Two Weeks with no Soda -- 8 lbs down!

Options
Just recording a small victory here. I have been a 6-pack a day sodaholic since I was 12-13 years old. Dr.Pepper and Coke are my drugs of choice. (For 18 months in the late 1990's I switched to diet, but lost no weight and looked puffier and felt worse.) In all those years I never went a single day without a soda.

Two weeks ago I gave them up cold turkey -- just water (no fruit juice or diet drinks). I had been thinking about it for a long time.

So, two weeks into this journey I got on the scale for the first time and I have lost 8 pounds.

Small victory -- a beginning!

On with the journey...

Replies

• Mima79
    Mima79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    nice start!!! keep it up!!!
  • luckyvirgo
    luckyvirgo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have heard that just a single soda a day can add 15 pounds a year. So, great job! I am sure that it was tough to stop cold turkey like that, but you did it!

Julie
  • ktbkitten
    Options
    That is awesome! Great job!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Very, Very cool!
    I had coke w/drawal once.
    Spent a week on the couch wondering what was wrong with me.
    Then the lightbulb went on.
    Well, you are doing something great.
    Congratulations, let us know how you progress!
    BTW, a healthy, naturally fizzy drink you may enjoy is GT Dave's Synergy:)
  • mistym1967
    Options
    That's awesome. I'm a sodaholic also. I have switched to diet but like you I have not seen a difference at all. I have cut back and am going to keep going forward. Your post gave me inspiration. Thank you.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You'll start feeling soooooo much better now! And you'll lose pounds :). Sugar is nasty stuff.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing start! Keep it up!!
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    That's great! You will be much healthier for it!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! Kicking my 2l Coke per day habit was brutal for me! But I am a year + into my new lifestyle and I don't miss it a bit!
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    WOW! Congratulations. I've cut back my soda intake by a lot and I'm trying to not keep it in the apartment anymore. I'm wanting to try giving it up, but I'm just too scared because I always get withdrawal headaches and as a college student, that's rough!

How did you do it?

I think I may have to switch up my soda intake with sparkling flavored water.
  • 118R3volution
    Options
    Amazzinnggg! Your body loves you so much now =)
  • wagner1199
    wagner1199 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Way to go! Keep it up! I did the same thing back in January and the weight started disappearing as well. And it was hard at first to stay away from it since I work for Pepsi and was around it everyday. But I just started drinking water when I got thirsty and have never looked back.
  • daryllynn515
    daryllynn515 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I totally understand!! I am a diet coke junkie and it was hard to give up!! I would go thru a 12 pack in less than a week. I would actually buy a 12 pack at the store and also grab a 20 oz. bottle to drink on the way home!! CRAZY!!! I noticed like you that when I "cleaned" my body of the soda and just drank water I noticed a big difference!
    Congrats and best of luck on the rest of your journey!!! :happy:

22795876.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! I am trying to do the same, but haven't quite made it. Totally addicted to soda. I envy your ability to stop! I will be there one day.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • bratius
    bratius Posts: 60
    Options
    I had stopped for about 2-3 weeks and saw results like that as well. Couldn't deal with the migraine, so I still have at least one a day!
  • laurac1172
    laurac1172 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everytime you choose to have water over soda it is a victory. All of those small victories will add up. Great Job and Good Luck!

BTW, Crystal Light (or generic) is only 5 calories (I only use 1/2 packet in a bottle of water, which makes it 2.5 calories). It just gives water a little bit of flavor.
  • Tesh25
    Tesh25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I too was a soda junkie, but Pepsi and Mountain Dew was my drug of choice. I did not quit drinking them cold turkey, but I stopped about 2 years ago and I did not loose any weight at all, but I did feel better about myself. I now only drink water or lemonade due to my kidney stone issue that I have. Now if I have soda it doesn't quench my thirst and I think it tastes discusting! Keep up the great work!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Changing your drinking habits alone would result in weight loss for nearly everybody. It's surprising how fast the calories in pop/juice can add up, and increase your intake for the day by a few hundred. I'm goin on 3years no soda. I allow myself to drink orange crush on New Years, the amount is based on how well I've behaved all year. And I had one can on my brothers wedding day this year.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    very awesome! and ur teeth will thank you too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!