how soon do you eat breakfast?

Options
i looked around a bit to see if this has been posted before and i didn't really find anything, so eh, here it goes:
how soon do you wait after you wake up to eat breakfast?
i woke up at 8:20ish and it's 9:45ish right now.
i'm just starting to get a little hungry now, but i've had people tell me that you should eat immediately after waking up and going to the bathroom. i've also had people say that as long as you eat within the first hour it's fine and then there's been people telling me that you just eat when you get hungry.
i'm really, really confused.
which one is it? does anyone know?
thank you all :)

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I eat as soon as I get up but I have a smoothie. I don't like eating something heavy in the morning. I also eat 5 meals per day so if I waited, it would throw off my schedule.
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you should eat within an hour of waking up in order to boost your metabolism and avoid a blood sugar crash, but I'm with you....I'm never hungry when I first wake up. It takes me a while to be ready to eat, although I do try to eat within 2 hours of waking. If I tried to eat as soon as I woke up, I'd feel sick to my stomach and that's not a good way to start the day. I'd love to hear some "scientific" answers to this, too!
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    During the week I get up at 5am and tend to have my breakfast at 9:30 due to work, on a weekend I probably eat within the first 2 hours.
    I do believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it kick starts the metabolism, without fuel the fire wont burn :smile:
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am usually quite hungry when I wake up.

When I wake up I hit the shower and then have breakfast right after that.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat when I'm hungry. Some mornings food just doesn't sound good right away so I wait. Others I wake up starving. LOL I got the way I am now by eating when I wasn't hungry, thats what I'm trying to change.
    Do what works best for you.
  • praskovka
    Options
    Before I didn't have the habit to have breakfast.Now I do *proud* I have it as soon as I get up in the morning.It's usually between 8am. and 9am. When I have to get up early for school I'm doing this again as soon as I get up.But then it's at 6a.m.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I eat a light dinner usually so I am starving when I get up. I try to eat before 9 and I try to make it one of my biggest meals
  • breza262
    breza262 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wake up and immediately drink a glass of water, then exercise. By the time I finish with all of that plus a shower, I'm not too hungry, but I drink a protein shake. That usually lasts me until mid morning, when I actually eat for the first time. It works really well for me and keeps my calorie count down in the morning without feeling deprived.
  • nathaliasmommy
    nathaliasmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat as soon as i wake up also.. On the weekdays im up at 620am and eating by 640..usually a smoothie or oatmeal.
    On the weekends i'm up at about 8ish and basically cooking right away.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Depends on how hungry/sleepy I am.

During the work week, I eat within an hour of waking up.
    The weekends whenever I feel like getting out of bed.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Depends if I'm working that day or not. If I'm working, then I get up, have a bath, get dressed, then eat breakfast, to be ready to leave my house at 7:00am. My breakfast is within half an hour of getting up.

If I'm not working, and not going anywhere, I get up more at a more leisurely pace, and often leave it a few hours before eating, and have a brunch rather than breakfast.

Both of these methods work well for me. It simply depends on the demands of the day.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I say eat when your body tells you to.
  • Caggle123
    Caggle123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What ever time I get up I always have my breakfast between 10 and 10.30... I'm a creature of habit!
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    I'm usually very hungry when i wake up, but i need to take my medicine on an empty stomach, so i take my medicine, shower and eat after that. I then eat every 3hrs which comes to about 5x/day.
  • nabak147112
    nabak147112 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat within an hour of getting up
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between an hour and 2 hours after waking up.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Today is a typical morning. After being up for about 20 minutes, I made a whey protein shake with milk and almonds, for about 470 calories. Within an hour or so, I'll have a proper breakfast: an omelette of some sort with ham, cheese, and peppers, for another 500 or so calories.

I should point out that I don't eat after dinner at 7 PM, so I'm usually fasted about 14 hours before breakfast.

I eat 2,600 calories a day, to put things into perspective.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't eat in the morning. My first meal is 4-5 hours after I'm up, sometimes even more. I'm just not hungry until later in the day.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I do not eat breakfast. I heard all the people saying breakfast is the most important meal...get's your metabolism moving, etc...but not for me.

I tried breakfast within an hour of waking up every day for two weeks, It was a good breakfast - eggs, usually. I gained weight even though I never exceeded my caloric intake.

So, back to no breakfast and losing again. I think it is because I eat between noon and 10pm so my body's food cycle is different. I eat five times a day, just later, and it works for my body.
  • shortjennifer
    Options
    It all depends on your daily timetable, I guess. If you have to leave the house to get to work breakfast first thing sounds good, but given more time when you are hungry probably works. This is such an individual choice and your body knows best. Listen to what it is telling you and go for it! Let's not have too many rules about stuff - we can make our own decisions and work out our own preferences