Couldn't finish c25k on day one:(

Options

Replies

• BluenoserChick
    BluenoserChick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Absolutely keep going. I'm doing a modified c25k 3-4 times a week at the gym. I walk at 3.1mph for 5 min, then run at 5.0 (yes, I'm short, that's fast for me) for 60 secs. I do that for 35mins (last 5 min cool down).

Hey, if I can manage that at 42 and 230 lbs,..... one more week then I take it to walk 4.5 min, run for 1.5....

I'll get there, and so will you. KEEP GOING!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have some advice. Keep going. The whole point of C25K is that you do what you can do, then each day and each week you try to do a little more. For some people, the first week is too easy. For others, it's too hard. Don't worry about it. Do what you can do, and each time out, try to do a little bit more. So you can't go as far as the program goal on day one? So what. Not a problem. Do what you can. Then try do more.

Your neighborhood is hilly? GOOD. Then you'll get into shape much faster. Feeling wiped out? GOOD. That means you're trying your best to achieve something you could not previously do. Feeling frustrated? GOOD. That means you care. Keep trying. Keep going. Keep improving.

Very sound advice; keep at it.
    Treadmills set with a 0 incline are doing the work for you so if you are doing C25K on a treadmill then please use atleast a 1% incline. I have had friends who have done C25K on ellipticals and been successful, but same rules apply resistance is key.
    Most running programs are set-up to allow you to repeat days until you are feeling comfortable to move to the next level, do not wait til you think it is easy push yourself atleast one day a week. Finally take those rest days in between your run days and walk.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have some advice. Keep going. The whole point of C25K is that you do what you can do, then each day and each week you try to do a little more. For some people, the first week is too easy. For others, it's too hard. Don't worry about it. Do what you can do, and each time out, try to do a little bit more. So you can't go as far as the program goal on day one? So what. Not a problem. Do what you can. Then try do more.

Your neighborhood is hilly? GOOD. Then you'll get into shape much faster. Feeling wiped out? GOOD. That means you're trying your best to achieve something you could not previously do. Feeling frustrated? GOOD. That means you care. Keep trying. Keep going. Keep improving.

^^^^^ This

When I first started out, I weighed 468 pounds. I had to begin by walking around my trailer. As I built up, I started walking near our lake that has a path and benches every so often. I would have to sit every few minutes, but I kept building up my time. Fast forward to now, I am walking by the lake a couple hours a day 5 - 6 days a week without needing to stop to take breaks.

All that about myself was only to demonstrate that each of us have to start out where we are and then push to improve. I am seriously considering doing the C25K myself when I have lost some more weight. Hopefully you can be one of the people I look to when I am starting my first day and wonder if I can do it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hills are rough. Hills and running too fast are a recipe for disappointment. :wink:

Go slow. So slow you could probably walk as fast as you're running. If you're on a treadmill, keep nudging up the speed until you have to break into a jog and go at that pace. (For me, that was 5mph to start. I could still walk at 4.5mph, and my comfortable walk pace is 3.5.)

If the one minute interval is too much, take it back a step. Think of it as week .5 instead of week 1. Run 30 seconds then walk instead of one minute and walk. Or for the first week, just run slowly until you need to take a break, then walk until you catch your breath, and repeat.

Also, when I run, I like to think to myself that I'm dancing. I try to move in time to the music, maybe mouth the words a little, get into the groove a bit. If I tell myself I'm dancing, I know damn well I can dance for longer than one minute. If I have a mile left, I know that will take me about the length of three songs. So I tell myself , "You can keep dancing for three more songs!"
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    You can do it, keep trying, do what you can and you will get there!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes, DON'T STOP trying. I was much the same way when I started. So what if you have to do week 1 for 4 weeks. You will do it! Some run days are better than others too. I started C25K a year ago. I couldn't finish the weeks on time always but I never gave up. Monday on am on week three of B210K. I'm so excited. You CAN do this!
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Im now on week 7, and who would have thought id be running for 25 mins, believe in it it does work, and definitely as alot of others say, slow down, its getting the regular rythym you need to concentrate on not speed.
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. Be faithful doing it 3 or 4 times a week. Don't worry about speed. Go slower than you think you should. I think that most of the hard part of running is mental. Don't listen to the voice in your head that tells you to stop. You can do it!
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you will be able to do this. millions of people have. lots of them overweight and out of shape too. just expect that you're going to have to repeat workouts and/or weeks of the training. expect this up front so you're not disappointed when it happens. it's no big deal. the important thing is to keep going and do what you can. you will progress though, i promise you.

