ITT: Ask me anything about losing weight.. (part 2)

Options

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am new at this weight lost journey and have just started to track my calories. I started out on MFP and the website assigned me 1720 calories a day. I followed this for a day or two and then after reading posts on the website, I decided to follow the post that required me to calculate my TDEE. I am 320lbs, 5'7 and I just started working out 4 times a week doing aqua aerobics, aqua kickboxing, light lifting, treadmills and the bike. When I calculated my TDEE it gave me 2400 calories. So I changed my MFP calories from 1720 to 2400. I feel like this is a lot of calories and I have a hard time finding ways to get all these calories in. I find myself eating when I am not hungry just to get all the calories in. I don't eat back my exercise calories since I am following the TDEE number of 2400. Am I doing this right? or should I go back to the 1720 calories MFP gave me and eat back my exercise calories.

I am very confused at what I am doing; however, this is my first week and I have lost 6lbs in 1 week. Is this a healthy weight loss. PLease help. Thanks.

Its very normal to lose a lot of weight at first. This is mostly water weight. Just keep at it for 3 weeks straight before making any changes to your diet or routine.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have lost 42 pounds since April 15, 2012. But I do beat myself up althought the lost is very good. I think I'm just worried about my stomach and not enough progress there. I started doing lifting on Saturday and I'm wondering will I see a diffence in about 30 days? I'm doing mostly ab crunches, back, and arms.

I still want to go down at least 25 more pounds. I was so surprise at the 42 pound lost in 4 months. LOL. I really had a goal of December 2013. I'm really ahead of the goal I set for myself.
  • Sublog
    Options
    If you hit a plateau how do you know if you should be eating more or less? In other words, if I am sustaining 500-1000 cal deficit for over a year and still not losing, should I eat more, or go even lower???

To be honest with you if you've been maintaining the same weight for a year, you don't have a 500-1000 calorie deficit.

First thing, go to doc, get physical. Ensure bloodwork and thyroid output is fine
    2nd, re-evaluate the way you workout/count calories/weigh food/count workout calories.

Something is wrong with something above.
  • Sublog
    Options
    Just wanted to say you are awesome and thanks for all your help in the past. :drinker:

Thank you!
  • Sublog
    Options
    I have lost 42 pounds since April 15, 2012. But I do beat myself up althought the lost is very good. I think I'm just worried about my stomach and not enough progress there. I started doing lifting on Saturday and I'm wondering will I see a diffence in about 30 days? I'm doing mostly ab crunches, back, and arms.

Congrats on the weight loss thus far! The stomach is a place where many people have issues with. With that being said, you need to figure out a better workout routine. Work your entire body! Doing crunches doesn't shrink your belly fat! 30 days you can make progress toward a better looking stomach, but don't expect 6 pack abs in a month.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    If you hit a plateau how do you know if you should be eating more or less? In other words, if I am sustaining 500-1000 cal deficit for over a year and still not losing, should I eat more, or go even lower???

To be honest with you if you've been maintaining the same weight for a year, you don't have a 500-1000 calorie deficit.

First thing, go to doc, get physical. Ensure bloodwork and thyroid output is fine
    2nd, re-evaluate the way you workout/count calories/weigh food/count workout calories.

I have had bloodwork, everything is fine. According to my bodymedia I burn average 2500-3000 cals perr day, and take in anywhere from 1700-2200 per day gross.. I weigh my food/portions and count everything. I workout 6 days per week and I lose and gain the same few pounds. I will lose a pounds, then gain 2, then lose 3 then gain 2 then lose 1 then gain 5 etc etc
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Congrats on the weight loss thus far! The stomach is a place where many people have issues with. With that being said, you need to figure out a better workout routine. Work your entire body! Doing crunches doesn't shrink your belly fat! 30 days you can make progress toward a better looking stomach, but don't expect 6 pack abs in a month.

