How to cut calories...

Options

Replies

• AnnaMGP
    AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My daughter will be 2 in November knows how to use please and thank you properly. She asks for what she wants most of the time instead of demanding. But she throws a fit when she doesn't get what she wants. She is a smart toddler, key word being toddler. Do the people making a fuss about this have kids? If so no parent I have ever seen would tell their child no when they ask for food. Especially if they are at an age where they don't understand "eat what's on your plate or you don't eat" or even better "you don't get to leave the table til your done". I tried that one with my now 15 year old. His answer to that was to fall asleep beside or in his plate.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    It's funny sometimes how people take things so SERIOUSLY! sheesh. I have a 4 year old who, now, makes it a game/joke to grab my glass of water when she is thirsty.

It's not serious, and we both end up laughing about it. I call her a water thief. Yesterday she brought her sippy cup over and exchanged it with my glass of water.

Before I started weighing and measuring everything, she'd sit on my lap and we would share strawberries, grapes, bananas, apples etc. Sometimes Goldfish crackers, cheese sticks (string cheese we'd pull apart and eat) graham crackers with peanut butter. Pretty much any snack we have been known to share. To be terribly honest, teaching her to eat healthy, is FAR more important to me than her learning which fork she should use when she eats salad for heaven's sake. Or knowing a soup spoon from a tea spoon.

Etiquette is not my focus - general manners (don't scream at the table, throw, food, run around the table, behave in a restaurant) sure. But at 3, picking food from mom or dad's plate is not an issue.

Respectfully - chill out :)

I think SHARING your food with your child is a great thing to do--especially healthy food. "Eating in front of your child" because you want to "cut calories" and know they'll ask for your food is something else. To me it's a huge difference, sorry if you feel differently about it.

dude, chill, the OP was obviously being funny and making light of the fact that no matter what you're eating or when or where or whatever... any normal toddler is going to want to share your food with you. It's not wrong, it's not begging, it's nothing but a toddler being a toddler and wanting a bite off mommy's plate!

not a dude. you chill. get off my *kitten*...I can state my opinion just as everyone else has done.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I started using a smaller plate, like a salad plate for all meals. It gets full looking very fast with smaller portions, and you can feel good when you clean your plate!

This is what I do and has helped me a lot. I don't have small children at home so I really can't comment what others do. Since I've been using the smaller plater, when I'm done eating that, I'm full all of the time. Do whatever works for you.:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Make your plate of food and then eat it in front of your child. If they are anything like my 3 year old they will help you eat it. lol

My children are the only children I have ever known to NOT do this. Nieces/nephews, children I have babysat.. one and all wanted what I was eating. My kids.. nope. Can't say it bothers me though.. lol
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My daughter will be 2 in November knows how to use please and thank you properly. She asks for what she wants most of the time instead of demanding. But she throws a fit when she doesn't get what she wants. She is a smart toddler, key word being toddler. Do the people making a fuss about this have kids? If so no parent I have ever seen would tell their child no when they ask for food. Especially if they are at an age where they don't understand "eat what's on your plate or you don't eat" or even better "you don't get to leave the table til your done". I tried that one with my now 15 year old. His answer to that was to fall asleep beside or in his plate.

They obviously dont because anyone with kids knows this is what most of them do regardless of manners because they want to eat what mommy and daddy are eating. Im sure when they do have children they will be eating their words or be the parents of the kids that everyone feels sorry for because the kids dont get to enjoy life and live under super strict rules.. Let kids be kids!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Cut out bread a milk from your diet, if you are like me then that will drop 600 calories a day easy.

And adults dont need milk. In fact anyone over about 8 years old doesnt need milk.

ALso use a small plate for dinner. Makes you look like you have a big portion :)

Adults don't need bacon, either, but try taking it from me.

Anything to get a kid to eat, in my book. Drinking from my glass, though, is right out. I can't deal with backwash. :drinker:
    Actually, as an RDA nutrition student you absolutely DO need milk in your diet. It is the best source of calcium and vitamin D that you can get w/o supplements. And 90% of all Americans are Vitamin D deficient. Also before age 30, women need extra calcium to prevent bone loss. For information on nutrition and the new guidelines check out www.choosemyplate.gov. It is really different and an excellent source of information.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Wowzers OP, but you didnt think cracking a little fun would turn into this. Obviously anyone with children can relate to this post, like myself! Of course Mommas food tastes better than their own, even if it came out of the same pot. To those complaining, come on now, really?
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My kids had perfect table manners, knew how to use a knife and fork and ate whatever was put in front of them. They ate their own food, loved veggies fruit and whatever else I gave them. Then they started school and now they eat with their fingers, are fussy about food and would prefer to eat sweeties. Even when I was overweight I didn't eat masses of sweets kids learn by example and not always from their parents. I try to encourage healthy eating but you can only do do much. I once read that if a child Is taught good habits initially they will come back to that eventually. This is what I am hoping for as my kids were raised on home cooked food usually puréed versions of what we ate. I do allow my kids to try food from my plate as I believe in letting them try a variety of food. This is usually only when we eat out though as I like to encourage family mealtimes as much as possible and everyone eats the same.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Cut out bread a milk from your diet, if you are like me then that will drop 600 calories a day easy.

