What is YOUR Opinion?

Options
Walking. I don't speed-walk, I'm most often at a 3-3 1/2 mph pace. Should I consider this "real" exercise? Of course I know it's exercise, but I mean opposed to running, biking, elliptical, etc.....? I try to walk for at least an hour, hopefully making it a bit more productive. I HAVE begun to intersperse short jogs (I'm embarrassed to say I can't jog for longer than 20-30 seconds at a time) within my walks, but that's rare.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

~Allie

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    are you walking fast enough to get your heart rate up? then it's definitely exercise!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Walking is fantastic and should be considered real exercise. Sitting on the couch watching TV should not. :)
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would ! It's a start.... and if you are consciously getting up and walking rather than sitting on your butt, it is exercise!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Walking. I don't speed-walk, I'm most often at a 3-3 1/2 mph pace. Should I consider this "real" exercise? Of course I know it's exercise, but I mean opposed to running, biking, elliptical, etc.....? I try to walk for at least an hour, hopefully making it a bit more productive. I HAVE begun to intersperse short jogs (I'm embarrassed to say I can't jog for longer than 20-30 seconds at a time) within my walks, but that's rare.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

~Allie

Ur doing awesome!! Those short bursts of jogging is great too:). Of course it's real exercise :). Keep up the great walks. I've been walking for years and have lost. 42 lbs so u bet it's exercise!!
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My first 15 pounds was lost with walking being the main exercise I used. It is great as a beginning exercise, and it does wonderful things for the legs and rear end.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Any time you are getting up and moving for a substantial amount of time is good imo. Your jogging bursts will get longer the more you do this routine.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Of course it is. It is listed in the database. Walking 3.0 mph is the pace I use when walking the dog and we go for 30 mins. It's not a huge calorie burn but it is exercise. One of my favourite sayings here is "It doesn't matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping those people who are still on the couch!"
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    "Count" it for what purposes? When the exercise police come knocking? :smile: Do you mean should you log it on MFP? I would, just to make sure you're getting enough calories. If you're on the "sedentary" setting, then walking for an hour several (?) days a week is a bit more active than sedentary. From the kind of advice that doctors give out, what you're doing is far better than not doing any at all. Keep trying to add those short jogs in, and don't be embarrassed; everyone has to start somewhere! I've just started the Couch to 5k programme which starts off with 60 second jogs interspersed with walking, so once you're up to 60 seconds, maybe that would be an option? Another way of getting more out of your walks would be to get a heart rate monitor, if you haven't already. You could still walk the same distance, but being able to see your heart rate helps you to push yourself a little bit more each time.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well I don't log any exercise at all. I just eat a certain number of calories every day whether I work out or not. So if I took a walk or took a run, it wouldn't make any difference as far as "counting" it as exercise or not. I do think moving in any way is better than sitting around. It's good for you. I don't think our bodies are made to sit around all the time.
  • lckunz
    lckunz Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

~Allie
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    I would ! It's a start.... and if you are consciously getting up and walking rather than sitting on your butt, it is exercise!
    excellent post
  • lckunz
    Options
    Walking at that speed with the interspersed jogs is exactly the kind of exercise that won't burn you out, and will be enjoyable for the rest of your life. Probably want to mix up where you walk, and perhaps add a partner or two.
  • lckunz
    Options
    It's just great. You'll be able to keep it up the rest of your life.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

~Allie
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

~Allie

Walking for an hour is not nothing, but the benefits of exercise derive from the intensity as well as the duration. Assuming your physical condition permits it, I would keep alternating jogging and walking, gradually increasing the jogging. That's the method many use to condition themselves for running.

You should also wear a heart rate monitor during your walks. It will give you an idea of how intense the walk is.
  • Alibobba
    Alibobba Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the great feedback!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 60 pounds just walking. It's the most underestimated exercise out there! My guess is that once you become more fit you will want to add more to your work-outs but walking is a great first step! Now I jog, strength train and do strenuous boot camp as well as walking my son to and from school every day. (It's about 2 miles of walking per day when all is said and done). Great job and keep it up!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the level of physical activity you're at. I walk at 5mph, but that's because my fat would laugh at 3mph LOL. Seriously, I need to walk that fast to get up to a pouring sweat, heart rate up, etc. and I attribute my speed to my great rate of weight loss. Especially considering I eat 1800-2k cals a day.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at jogging or running but I love a good walk.
    Anything that speeds up ur hear rate or makes u sweat a little sold be classed as exercise to me xxx
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It is up to you. Plenty of people have lost weight walking.