Is it ok to have a ''cheat day"?

Options

Replies

• CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Gosh... I'm amazed how many people have 'cheat days' and their diet still works for them.

I personally prefer to have the same calorie goal every day and stick to it. If I'm under on my calories for a few days I might allow myself to go over slightly on another day PROVIDED my total calories for the week remains under my weekly target.

I think everyone has to make it work their way. If I had a full blown 'cheat day' every week I think I'd abuse it.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mine are 'free days' - I'm usually under for most days out of a fortnight or whatever so I know I can indulge one day if it happens to come up. I don't deliberately set out to have these though.

^^THIS^^
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I know it's a system that works for some people. Personally I prefer to work with the everything in moderation line of eating because if I look at it as a cheat day or meal or whatever, I know I'm going to overeat. A lot. So instead I simply allow myself what I want, when I want it in reasonable quantities that stay within my allotted calories.

When it comes down to it, you won't know if it'll work for you unless you try it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I just plain don't log on weekends. At all. Or holiday or vacations. I started with taking one day off a week, usually a Saturday, to just eat normally without counting or measuring exact servings, and started that in April of 2011. Two months later, when I reached my initial goal weight in June of 2011, I took both weekend days off.

I tend to get obsessive with calories and macros. I crunch the numbers and want everything to be perfect. I don't want to be that way every day for the rest of my life. Some days, I just want to eat without thinking about grams of protein. I want to have a handful of pretzels, not count, "Ok, ten of these pretzel sticks is one serving...." And I a lot of times, I eat less just eating on instinct than I do by being precise.
  • jammer1964
    Options
    I saw this topic posted and couldn't wait to read it ... because today is my birthday, and I'm going to splurge a little! I'm not planning on cake or ice cream, but to have something a little indulgent is going to be nice.

And I loved the comment up higher about "it's only cheating if you don't log it"!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the term "cheat" when it comes to dieting. Cheat meal or cheat day. For me, it implies you are doing something wrong when I feel that some people are able to indulge a little.

If you are able to eat certain foods without going crazy then do so. I just know I have had a lot of "cheat years".
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    I had a cheat day yesterday and im down 2lbs today. Its good to hit the reset button and have a high calorie day.
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat meal, just over 2,000 calories but then I spent the rest of the weekend walking and stayed in my calories every day - I never gained that week.....and it was worth it!! I needed the treat....
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I don't do 'cheat days' I reward myself with non-food items instead, say if I have done well over the space of a month I might buy a new t-shirt or get my nails done. :)

That way you're not tempting yourself to fall of the wagon again.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with those that say that having a day of indulgence is good for your sanity. It does require willpower and I would try to limit it to once a month rather than once a week if it is going to be a truly epic cheat day. If it's a day where you eat your normal calorie limit rather than your MFP goal limit....that's not really even cheating. That's just eating like you will when you are done trying to lose weight.

As someone mentioned above, a day of indulgence can kickstart a new downward trend if you get back on the horse and ride. It worked for me when I was out of town and ate more than I should have. For those quibbling about the word "cheat".....stop it. Internet nitpicking is one of the most annoying habits in the world. Wait....I just did it myself! Filth, flarn, filth!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day at least once a week and I'm still losing weight.
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    I have cheat days when I feel they're necessary. They don't hurt as long as you don't eat a billion calories. Instead of eating 1400 like normal, eat more but keep it under control.

Same here.... I still log too and usually those bad days are still like 2000-2300 calories. I usually only really have one meal that's higher or a snack.
  • kgates121
    kgates121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree Beezil. You should let yourself indulge in something special once a week to continue to stay on track. A rigid diet is very hard to stick with.
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    I have a cheat day at least once a week and I'm still losing weight.

Totally agree. I build into my plan one day a week I go higher calorie. That doesnt mean I eat an extra day of calories in one meal. It means I might eat maybe 20% more calories. I am consistently losing weight doing this.

If you are binging or over eating alot your meal plan is too restrictive. When I was too restrictive I was not losing any weight. Easy up and enjoy your meals, its only food :)
  • slipchuck
    slipchuck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is OK to have one day a week that you allow yourself to have some sweets. By allowing yourself that 1 special treat a week you do not feel as deprived and are more likely to keep on track. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    LOL...amen Sista! the greater good of all MANkind :laugh:
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I believe that I'm learning how to eat for life...not diet. Therefore on occasion I do eat what I want not necessarily what's good for me. It's usually a meal, not the entire day and I believe it keeps me from going off the deep in. I'm not eating 3,000 cals on that day but I'm not eating 1,500 either. For me this is a life style change...I have to learn how to eat to live and not let food control me.

So to answer your question, I say go for it...but never more than one meal or one day.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    NO ABSOLUTELY NOT EVER
  • Inrequia
    Inrequia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days, but still try to be concious of what I'm consuming during them. Typically, it turns into a cheat meal and a snack or two, but I ensure that I drink plenty of water and get a half decent work out. I have struggled with over-eating and emotional eating, so moderation has been my biggest lesson. If you stick to smaller portions of the things you love, then go for it! Just be sure to log it because a lot of little things can add up quickly.

I'm trying to focus on re-vamping my eating habits for life. I'm changing my diet, but it's not a "diet".. if that makes any sense. You can't deny yourself treats for the rest of your life. Learn how to incorporate them in a healthy way.
  • Augustgal12
    Augustgal12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat day per week,usually Friday's, but i still keep aware of what i am eating. I am at the point now when i don't even want the cheat day some weeks,I'd rather stick to my healthy ways of eating.