Fitness Bucket List for Women

Options
Recently MSN printed an article on the 4 Fitness Goals that every woman should try to reach :
1. Hold a plank pose for 60 seconds
2. Run a half-marathon
3. Pull off 10 push-ups
4. Hold the yoga tree pose for 60 seconds

Previously, my fitness goals included wanting to learn how to swim, completing a 5K and running a 10 minute mile.....but nothing really beyond that. However, after reading the article, I realize that I should really challenge myself to set longer term fitness goals...but I gotta start somewhere, right? lol~

So ladies.........what's on YOUR fitness bucket list????

Btw, here is the link to the article: http://innovationforendurance.msn.com/articles/detail/fitness/253236719

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Women should also add:

Squat body weight
    Deadlift 1.5x body weight
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Those seem like an odd mix of goals. #2 is WAY harder for most people than the other 3. I could do the other 3 now, but I am so far from #2, even though I run, it's not even funny LOL.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    1) Do a pullup (preferably multiple but I'd be happy to do 1)
    2) Hike Machu Picchu
    3) 20+ pushups

I'll have to think a bit more about others but those are on the top of my list
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Future goals... Full unassisted pullups. Bench my body weight. Improve my 5k time.

I might do a half marathon some day, just to say I did. But I have a really short attention span, and looking at a training plan that says, "Today is an easy 2 hour run," just makes me shut down. I don't even like watching a movie for two hours straight.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hrmmm... I could do without ever running a half marathon.

And I like the additions.
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    #2 is WAY harder for most people than the other 3.

I couldn't agree more! Probably explains why I seldom see those "13.1" stickers on vehicles......lol!~
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Cool! I've done/can do all of these! My current bucket list goal is unassisted pull ups.
  • Jewcybabe
    Options
    Women should also add:

Squat body weight
    Deadlift 1.5x body weight

Even MORE motivation for me to lose more weight! lol~
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My roommate is a bada$$...she can do multiple unassisted pullups. It's kind of a party trick for her. I'm not even close to doing one :-P
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've done all of those things, I could have 3 of the 4 done in the next 5 minutes and I'm running my 3rd half marathon in October. :happy:

I would agree with doing an unassisted pullup, I definitely can't do one of those. I would also put running a full marathon (preferably NYC) onto my personal bucket list.
  • iSpuggz
    iSpuggz Posts: 39
    Options
    People saying the Half Marathon is hard, it's supposed to be. Fitness goals shouldn't be something you can do over night. You set yourself big goals so you have something to work towards, you won't progress if your goals are just in reach. A full marathon would be pushing it for those who don't run but a half marathon can be accomplished in 6-8 months max if you work at it.

It's a bucket list after all, you have your whole life to achieve it. Why get it done next week?
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    IMO, MSN's goals seem pretty weak. An ultramarathon is on my bucket list. I'm hoping to cross it off the list by the end of this year. The unassisted pull-up...that's a challenge I'm up for doing!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    People saying the Half Marathon is hard, it's supposed to be. Fitness goals shouldn't be something you can do over night. You set yourself big goals so you have something to work towards, you won't progress if your goals are just in reach. A full marathon would be pushing it for those who don't run but a half marathon can be accomplished in 6-8 months max if you work at it.

It's a bucket list after all, you have your whole life to achieve it. Why get it done next week?

My point wasn't that a half marathon is HARD and shouldn't be on there...my point was it's WAY harder than the other items on the list. To me, not even in the same ballpark fitness wise as the other 3 so the list just seems VERY odd to me.

I agree with many of the additions too...pull-ups...never been able to do one!
  • Jewcybabe
    Options
    IMO, MSN's goals seem pretty weak.

After reading some of the article's comments, many folks agreed that the list left a lot to be desired. I wonder if the fact that the article was written by a man factors in.....? Also, these were the top 4 goals.......maybe a strength training related goal was next on the list~
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

My point wasn't that a half marathon is HARD and shouldn't be on there...my point was it's WAY harder than the other items on the list. To me, not even in the same ballpark fitness wise as the other 3 so the list just seems VERY odd to me.

I agree with many of the additions too...pull-ups...never been able to do one!

I don't know- I think it's not that hard at all. Most fit people could complete a half marathon but I think there's a huge mental block that gets in the way of people actually signing up and doing it. Now, it won't be pretty if you're not properly trained to do it, but with walk/run intervals it could be done. Running the whole thing and getting a reasonable pace is harder. But a full marathon is more than twice as difficult than a half marathon. In my experience, Half-marathons are kind of fun and not all that grueling.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hit a softball over a 300 foot fence during practice.

Hit a softball over a 300 foot fence during a game.

Hit a softball over a deeper fence.

Repeat.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 1.5x body weight (was originally my bodyweight but accomplished that just last week!!!)
    Squat body weight
    Bench press 100lbs
    Unassisted pull up

.....just for starters....
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Mini goal- Squat body weight 8x4 (Currently at 95, I weight 115ish)
    I would like to squat 200lbs

Bench press my body weight which is going UP, so i will have to see when I get there. (at 60 right now LOL)

Do more than 2 pull ups. I used to be able to do 8 two years ago but my legs got heavier with lifting.

50 push ups in a row. I can do 18 right now.

I have about a million others.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Future goals... Full unassisted pullups. Bench my body weight. Improve my 5k time.

I might do a half marathon some day, just to say I did. But I have a really short attention span, and looking at a training plan that says, "Today is an easy 2 hour run," just makes me shut down. I don't even like watching a movie for two hours straight.

I completely agree with this.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have done all those.

Mine -
    Bench my body weight (another 40 to go)
    Squat and deadlift same. I just started squatting and deads.

The real one for me is - Ironman. Still can't wrap my head around it though.

Eta - oh and pull ups.