also, i've heard people say that the first run of the week usually sucks and is hard, the second one is okay and the third one feels great. this was pretty much my experience for the most part.
  • justinbohannon
    justinbohannon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my first post ever on the boards here. I started using Myfitnesspal April 16, and have lost a lot of weight, starting at 286. I'm 232 now, been at that level for several weeks, kind of stalled out. I started on the c25k program 8-19 last Sunday. I'm almost 38, haven't really run since high school, and have always hated it :) The time I ran a mile in high school, it was something like 11:30 mile. So not good then, not super now. I've skipped a couple of off days, and did week 2 day 2 today. My first day of week 1 was on treadmill, but I was bored and have been outside the next 4 jog days. So my legs hurt, lower legs outside muscles and calves in particular. I'm forcing myself to just power through it, even though jogging isn't fun to me. I jog fairly slowly, I don't run super fast. I did 2.36 miles today at a 13:08 min/mile average over the 31 minutes, and a speed average of 4.57 MPH. Again, not super fast, but I improved over yesterday's jog/walk. It's starting to get a little bit addicting to me, and I'm stoked when I look at my results and see a little improvement over the previous time. On week 2, i'm pretty worn out by the time I'm done with the 6th jog, but still push through. Week 3 is making me nervous lol.

I will say that I use an app on iphone called jog log. It has the couch to 5k program in it and will tell you when to start walking and running. I also play music when I run. The Jog Log app will keep logs and will export map routes and uses gps as well. I like it.

For those people who have done the couch to 5k program and weren't really runners before, which week did you feel had the most increase in difficulty for you?
  • Ivarivdnoe
    Ivarivdnoe Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Love this!! Such encouragement! I didn't finish C25k week 1 day 3 today, but I will try again tomorrow! :)
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am the one Snooozie mentioned in her post. The first few weeks are the hardest. Just do what you can. I remember there were some days my legs just ached, I really needed those rest days. At 52 years old I was never a runner. Allways finished last in high school and still do not consider myself a runner, I call it slogg, but when I started I could not run across the street. Trust me every day will get a little easier. Now I have done 2 5k's. Feel free to add me as a friend. I would be happyt to offer you support.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Running outside is hard. I'm doing it on a treadmill only because I don't have time while it's light out and it *is* easier on a treadmill. Bonus? A/C. It doesn't change that I'm running distances that I'd never have been able to do before. It doesn't change the fact that I'm proud of my 14 minute mile rate because my best used to be 20 minutes plus. You're still running. You're still improving stamina. We will BOTH be able to run hills sooner rather than later, so don't beat yourself up.

And, don't worry about completing day one your first time around. Keep doing it! You'll get there!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This is my first post ever on the boards here. I started using Myfitnesspal April 16, and have lost a lot of weight, starting at 286. I'm 232 now, been at that level for several weeks, kind of stalled out. I started on the c25k program 8-19 last Sunday. I'm almost 38, haven't really run since high school, and have always hated it :) The time I ran a mile in high school, it was something like 11:30 mile. So not good then, not super now. I've skipped a couple of off days, and did week 2 day 2 today. My first day of week 1 was on treadmill, but I was bored and have been outside the next 4 jog days. So my legs hurt, lower legs outside muscles and calves in particular. I'm forcing myself to just power through it, even though jogging isn't fun to me. I jog fairly slowly, I don't run super fast. I did 2.36 miles today at a 13:08 min/mile average over the 31 minutes, and a speed average of 4.57 MPH. Again, not super fast, but I improved over yesterday's jog/walk. It's starting to get a little bit addicting to me, and I'm stoked when I look at my results and see a little improvement over the previous time. On week 2, i'm pretty worn out by the time I'm done with the 6th jog, but still push through. Week 3 is making me nervous lol.

