C25K - anyone doing it or have done it?

Options

Replies

• Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just started again today. Training for a 5k next month. I did it before and I got to week 7 and it worked great for 5k training so I am back at it again!
  • mojosister
    mojosister Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started it in early July to shake up my cardio routine. I'm working towards my first 5k at the end of September. Week 7 Day 2 tomorrow!
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3, Day 3. Really enjoying it.

The issue I'm having is that when I use the treadmill, I have a really consistent speed and stamina, but when running outside, I don't push myself nearly as hard, even though it's not intentional. I usually run/walk for an additional 15 minutes on the treadmill and get to the 5k mark, but outside I usually only get to about 2.25 in 30 minutes, and feel wiped.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I finished week 6 today! But I kind of cheated and started at week 4 because I was already running a bit..
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm working on Week 7-Day 1 now.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I will finish week 8 tomorrow and I'm planning on registering for the Komen 5k Oct 21. I never thought I'd be able to run but I am doing it...slowly but still getting it done.

I did try running on a treadmill the other day to avoid running so early in the dark but it felt horrible. I'm just not sure how people run on a treadmill comfortably but I'd love to learn the trick so I can stop worrying about getting killed so early in the morning or tripping and falling in the dark.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Completed Week 2 today. I'm doing more of a jog than run, but that is better than warming the couch !!!!
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    i'm a BIG BOY who is trying to have a healthier lifestyle ... I want to run ... I want to BE a runner!! I want to love it and crave it, like I crave that bag of Doritos!! I have recently started C25K, and so far, so good. I actually really, REALLY like it!! And so far, I have been successful. I even ran my second session in the pouring rain, because I was not gonna be discouraged on the second time!! i am on week 4, and i couldn't complete the W4D1 session on wednesday ... but then friday morning i NAILED it ... hopefully i can crush it again in the morning!! i LOVE C25K and i LOVE the fact that i look forward to running!!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Keep it up everyone... this program is for everyone big, small, in between! :drinker:
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am sitting on the fence, still contemplating. I'm not too good a runner, and I dont enjoy running. So Im just a - waithing
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i'm a BIG BOY who is trying to have a healthier lifestyle ... I want to run ... I want to BE a runner!! I want to love it and crave it, like I crave that bag of Doritos!! I have recently started C25K, and so far, so good. I actually really, REALLY like it!! And so far, I have been successful. I even ran my second session in the pouring rain, because I was not gonna be discouraged on the second time!! i am on week 4, and i couldn't complete the W4D1 session on wednesday ... but then friday morning i NAILED it ... hopefully i can crush it again in the morning!! i LOVE C25K and i LOVE the fact that i look forward to running!!

well done! Getting to week 4 is awesome! I'm still on week 2!
  • laurenb1994
    laurenb1994 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I decided I would start it the Monday after I got back from my holiday - which is tomorrow!

But motivation is a real struggle - Here's hoping I can drag my *kitten* out the door for once!

Does anyone here have tips on motivation?

And would you recommend doing it early morning or late at night? (I don't really want to go out during the main part of the day)
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am sitting on the fence, still contemplating. I'm not too good a runner, and I dont enjoy running. So Im just a - waithing

I had never run in my life until I started C25K - wouldn't even run for a bus! The first week running for one minute killed me totally - I was so unfit! I have now finished it and try to run 5k at least once a week, either on the treadmill in the gym or outside - I love running outside for the fresh air but I do find it slightly harder to do. Download the app and go for it - you will not regret it - it is the best thing I ever did - my next move is to get my gait analysed and organise some proper running shoes (I bought fairly cheap ones just in case i gave up and they are a bit knackered now). I am in the US later this year so I will be buying some new trainers & running kit whilst I am out there. Plus I have got awesome thighs now - they so do not wobble any more!
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it.

I am an awful runner, I can swim, row, play sports for hours, but I can barely run for 5 minutes. No idea why. I'm on week 4 and this week has really challenged me I must admit.

Still i see my progress and this spurs me on. Still can't see myself running 5k straight though!
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just started it today!..

though I seem to have lost week1 .. and started on week 2.. (which was actually okay!)

I cant waaaaaaaaaaaait to get better and see improvements!
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    just did week 2, day 1 this morning!

I'm on my way!! :-)

*SNAP* :drinker:
  • ellaminnowpea11
    Options

You're awesome!
  • ellaminnowpea11
    Options
    I decided I would start it the Monday after I got back from my holiday - which is tomorrow!

But motivation is a real struggle - Here's hoping I can drag my *kitten* out the door for once!

Does anyone here have tips on motivation?

And would you recommend doing it early morning or late at night? (I don't really want to go out during the main part of the day)

The app is great and once you get past a couple of weeks your progress will be your motivation.
  • ellaminnowpea11
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that was so encouraging! I find that right after day 3 of a week I try to talk myself into repeating day 3, then when the time comes I just go on to the next week and I am shocked that I can do it!

I think I'm going to sign up for a color run in September, I think that sounds like a lot of fun!
  • jynnantonnyk
    jynnantonnyk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Really want to get into this. I am not a runner, I enjoyed long distance/cross country at school but now I am out of shape and kind of apprehensive.

I can walk for miles and enjoy the outdoors but am a bit self conscious when running/gasping in public lol

I know it's probably not the best or most accurate way, but I have been doing the Wii Free running thing, just on the spot for 30 mins (said I ran 7766 metres but I'm doubtful how accurate it is)

I have a HRM, some decent shoes, clothes and all the apps ready to start this, gonna be doing it outdoors and not on a treadmill (cancelled my membership after a year of hardly ever going to the gym)... just need some self belief and determination to get through the hard parts.