What do you do before bed to have a good night sleep?

Options
2»

Replies

• tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I read. Right now I am about 70% through The Fiery Cross which is the 5th book in the Outlander series.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Read, but not from the computer screen. No caffeine after 9am and no working out later than 5pm. I used to love working out at later hours, but I wasn't able to sleep afterwards.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    :D I meditate. It's not nearly as weird as you might think. Just find a position you can keep, close your eyes and focus on one image - or just focus on your breathing. Every time you do it, sit the exact same way, maybe even in the same place, and think about the same image, or focus on your breathing. Don't let your thoughts distract you. After a while you'll find it helps relax you. :) For myself, I picture a willow tree outlined against a large moon. I let the branches wave a bit, and focus on it until I feel nice and calm. I find it helps quiet my mind and I drift off to sleep easier.
    That's awesome!!!!

Awesome!!!

Herbal teas and music. If I have time!! Usually I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow.
  • pinksparklevapor1965
    Options
    :heart: Hot bubble bath zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:drinker: :heart:
  • this_is_my_year
    this_is_my_year Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read or play on my DS or listen to sleep hypnotherapy vids on youtube. There's a massive bunch of them. I found this one works well for me. http://youtu.be/zk7SQ6ZZxUM
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    Read or watch some law and order. If I cant sleep or feel like i'll be up all night I'll take some Melatonin to help make me tired
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Take 5mg Melatonin and a bottle of Jack (just kidding on the Jack but wish I wasn't).
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Brush my teeth, take my fish oil pills, snuggle into the covers and curl up into a small ball. Then I make up a story and think about it while falling asleep.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Make sure it's nice and cold in the house and recently I started taking ZMA; I sleep really well now.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Magnesium citrate has really been improving my sleep quality. I will also mediate if I am having a hard time falling asleep.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    When I work night shift I mix a 22 ounce glass of water with 2 teaspoons of Natural Calm. Full of magnesium that's good for you and aids in sleep. You can get it at your health food store and it comes in a few different flavors. I use the orange flavor.

Nice suggestion! I'd love to try it. I will look into it!

This is the magnesium citrate I use - it's da-bomb. Dissolves really well, tastes great. I have found other brands to be gritty. Blech.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I read. Right now I am about 70% through The Fiery Cross which is the 5th book in the Outlander series.

I read as well. I just finished book one of the Outlander series.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I turn the brightness all the way down on my Kindle and read a few chapters.
  • nordicSnow
    Options
    I do sudoku...it's the only thing that gets my mind off of everything that is going on, and after one or two games I'm sound asleep...works every time :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I read or play on my DS or listen to sleep hypnotherapy vids on youtube. There's a massive bunch of them. I found this one works well for me. http://youtu.be/zk7SQ6ZZxUM

So awesome. Thank you.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i don't usually have trouble sleeping, but i read somewhere that people who do struggle to get to sleep often need to change their habits so that bed is for sleep and sleep only. no reading before turning the lights out, no watching tv, no painting your nails, no playing with your phone, your body needs to know that when you go to your bedroom, it's sleep time.

other things - i've got a lovely pillow spray that i used just because it's nice and i find it relaxing - it's got orange oils and lavendar and a few other things, and it just smells so soothing. A drop of lavendar essential oil near your pillow (or even a little bit massaged on your temples or behind your ears) can be very soothing.

Twinings make a great spearmint and chamomile tea which i will sometimes drink at bedtime if i feel like my mind won't stop going.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Smoke

^^^^ this, while in front of the zombie machine (TV) makes me sleepy