I will say that I use an app on iphone called jog log. It has the couch to 5k program in it and will tell you when to start walking and running. I also play music when I run. The Jog Log app will keep logs and will export map routes and uses gps as well. I like it.

For those people who have done the couch to 5k program and weren't really runners before, which week did you feel had the most increase in difficulty for you?

This sounds so much like me, only I'm older. I hated running my whole life. I'm an addict now. I agree with the music while running. Helps me not focus on the run.

I think the first three weeks were the hardest for me. After that I was sure I could do it even if it took longer than the program said. I recommend signing up for a 5k. Just go! Even if you can't run the whole thing you will realize that you can finish! Just keep going! I'm now on week three of bridge to 10 k. I run slow but at least I'm running! :)
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have the ease into 5k app on my phone and I love it! I do it on the treadmill at the gym on a slight incline (1%). I started July 3rd and do the program about 3-5 times a week. However I am only on week 4 day 2 (with weeks beging broken up into 3 days). I have obviously repeated many days, most of which occurred in weeks 3 &4. I love this program!!

Definitely don't give up! Take your time and repeat days multiple times if necessary. And dont worry about speed so much as just being able to improve on your endurance.
    Good luck :-)
  • sausagepaula
    Options
    I have the ease to 5k app on my phone which starts running for 30 seconds instead of a minute. All I can advise is go slow as you can. This isnt the day to be mimicing Usain Bolt!!! Persevere you will get there I promise. When i started I too could not run for a minute, my longest run to date is 90 minutes... ( all be it very slow!!)

Paula x
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to work myself into jogging (I don't want to say running because I have never been a runner, but I could be a jogger ;-) )), so I downloaded a C25K app yesterday. I'm going to try it out tonight and really hope it's something I can stick to. I didn't have a chance to read through everyone's responses to this post, so my question has probably already been answered. Since I'm just beginning should I do it every day or say, every other day? I'm also going to go for a second round of my 30 Day Shred dvd and I'm getting an elliptical off of layaway at the end of this week.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to work myself into jogging (I don't want to say running because I have never been a runner, but I could be a jogger ;-) )), so I downloaded a C25K app yesterday. I'm going to try it out tonight and really hope it's something I can stick to. I didn't have a chance to read through everyone's responses to this post, so my question has probably already been answered. Since I'm just beginning should I do it every day or say, every other day? I'm also going to go for a second round of my 30 Day Shred dvd and I'm getting an elliptical off of layaway at the end of this week.

You're 'supposed' to do C25K three times a week, with a days rest in between each run. However, I say supposed to as I'm sure I'm not the only one that did the program differently: I followed the program for week one, and then from week two onward I ran for two days on a trot, took a day off and repeated for the week- so I did four runs of each week. Then from week three I started running twice a day- honestly, see how your body feels.

I graduated from the program last month and now have a 5k race under my belt, and finished a 10k run tonight. I run twice a day on a two day-rest day-two day pattern, doing one shorter run in the morning/intervals and then a longer run in the evening/hill training. I'd be tempted to see how your body takes to it, I can't cope now without my morning run, the day just doesn't flow properly and I find the hour out in the evening really helps to set the day straight. However, what I would say is that I'm quite young (23) and I wouldn't be following my pattern if I'd had any previous injuries/if I started to hurt anywhere from running.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Hills are tough. I purposefully avoided hills until after I completed C25K (and after my first 5K which turned out to be a mountain trail run! OOPS! Lesson learned.....check what you are signing up for before you commit to it!) In order to avoid hills, I had to drive to the local track. The track also offers a softer surface which is good for beginners. If that isn't possible, do you have any parking lots that don't get used? We have a former IBM complex which is now largely empty, creating empty parking lots! I have also just driven around looking for the most level place to run.
  • amandalema
    Options
    Don't get yourself down...I couldn't finish the day one either. A friend of mine who runs all the time recommended repeating day 1 as many times as necessary to get through the whole thing. You will be able to go further each time. Once you are able to get through day 1 repeat it for a week. Then progress from there. It isn't a point of getting there in 8 weeks. It's the point of getting there. Keep up the good work.