No I know not to expect a six pack, but some progress. I'm doing the Elliptical for 30 to 60 on my day when I get off work and on Saturdays morning for 60 to 90 minutes. Since I just started the strenght training on Saturday I plan on incorporating that in 3 times per week. What you think. Thank you so much for your help
  • Sublog
    Options

I have had bloodwork, everything is fine. According to my bodymedia I burn average 2500-3000 cals perr day, and take in anywhere from 1700-2200 per day gross.. I weigh my food/portions and count everything. I workout 6 days per week and I lose and gain the same few pounds. I will lose a pounds, then gain 2, then lose 3 then gain 2 then lose 1 then gain 5 etc etc

My guess is that you're eating more calories than you think. And unless you're pretty active, that's a fairly high TDEE for a woman. All of these devices that estimate our TDEE's are simply using formulas to predict, and they could have a margin of error.

Do you weigh your foods with a food scale down to the gram? Do you eat back your exercise calories? Do you double check your math to ensure your macros and calories are correct?
  • Sublog
    Options

No I know not to expect a six pack, but some progress. I'm doing the Elliptical for 30 to 60 on my day when I get off work and on Saturdays morning for 60 to 90 minutes. Since I just started the strenght training on Saturday I plan on incorporating that in 3 times per week. What you think. Thank you so much for your help

Your stomach will shrink with continued weight loss. You cannot spot reduce fat. Continue to lose weight and belly will continue to go away.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

My guess is that you're eating more calories than you think. And unless you're pretty active, that's a fairly high TDEE for a woman. All of these devices that estimate our TDEE's are simply using formulas to predict, and they could have a margin of error.

Do you weigh your foods with a food scale down to the gram? Do you eat back your exercise calories? Do you double check your math to ensure your macros and calories are correct?

Thank you for the feedback.
    The bodymedia is supposed to be 95% accurate and it corresponds to burns I get with my HRM as well. I do weigh on a digital scale using grams. I hadnt been eating back exercise cals then I did. Tried changing things up with macros and that didnt seem to change anything

I dont think 2500-3000 is high for a woman. there are quite a lot of people on this site (2 groups 'eat more to lose' and women eating 2000 cals per day ) and most of those ladies are all shapes and sizes and losing eating quite a bit.

Anyway thanks for the feedback!
  • mthompson113
    Options
    I have been onb this site for a while and have shared but nobody reaponds. I am hoping this will be different. I am at my ropes end. I had gastric bypass 3 years ago and 1 year after the surgery I had lost one hundred pounds. I was feeling so good that I got a job and went back to school. Since then I have regained almost 50 pounds. I have tried to diet to relose the weight but nothing happens. I got so that all I could think about was getting in all my protien and what I was going to eat next. I had to stop dieting because I was obsessed. I want so badly to lose the weight because I am scared of going back to what I was. (I"m almost there again) My question is, how do you order your intake without becoming obsessive and stressed? What diet works and why isn't the 1200 - 1700 calorie range working for me?:noway:
  • Sublog
    Options

Thank you for the feedback.
    The bodymedia is supposed to be 95% accurate and it corresponds to burns I get with my HRM as well. I do weigh on a digital scale using grams. I hadnt been eating back exercise cals then I did. Tried changing things up with macros and that didnt seem to change anything

I dont think 2500-3000 is high for a woman. there are quite a lot of people on this site (2 groups 'eat more to lose' and women eating 2000 cals per day ) and most of those ladies are all shapes and sizes and losing eating quite a bit.

Anyway thanks for the feedback!

I really can't help beyond what I've already mentioned. My only other advice is to start eating 1500 calories per day, do not eat back your workout calories. Do this for 3 weeks. If you still haven't lost weight I'd be surprised.

But in general most everyone sucks at counting calories, even dieticians. If you're not losing weight and are healthy, you pretty much have two options. Eat less or move more. :(

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=379
  • Sublog
    Options
    I have been onb this site for a while and have shared but nobody reaponds. I am hoping this will be different. I am at my ropes end. I had gastric bypass 3 years ago and 1 year after the surgery I had lost one hundred pounds. I was feeling so good that I got a job and went back to school. Since then I have regained almost 50 pounds. I have tried to diet to relose the weight but nothing happens. I got so that all I could think about was getting in all my protien and what I was going to eat next. I had to stop dieting because I was obsessed. I want so badly to lose the weight because I am scared of going back to what I was. (I"m almost there again) My question is, how do you order your intake without becoming obsessive and stressed? What diet works and why isn't the 1200 - 1700 calorie range working for me?:noway:

Far too many variables and not enough info to answer your question. I'll admit, I was obsessed about weight loss. But it didn't stress me out.

