Horrible Run

Options
I set out this morning to run about 5-1/2 miles (normal for me) but, after 3 miles, I was so fatigued, I had to walk. I NEVER do that. I know that the heat sucked the energy right out of me, but regardless, it's so unlike me not to finish a run. I had no pain -- just fatigue. I managed to run/walk the last stretch but, I was very disappointed in myself. I can't handle the heat but now that the kids are back in school (plus the fact the sun is coming up later), I have no choice but to run later in the morning as opposed to when the sun comes up (like I did all Summer). Any suggestions? Would it help to drink more water the night before a run? Or is fatigue not necessarily a hydration issue?

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Was it hotter than you've been used to the past few weeks?
    Did you eat much less than normal for breakfast or for dinner last night?
    Are you sleep-deprived?
    Have you recently ramped up your training a lot?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    First of all, bad runs just happen from time to time, so don't worry too much. Some days your legs just don't want to cooperate, or your brain is just not into it. However, if you try again and the same thing happens, it might be due to heat. I find that I struggle to run as well when the temps are above 75 degrees. If I must run and its hot out, I take a bottle of water from the freezer with me. It can help to run cold water over your wrists.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Lots of water the day before always helps, but sometimes you just have to chalk it up to a 'bad' run. They will happen, and you just need to move on. Don't beat yourself up about it and get out there with renewed vigor tomorrow! :)
    Or perhaps you need a day off....that's always a possiblity too. I try to get out almost everyday, and find that I feel stronger the day after I skip a day.
    Don't stress about it....you got out there and that's awesome! Happy running!!
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree, bad runs can just happen from time to time. Don't worry you haven't lost it. I found that hydrating throughout the week with some electrolytes helps a bit when the temp gets up there.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I ran during our triple digit heat wave over the Summer, BUT started at 5:30 A.M, so I "beat" the heat so to speak. Now, I can't get out that early. I had a banana before going out (I prefer to eat afterwards), and plenty of sleep. Training is the same. I don't bring water since I consider these "short" runs. Should I drink while running? I'm afraid I would cramp?
  • zakadoodle
    Options
    Fatigue can be a hydration issue but if you feel or know you've had enough water then that might not be it. Good luck.
  • MinigirlKd
    Options
    It is important to remember that bad runs make the good runs that much better...keep your chin up and carry on...
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestion of electrolytes. I will try that. Thank you everyone for your help. I will try not to beat myself up, but, I can't help but think I was doing something wrong. Thanks again! :smile:
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had a super crappy run yesterday too. I set out to run 3 miles and had to stop after 1.5. I was super tired and just felt sick. The sun was out and it was so miserable and muggy. :(
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    First of all, bad runs just happen from time to time, so don't worry too much. Some days your legs just don't want to cooperate, or your brain is just not into it. However, if you try again and the same thing happens, it might be due to heat. I find that I struggle to run as well when the temps are above 75 degrees. If I must run and its hot out, I take a bottle of water from the freezer with me. It can help to run cold water over your wrists.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know the heat kills my endurance. The first 90 degree day this summer I was over a minute slower per mile than my usual time. When I have to run when it is hot, I purposely run a slower pace, which allows me run my normal distance, just in a longer time. Also make sure you drink plenty of water before and afterwards.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    [deleted as someone else already covered slowing down in the heat...]

...but yeah, bad runs just happen sometimes. Shrug it off and if it happens again you'll know it was the heat for sure.
  • delta90017
    Options
    I have lots of bad runs; at least one every ten days.

I drink water and switch to run/walk (6:1) for a portion of the run. I can usually then finish the run after a few of those intervals. sometimes faster pacing will also break the lethargy. When you find out how to fix it, let us know :)
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm not to the level you are yet, but this reminds me a story my chiropractor told me once. He's a runner...usually upwards of ten miles on a normal run.

He told me of the time his wife and kids were knocked down with the flu but he had escaped it...or so he thought.

He was on a run where he just couldn't get the distance like he usually did. He felt tired and blah, and couldn't figure out what the deal was.

Then he realized that he probably HAD gotten the same virus his family had, but because he lived a healthier lifestyle, it didn't knock him for a loop like the others. But his body was too busy fighting the infection to focus on the run.

Maybe with the kids back in school, they've brought something home that your body is trying to fight off?
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I have a real lemon of a run maybe once a month. Usually a perfect storm of not enough water prior, horrible night's sleep, splurging on junk food, etc. It happens. Maybe take a day off and hit it with a renewed vengeance tomorrow.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    As a person that lives in the desert, heat can cause exhaustion even if you are well hydrated. Earlier this month we had a few weeks where it was consistently close to 115 every day. I normally work outside but spent most of the days doing paperwork in the office. The only time I spent outside was moving my equipment from the office to my truck, transferring my equipment from my truck to my car, and walking into the gym. I was so exhausted from the heat I barely worked out for 30 minutes before calling it quits. You will eventually get used to it, but I suspect it will probably start cooling off pretty soon. I would try to do your more intense workouts on the weekends and do shorter workouts during the week. It should cool off soon enough for you to enjoy your runs again!
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bad runs sometimes happen to good people.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Like a whole lot of other people said, sometimes bad runs happen and the reason is a mystery. Don't worry about it unless it happens two or three times in a row. Then try and pinpoint the cause.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this is the first time?

My experience is that this happens from time to time. There are days when 10K is a breeze. Then there are days when I struggle to hit 8k!

I have not yet figured out why!

My guesses are - hydration, fatigue, pace, etc. etc.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I bring my Nathan Quickdraw 22oz on every run, though as I've improved, I'm realizing I don't actually need it unless I'm out for 10K+. Even a little sip of ice cold water seems to rejuvinate me just a bit. May be worth a shot.