Does anyone agree with the rule : No carbs at night ?

Options

Replies

• Wheelie_UK
    Options
    I might be the exception, since I am diabetic, but if I have have had a day with lots of excercise I sometimes NEED to eat at night in order to ensure the blood sugars do not dip too low.

Under normal, routine circumstances, I would not, normally, eat after 6pm, but it is by no means a hard and fast rule. It all depends on whatever else I have had to eat during the day and how active a day it has been. Eating at night definitely makes you feel more sluggish when you wake in the morning. That said I think, if you watch the calories, there really isnt a limit on WHEN you eat. Just WHAT you eat. For example, eating something with loads of carbs would keep me awake all night. Something like a 1/4 Apple would be ok after a couple of hours.
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    If you have to, make sure they are complex carbs and go easy. Protein is better, especially if you are working out. your body will use it to repair and build muscle and tissues.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Lots of nights I eat a big bowl of hot oatmeal before I go to bed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "Any time is a good time for pie." - Fabian, Pulp Fiction.

I concur.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Nope..complete myth :)
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My doctor did recommend avoiding night carbs. Generally, I am trying to cut back on carbs altogether, so it helps keep it in my mind.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I do to a degree but I don't practice it. Sometimes I have air popped popcorn at night and I've been losing. I think what matters more is what kind of carbs you are eating and how many you are eating.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I stick with 'No women at night'
  • ssstefanieee
    ssstefanieee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This last few weeks I limited carbs after 4PM and I have broken through my plateau and reached my goal weight...so yes, it has worked for me recently.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl, I could never avoid them.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I personally do just fine eating carbs at night, It's all about balance.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Nope, I eat them right up to bedtime.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs with most meals, but admit I have lightened up on the heavy carbo dinners of late... and finally, had a loss!
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Here's what happened in my personal weight loss experience over the past year (and I've really been paying attention to this because I wanted to know the answer to your question)

When I don't have any carbs after lunch, I notice a big difference on the scale on subsequent days (this is assuming that I'm am eating a healthy diet full of veggies and protein in the evening). When I do have carbs in the evening as opposed to the morning, I notice in subsequent days that I weight the same or I go up a pound. This could totally be attributed to water retention, though.

I like what Bob Harper has to say about it in his book The Skinny Rules. Carbs are meant to give you energy, so if you eat them in the evening and just sit around and then go to bed, then that energy gets stored (converted into fat). So it's better to eat "fuel" food throughout the day, when you need it for energy.

But if you workout at night, I don't think it matters.

Brendan Brazier argues the opposite though, but he is a triathlete who burns MAD calories every day, and needs fuel constantly.
  • Hama900
    Hama900 Posts: 25
    Options
    Carbs = energy, I would personally avoid them

Try to eat Casein protein and some healthy fats if your really craving for a snack, like cottage cheese + some walnuts.
    Eating carbs and then sleeping will only turn it into fat.
  • Hama900
    Hama900 Posts: 25
    Options
    Carbs = energy, I would personally avoid them at night*
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In Bob Harpers Skinny Rules he says no carbs after 2pm. I tried it for a week.and lost 5pounds. It was pretty tough though so I just stuck to salads w / chicken or fish!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm stuck between cap n crunch crunch berries or cinnamon toast crunch cereal tonight