And adults dont need milk. In fact anyone over about 8 years old doesnt need milk.

ALso use a small plate for

er. Makes you look like you have a big portion :)

Anything to get a kid to eat, in my book. Drinking from my glass, though, is right out. I can't deal with backwash. :drinker:
    Actually, as an RDA nutrition student you absolutely DO need milk in your diet. It is the best source of calcium and vitamin D that you can get w/o supplements. And 90% of all Americans are Vitamin D deficient. Also before age 30, women need extra calcium to prevent bone loss. For information on nutrition and the new guidelines check out www.choosemyplate.gov. It is really different and an excellent source of information.
    [/quote
    AGREED! THANK YOU for sticking to the SUBJECT. If i have to hear about one more three year old who is perfect in every way.....EXCEPT for his/her sticky fingers at the
    dinner table. I will start to feed my pug from MY plate...oh the gasps.

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Smaller plates are a great idea! I started using a bowl rather then a plate.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options

ALso use a small plate for dinner. Makes you look like you have a big portion :)

^^ LOL!!!!
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Make your plate of food and then eat it in front of your child. If they are anything like my 3 year old they will help you eat it. lol

I hope this isn't a recurring act in your household. I can't stand it when children beg their parents for food.

Guess its a good thing you will never be around me or my child.

Way to teach your child proper eating etiquette :-)

My child knows how to eat off of his own plate and does so very well, thank you very much. This wasn't an open door to chide people on their parenting skills. It was meant to be funny. But like I said before, good thing you will never be around me or my child.
  • kariberi84
    Options

HAHA I draw the line at drinking from my glass too!!
  • kariberi84
    Options
    It's funny sometimes how people take things so SERIOUSLY! sheesh. I have a 4 year old who, now, makes it a game/joke to grab my glass of water when she is thirsty.

It's not serious, and we both end up laughing about it. I call her a water thief. Yesterday she brought her sippy cup over and exchanged it with my glass of water.

Before I started weighing and measuring everything, she'd sit on my lap and we would share strawberries, grapes, bananas, apples etc. Sometimes Goldfish crackers, cheese sticks (string cheese we'd pull apart and eat) graham crackers with peanut butter. Pretty much any snack we have been known to share. To be terribly honest, teaching her to eat healthy, is FAR more important to me than her learning which fork she should use when she eats salad for heaven's sake. Or knowing a soup spoon from a tea spoon.

Etiquette is not my focus - general manners (don't scream at the table, throw, food, run around the table, behave in a restaurant) sure. But at 3, picking food from mom or dad's plate is not an issue.

THANK YOU!!!
  • kariberi84
    Options

I think SHARING your food with your child is a great thing to do--especially healthy food. "Eating in front of your child" because you want to "cut calories" and know they'll ask for your food is something else. To me it's a huge difference, sorry if you feel differently about it.

So, you think I need to sit in a room all by my self and eat just so my kid won't want to eat off of my plate?? Funny thing is that I do NOT eat in front of him to cut my calories. I just find it amusing that I'm trying to watch what I eat and eat less calories and he is right there helping me along.
  • kariberi84
    Options

dude, chill, the OP was obviously being funny and making light of the fact that no matter what you're eating or when or where or whatever... any normal toddler is going to want to share your food with you. It's not wrong, it's not begging, it's nothing but a toddler being a toddler and wanting a bite off mommy's plate!

EXACTLY!!!
  • kariberi84
    Options

I see your point - I guess I just don't think she was being 100% serious about it I've said things too in posts where it was taken way too seriously - maybe I'm seeing the humor in the post - but I don't think the mom seriously does this on a regular basis.

Oh no... I eat in front of my child every day. It kinda happens when you sit at the table together for every meal. 90% of the time he has finished his food and wants my vegies. The other 10% of the time he is good with just his food.
  • kariberi84
    Options

I live in Washington where there is an even greater number of people with a vitamin D deficiency. I, however, rarely drink milk because I don't like it. But I take vitamin D and calcium.
  • kariberi84
    Options
    WOW!! Kinda wish I hadn't decided to try and be funny. I seem to have opened a huge can of worms and that Is not what I meant by this post.

I AM a good mom.
    my son IS polite.
    My son IS smart.
    My son gets plenty to eat and when he doesn't he asks for some off of my plate because he knows that I only make enough dinner for the 3 of us. We don't like left overs, so if he wants more he has to have it off of either my plate or my husbands. That is in NO way wrong.
    He does NOT beg for food. I NEVER said he did.
    I do NOT use him to help me reach my weight loss goals.

And lastly, stick it where the sun don't shine! Not everyone raises their children the same. And how dare you judge someone you know NOTHING about.
  • adjones87
    adjones87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My [almost] 2 year old just did this tonight :) We had Enchiladas with rice and beans. I gave him a plate of beans and rice, but only Mommy's rice would do. BTW, he has been turned into a vegetarian by some innate force which cannot be undone by my husband and I. He'll eat chicken nuggets, popcorn chicken, and the occasional bite of a hot dog. Yes, we put everything in front of him, he use to eat a ton of meat, then stopped all of a sudden. O well, rice, beans, veggies, fruit, and yogurt for now :) And he only "begs" me, my husband, and his Nana..otherwise, he knows better.