Is it ok to have a ''cheat day"?

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    While I don't have a cheat day every week, primarily because I don't feel the need, but my wife has one every Saturday and she's down 22 lbs in less then 2 months. According to a lot of diet plans, such as 4 Hour Body, a cheat day is not only ok, it's required. 4 Hour Body refers to Saturdays as Dieters Gone Wild. Here's a good article http://www.fitsugar.com/Benefits-Cheat-Days-20263088

Also, if I know I'm going to do it, and I plan for it, is it really "cheating"? I consider it more of a Treat Day. I earned it, I'm taking it.
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Some people do, I don't. The sugar /carbs would set me off and I don't have the willpower to stop. My sweet tooth got me here and it took me years to get the mindset to change my lifestyle and find MFP. If I can' t fit the food into my daily plan, I don't have it.
    Good luck whichever way you decide to go. Suppose can try it once and see how you/your body handles it.

Exactly super much this.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the stick in the mud here, but hopefully I give you something to think about.

1) Someone already said this, but log it.

2) I personally don't do well with the "cheat day" mentality. It encourages me to go overboard.

3) You can work cravings into your regular regimen with moderation. If I want a BLT, I make sure to work it into that day's calories. If I want soda, I have one soda. If I want a cookie/cookies, I have one serving of cookies. But that's what works for me. If I had a "cheat day" I'd give myself unlimited cookies, unlimited sodas, unlimited sandwiches, and be in tears Monday morning.

4) You'll succeed if you figure out what works best for you. If you can work your cravings into your regimen great. If you need a "cheat day" take one. But the key really is figuring out what works best for you.
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Of course you can have a cheat day!!! As long as it's not every day. I call it what it is... cheat days. I agree that reward day sounds better but I like to be focused so if I take a cheat day I don't keep cheating but if I reward myself I can think of hundreds of things to reward myself for. In short, do what works for you. I'm on a low-carb diet and 1200 a day. i never cheat on the low-carb part of it but I do go over 1200 calories part of it. It's how you do it that counts. What works for you? Can you cheat and get back on track? I so, great! In short many of us are food addicts. In short, can we cheat and get back on the wagon? Some can... some can't. You alone can decide that since you know yourself better than we do but hopefully there is food for thought! (No pun intended!)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself a whole day, but part of a day, no more than once a week. I coordinate it with activities like seeing friends, and I always plan and log it (i plan the when, not necessarily the what). If I let it happen impulsively, that will bring me right back to that place where I think and act impulsively, and that's how I got into this mess in the first place! I do try to balance it out by making extra-good choices the days right before and after.

This is definitely one of those "whatever works for you" options; done in moderation, you can do it and still lose weight.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I pig out on the weekends. Hasn't done me any harm in the weight loss department at all.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Cheat days don't work for me. They can set of another and another for me. If I want something, I usually work it into my meal plan for the day. Also, in the past I have rewarded myself after losing 20 pounds. Me and my ex-husband went out to dinner and I had something I would never eat on a diet and besides feeling sick afterward, I couldn't get back on my meal plan for over a month. I envy those who can have a cheat day and get away with it.
  • MissWendyBird
    MissWendyBird Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do moderation. I've found the more I restrict myself, the more I will overindulge. Since I do everything in moderation, I get my fix and I don't feel guilty. It hasn't hindered my weight loss neither so do whatever makes you feel comfortable with yourself. :-)
  • poetgurl2005
    Options
    I don't have them weekly, but I have days where I don't care what I eat. I usually schedual them around family functions or outings with friends/ husband. The state fair is coming and trust me the calories that day will be impresive.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I call it a splurge day and I have them on days like my kid's birthday or things like that...(my son turned 2 yesterday and then my niece had her 10th birthday party today) but I often still keep it in my calorie limits and pretty much always under my tdee...google a tdee calculator if you don't already have your tdee.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" days. I'm not cheating on anything. If I want a calorie dense meal or a few drinks or something one day, I plan for it. I eat very healthy and get in a hardcore workout beforehand and then I know that I can indulge a little more. "Cheating" has such a negative connotation and when I want to splurge a little, I do it the right way and enjoy myself without it having to be wrong. I don't plan them weekly or anything like that. If I feel I need or want something a little extra then I will but personally I don't think it's necessary every week if you are satisfied with what you are eating otherwise. My diet also consists of food that I already enjoy, just within my calorie limits, which helps a lot. I figure, if this is going to be a lifestyle change and I am going to expect myself to change my eating habits for good, then I need to eat food that I like and not some cardboard crap. Sure, sometimes there is boring stuff and cardboard crap, but overall, you can't expect yourself to be successful if that's all it is.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Forget "cheat days", I'm going to incorporate "sin weekends" about every 4 weeks, or when I flat line (whichever is longer). I had flat lined my weight loss (being a boy scout with tracking and macros). I then went out of town for my nephew's wedding. I had Dairy Queen, drank beer, and ate potato chips (fried not baked, for maximum satisfaction!), and enjoyed yummy cake. Oh yeah, a Boston pizza run in there too. Result? I went home, started back to tracking and eating my macros like before, and started losing weight again (not re-losing anything gained on the weekend, I mean new lows!) I do have one regret about my sin weekend though - I didn't have any lime nacho chips, they'll be on my list for next time. :tongue:
  • PandaPants0612
    PandaPants0612 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat days but if I eat a not-so-healthy dinner, I don't worry about it. Yesterday, I ate twice as much as my (admittedly) low goal of 1200 but I've been at goal or under for the entire week and I plan on being at goal or slightly under for today as well. In the past, I've actually found that I have lost weight directly following a day where I have been over.

Plus, eating too much, like I did yesterday, makes me want to eat healthy even more for today. So I look at it as a healthy thing :)
  • gemmalianne84
    Options
    I'd say have a cheat meal rather than a cheat day. But we all have bad days and good days so don't fret.
  • tr33p1g
    tr33p1g Posts: 85
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cheat days as long as you maintain control overall. Mine tend to be cheat weekends ;) I just make sure I get plenty of exercise!
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    I don't really have what you'd consider a 'cheat day', but if I happen to screw up (which isn't hard), I don't punish myself. If you live a lifestyle of making healthy choices and fitness is your culture, you'll be fine. Moderation is key in my opinion. Self control leads to confidence, and confidence is sexy!
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    I don't do a whole day . . I can cheat a lot in 24 hours! LOL! But I do allow a cheat food every now and then. Usually salty sweet chocolate . . and usually when I'm PMS'ing!! It's for the greater good of all mankind!!

and we thank you for it! :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you individually is ok as long as the decision moves you closer towards your personal goals and doesn't derail them. Good luck!
  • barbellina
    Options
    I had gotten down to 121 lbs, my goal weight, so I decided to have a cheat meal, a burger and fries, and the next morning I woke up like this again. :sad: So, no, it's not ok to have a cheat day, and I will never do that again in my life.
  • marthas3110
    marthas3110 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating out with my partner and my friends and while I try to make sensible choices, it can result in times when you go over on your calories. But it keeps you sane. If you have the willpower, you can eat anything you want, just maintain the portions. I eat pizza with my partner sometimes, but only have one/two slices, and that satisfies me.

If you need a cheat day to keep you sane, then go for it. But use the willpower you have the rest of the week to not go completely mad.