Lance Friggin Armstrong

Options
1235»

Replies

• scubahsteve69
    scubahsteve69 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's apparent that the continued investigation after dozens of failed attempts to uphold their accusations, are nothing more than attempts to salvage their feeble egos.

Ok, so now they strip him of his 7 titles. Now what? They give the titles to the 2nd place finishers? WHOOPS! They have all been accused of doping as well! I guess the 3rd place guy will get his name in the record books with an * AND if Lance was doping, he whipped all the other dopers *kitten*.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It's apparent that the continued investigation after dozens of failed attempts to uphold their accusations, are nothing more than attempts to salvage their feeble egos.

Ok, so now they strip him of his 7 titles. Now what? They give the titles to the 2nd place finishers? WHOOPS! They have all been accused of doping as well! I guess the 3rd place guy will get his name in the record books with an * AND if Lance was doping, he whipped all the other dopers *kitten*.

:drinker:

...and if he wasn't, he still whipped 'em even without the extra push. I don't know if he was or wasn't. I do know that, after thirteen years of accusations, they've never been able to prove anything beyond a shadow of doubt. In my opinion, if they can't prove anything before or during the sporting event, or immediately after (within six months) the title has been awarded, they ought not be able to go after the athlete in question at all anymore. I think it's ridiculous how much tax money has been spent on something that REALLY doesn't matter in the grand scheme.
  • bhow55
    bhow55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The bigger, more important question is the proverbial " does the end justify the means?" Okay, I get it....long distance cycling is hard, really hard. You have to train beyond your capacity to endure...it's painful, grueling and there's no guarantee that all that work will pay off, especially if you know your competitor is enhancing his performance through illegal doping. Honestly, if I was in a sport where greater than 50% of the athletes are doping, than it would be hard to resist the temptation to do the same, especially if I am good enough to win and reap all the rewards that it brings. PED are only going to get better and the ability to fool the screenings equally better. Organizers and owners must reconsider the contracts and monies they throw at these athletes. Money drives everyone to extremes. Lower the money lower the abuse. Separate clean from doped like the bodybuilders do.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I definately do NOT think he should be stripped of his titles. He has not been PROVEN guilty!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I think he's guilty. But it's just an opinion. I don't think choosing not to fight the charges points to guilt. He's been battling accusations for so long, and I can see why he'd be sick of it. This is, however, an excellent move for him if he did indeed cheat. We will never know...
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Guilty here's why. RadioShack team manager this year is the same manager that Armstrong had during his time with US Postal. He was not at the Tour de France, so you know he rolled over. Everyone of Lance's "super domestiques" all tested positive when they left and went to ride for other teams. US Postal had more money than any other team, and could buy their way into the best EPO money could buy...they were simply better at cheating than anyone else.

Now, am I saddened by this..no. Everyone of the top competitors in that era was doping....every single one. Cycyling Federations knew it but did nothing as it was attracting more fans and sponsors to the sport, the same way baseball knew. As everyone was doping the playing field is level, and he still the best rider out there.

Since that era, cycling has got on a white horse now, and proclaimed doping is bad...essentially turning their backs on the athletes that boosted a marginal sport into a global commodity.

Is doping bad, obviously it is...but lets not vilify the athletes, when they were doing exactly what everyone wanted them to do..put it all on the line, and win.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Guilty here's why. RadioShack team manager this year is the same manager that Armstrong had during his time with US Postal. He was not at the Tour de France, so you know he rolled over. Everyone of Lance's "super domestiques" all tested positive when they left and went to ride for other teams. US Postal had more money than any other team, and could buy their way into the best EPO money could buy...they were simply better at cheating than anyone else.

Now, am I saddened by this..no. Everyone of the top competitors in that era was doping....every single one. Cycyling Federations knew it but did nothing as it was attracting more fans and sponsors to the sport, the same way baseball knew. As everyone was doping the playing field is level, and he still the best rider out there.

Since that era, cycling has got on a white horse now, and proclaimed doping is bad...essentially turning their backs on the athletes that boosted a marginal sport into a global commodity.

Is doping bad, obviously it is...but lets not vilify the athletes, when they were doing exactly what everyone wanted them to do..put it all on the line, and win.

The the fact that everyone was doping doesn't really level the playing field unless they were all using the same drug and doses.
    And unless someone slipped them the drugs, they are adults that ultimately made the decision to cheat and thus should be held accountable for their actions.They took the money and the glory and they can take the consequences; not feeling sorry for them.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    He was tested & never found guilty of any doping.

It would be like being put into jail for never committing a crime & there not being any evidence to link you to it at all.

Why did anyone not say anything AT the time of this alleged doping? Nope only now.... cause they are gutless pricks who are out to cause trouble
  • catch622
    catch622 Posts: 18
    Options
    I just want to say this;

First - Cycling is a completely corrupt and dirty sport.
    Second - I don't care if he did, or didn't. I will choose to believe he didn't though because there is no evidence showing he did.
    Third - Even if he did, pretty much everyone else did too, anyway.
    Fourth - With or without the drugs what this man has accomplished is an inspiration to millions. He's my hero.

Whenever I'm exercising I honestly think to myself, if Lance Armstrong can be almost dead and comeback from that... and push himself to the levels he did to become a world class athlete (drugs or not), why can't I push myself a little harder?

TLDR: I don't care if he did, he's still a great inspiration for his cancer story alone.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    After a long talk with my dad, who has crazy in depth sports knowledge, I'm convinced. He doped.

What I didn't understand before is that now they are going back and testing OLD samples with BETTER tests. The ones they had back when he was around were easy to fool, which is why he had so many positives. Not to mention every last guy on his US Postal team has tested positive and his former teammates all say he was in the middle of it. He plays the victim quite well, but doping charges are serious, and there's a whole lot of evidence and accusations by credible people.

This is a good move for him. If he were to fight the charges, a la Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds, things could get ugly. Now there's no trial, and people don't care. Many people only watched cycling because he was in it. It's not a sport many are passionate about.
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think the media and the international cycling organization had it out for him and was looking for an excuse to crucify him. He finally said the hell with them and gave up. There was never any evidence against him. He tested clean again and again. Sometimes you get so worn down, you just give up.

I think it's sad....

^^^^This^^^^