What diet works? The diet which is sustainable and repeatable and one that delivers results. It doesn't really matter what type of foods you eat. All diets work exactly the same way.

By reducing your calories.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html
  • mystry11
    mystry11 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi yah I'm a female who has to loose 100 pounds I suffered an injury below my knee fell down some steps split it open twice I'm okay now some pain but I have a lot of water below my knees in my legs that gives me some grief and swelling Any tips for reducing the water I have been to doctors and they did recommend taking pills to help but it will stuff up my kidneys so I didn't take them I have orders some compression socks to i go for walks and use the bike as well ...any advice much appreciated thanks a kiwi from new Zealand :smile:
  • Sublog
    Options
    Hi yah I'm a female who has to loose 100 pounds I suffered an injury below my knee fell down some steps split it open twice I'm okay now some pain but I have a lot of water below my knees in my legs that gives me some grief and swelling Any tips for reducing the water I have been to doctors and they did recommend taking pills to help but it will stuff up my kidneys so I didn't take them I have orders some compression socks to i go for walks and use the bike as well ...any advice much appreciated thanks a kiwi from new Zealand :smile:

My hands and feet would swell when I was overweight.. It diminished as I lost weight. I can't really help you with this question, but I would suggest that losing weight will reduce swelling.
  • thistime38
    Options
    Hey there! :) I am 38 female and want to lose about 50lbs. What amount of cardio do you think i should be doing per week and for how long. Also the same questions for weight training. Also im really trying to wrap my head around the the whole BMR thing. I am eating my 1200 calories a day and sometime all if not most of my calories burned through excerise.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    So (unless I misunderstood) it looks like you directly work abs. I've read multiple places that it's unnecessary when you do heavy compound lifts because, well, you can't not use your abs when squatting/pressing/doing chins. I used to do a lot of ab work but have stopped since I started lifting because of that advice. Why do you directly work abs? Do you think it's worthwhile for everyone, or only those with low bf%?
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'll bite... When you first started, did you use a heart rate monitor to find how many calories burnt or did you just log your exercise on here using their calories burnt? If you didn't use a HRM, do you now? What brand do you recommend? Can you tell I'm in search of a reliable HRM? haha I log the exercise on here, but I don't rely on it nor do I eat back those calories. I've heard too many things like it's not very accurate, but really what is?

Another thing, what exercises did you start off doing?
  • Sublog
    Options
    Hey there! :) I am 38 female and want to lose about 50lbs. What amount of cardio do you think i should be doing per week and for how long. Also the same questions for weight training. Also im really trying to wrap my head around the the whole BMR thing. I am eating my 1200 calories a day and sometime all if not most of my calories burned through excerise.

Cardio is not really needed for weight loss per se, but it does help increase calorie burn and improve hear/lung function.

Weight training is simple. 3 times per week, working your entire body, focusing on compound movements (multi-joint)

Cardio is on as needed/wanted basis. I'd probably suggest 1-2 per week with a weigh training schedule and use your diet to create the energy deficit.
  • Sublog
    Options
    So (unless I misunderstood) it looks like you directly work abs. I've read multiple places that it's unnecessary when you do heavy compound lifts because, well, you can't not use your abs when squatting/pressing/doing chins. I used to do a lot of ab work but have stopped since I started lifting because of that advice. Why do you directly work abs? Do you think it's worthwhile for everyone, or only those with low bf%?

I do directly work abs, especially while I'm bulking. I do not think it's necessary for most people (assuming you're doing deads/squats/chins), but since I have more fat cells/stubborn fat than most due to he fact I was morbidly obese with a 60+" waist, I need more help in my abs department.