Can't commit - anyone else experience this?

Options
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and trying to get myself back into the swing of being healthy.
It seems I can do this for a few days and do everything very well and even see some pounds lost!
But somehow I stop after a few days and undo any success I previously had.

Did anyone else experience this in their journey? Is it a commitment flaw or am I just fighting some very hard-to-break habits?

Any tips on how to beat this and to commit 100% to a new lifestyle would be great!!

thanks!

Replies

• Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It has to be exactly that...a lifestyle. Don't think of it as a diet or you will fail for sure, because you limit yourself on your food and then you binge. Make it routine. Make it a habit. Like brushing your teeth or making your bed. Just because its the weekend do you stop brushing your teeth and making your bed? Do you stop brushing your hair just because its the weekend? No, you do all those things because its habit, a routine.
    Another thing, how bad do you want to be healthy or lose weight? Your body can't change if you don't change your habits. If you always do what you always did, you will always be what you always were. Period.
    So if you want it...go get it! work for it!
    Put it this way...
    You don't get it by STARING
    You don't get it by WISHING
    You don't get it by DROOLING
    You don't get it by HOPING
    You don't get it EASY
    You get it by
    Getting off your *kitten*
    WORKING for it
    EVERY SECOND
    of EVERYDAY
    for the rest of your LIFE.

I have this pinned beside my computer monitor, beside my dresser mirror, inside my lunch tote, its everywhere! To remind me, that if I want to change my appearance and my health, then this is what I have to do. Period.

Hope this helps, but in the end you have to do what works for YOU. And this works for me.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yep it's up to you. I would say just about every person has done the yo yo diet plan most of their life. Like it has been said this is a "LIFESTYLE" you can't think of it as a diet, quick fix. It's learning how to balance the healthy food (which you know you need to eat) with the unhealthy food (which we all LOVE to eat). You can still splurge and have a treat but you need to work it into you calories and after a while it will be become 2nd nature. Good luck, you will know when your ready for this extreamly hard but very rewarding journey. "If it were easy everyone would be fit" a quote from my husbans after I started to complain that it was to hard!! LOL
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You don't want it bad enough...yet. When you make a healthy lifestyle a priority in your life, you'll find your level of commitment will rise to the challenge.
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I did the same, on and off for a long time. This time, I am serious. I think you have to eat, sleep and breathe it. Make it your #1 priority and obsession
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems staying within my food goals. But, your eating issue sounds similar to my tobacco issue. I agree that you have to want it bad enough before you are ready because you have to change your lifestyle, including your buying habits, and you have to fully commit or it won't work. I can empathize though.
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've been there! It can be really difficult and frustrating to make a lot of changes all at once and that can wear down your commitment. Try changing a few small things at a time...like limiting how much you eat out per week or substituting water for other sugary drinks. Once you get the hang of those things and they become second nature, add in a few more changes. Eventually you'll translate all of your unhealthy habits into healthier alternatives. Doing it slowly may help to limit your frustration. It was important for me to remember that it took years of unhealthy habits for me to gain the weight, so it's going to take awhile for me to lose it. Best of luck!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    only if your lazy:noway: . you have to fight. and its work.:huh:
  • AnR28
    AnR28 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for putting this into perspective! The thing that gets me is that I already have healthy habits - I don't drink soda (never really liked them), I eat out once or twice a week and always choose healthy sides (nothing fried, ever). I think my problem is portions, so learning how to control them is very, very difficult!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Some of us drive an hour to work daily and are on our feet logging 16k steps a day.
    We get up an hour early to workout and preplan our meals a day in advance.

When you are ready then join us!
    =D

Maybe you dont understand the numbers part?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I've found that the biggest problem I had when starting out was I changed too much too quickly. After the third or fourth time of faltering, I finally decided to change smaller things. If portion size is your problem, that one is actually pretty easy to fix. When ever you go to portion something out for yourself, go ahead and put as much as you usually do on your plate. Then take half of that and put it back in the pan or in a Tupperware bowl for tomorrow's lunch or dinner. Fill the void with a piece of fruit, but only after you have eaten your meal and moved on with your day. I lost my first 25 lbs or so just by not going back for seconds at dinner.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you for putting this into perspective! The thing that gets me is that I already have healthy habits - I don't drink soda (never really liked them), I eat out once or twice a week and always choose healthy sides (nothing fried, ever). I think my problem is portions, so learning how to control them is very, very difficult!

