. She is now 25, married, has a son who is 7 months old and we still talk 5 or more times a week. She is and always will be my baby girl!!!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    WOW... your daughter will grow up to know how a REAL man should treat her...
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thankskilling was not as good a choice.. the first scene in the movie is an exposed breast of a nun. I was scrambling for the remote while she laughed her A off...

I've watched Thankskilling a couple times with my kid (she's 18 though). Just so you know, Netflix has a movie called Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead. I'm fairly certain we're going to watch it.

As for the OP, my husband would always take our daughter out for father/daughter days. He still does, in fact. Last weekend, they went and saw Expendables 2, to lunch and shopping.
  • paulsmisses
    Options
    My daughter is 7 years old and I like to take her on dates whenever we can find the time. It's not nearly often enough but we both love it whenever we do:) Sometimes she picks the place and what we will do and sometimes I do. Sometimes we both get a little dressed up but I always open all the doors for her, hold her hand, and treat her like a queen:) When we get to where we are going we sit down and I ask her why we are here, she answers because you love me:) I say that's right! Until you find a man that treats you better than me..........it will always be you and me.

Are there any other Daddy's that do similar things with their daughters? What about Mommy's taking their boys on dates? I would love to here any new ideas that I can use with my kids.

my hubby would totally be like that if we had a girl, think i would get jealous though! so glad we have two boys! and we are all really outdoorsy type people so we go out as a family but think what you are doing is fab and your daughter will always remeber you for it.
  • combat3unny
    Options
    Aww that so sweet! Every Dad should do this. It not only builds a great relationship but teaches her how her future partner should treat her. Good on you :)