I found that portion control was the easiest, start measuring & weighing everything. Give yourself some type of low cal snacks in between your main meals. :smile: You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate. Or, try dividing your plate into 3 sections. Lean Protien (such as chicken, fish, lean beef), veggies/salad, and your carbs such as sweet potato, or brown rice. Once your plate is finished thats it. And drink plenty of water throughout the day to help curb hunger and to keep everything moving through your system. Keeps metabolism going and you don't get dehydrated. Often you will find that if your hungry its your body's way of something I need some H2o, its getting dehydrated.
  • AnR28
    AnR28 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great tips!

I also know that carbs take up too much % of my diet, any tips on how to limit your carbs (i.e. I'm talking breads of any kind and pasta like mac N cheese on occasion). I was on a severe diet several years ago where I went months without any type of majorly processed carb (no breads, no pastas, hardly any fruits). I went into prolonged ketosis and had yellowing of my skin around my mouth and fingers!! My doctor thought I was hurting my liver too much and I slowly let those foods back into my diet. Now that they are back in full force, I am afraid to let them go again. I was the lightest in terms of weight I had ever been, but I clearly was not healthy.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat ....life just always seems to get in the way....bad habits of my own and my family knocking a ***** in my resolve every week but I am not going to give up....one day at a time...one change at a time til I get it right ...is my new mantra :) you can do this...I can do this...we all can do this...one day at a time...we give ourselves goals but dont give up if you dont make each goal at the given time...rome wasnt built in a day and we are human,,,,give yourself the room to make mistakes and learn from them :)
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we've all fallen off the wagon here and there but you have to ask yourself.. like I do everytime I think of just eating what I want to, "Do I really want to give up everything I worked my *kitten* off for, for this one thing!?" It's so easy to put on but really hard to get off. I've had a few slip ups here and there. But I have been noticing myself feeling more guilty about it each time, so I cut it out and get back on track immediately! :) It's up to you and what you want. I don't want to see my progress disappear after I worked hard for it, do you?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

Portions were my problem too. I bought a digital food scale from target and use it every day. I also am constantly using measuring cups and spoons. I never guess, not yet. It really put things into perspective for me about how much I was overeating.
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    My first goal was just to log everything, I didn't worry about being over anything. I had no idea what a portion was or how many calories I was eating. After a few weeks of seeing how bad my current diet was, I started to naturally curve what and how much I was eating. I'm not sure when it happened, but it did...
  • x_danaa
    x_danaa Posts: 4
    Options
    I can never commit to it! First day is okay, you know, breakfast, lunch, dinner. But after that, I tend to think 'ahh, **** this, I'll lose weight another time' and then I binge.

D: It's so annoying.....
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    I struggle as well. I do good a couple of days, then I get thrown a curve ball. My curve ball is usually my very unsupportive husband. School starts back up after labor day and I get a new schedule at work, and I am hoping that once we get that routine going, I can get back into it. It is hard, but I keep plugging away at it!
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Great tips!

I also know that carbs take up too much % of my diet, any tips on how to limit your carbs (i.e. I'm talking breads of any kind and pasta like mac N cheese on occasion). I was on a severe diet several years ago where I went months without any type of majorly processed carb (no breads, no pastas, hardly any fruits). I went into prolonged ketosis and had yellowing of my skin around my mouth and fingers!! My doctor thought I was hurting my liver too much and I slowly let those foods back into my diet. Now that they are back in full force, I am afraid to let them go again. I was the lightest in terms of weight I had ever been, but I clearly was not healthy.

Carbs are not bad. Your body uses carbs to function. TOO MUCH CARBS is bad just like too much of anything is bad. It's all about balance. Whenever you eat, look at your plate, do you have an array of different types of food (different veggies, starch, protiens, fats, etc) or is it just overloaded with starch and a little protein and maybe a tiny bit of veggie?

It's all about balance.