Fearing C25K Wk5D3

Options
Today, right after work, I'm going home to face day 3 of C25K week 5. This is the first long run - 20 minutes, no walking breaks. Up until now, the longest run was 8 minutes.

I'm considering not leaving work. Ever.

Seriously, this is just intimidating the crap out of me. Tell me I can do it.

Replies

• Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    You can do it! If I can do it, I think anybody can. Just don't psych yourself out. I found with me it's 99% mental. If I think I can't do it, then I won't. Just listen to some good tunes and before you know it, the time will be up. :smile:
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm only on week 2 so I really can't give you advice other than to say JUST DO IT! ;-)
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Five weeks ago the 8 minutes straight would have been intimidating. Think how far you've come already. You got this!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I dreaded that day as well; for like a week before. It's tough, I'm not gonna lie. But if you've been following the program thus far, you absolutely can do it!!! Just think of how great you'll feel afterwards. Don't worry about your pace and slow down if you have to, but don't stop! I know you can do it.

And I expect to see a post from you later today letting us all know that you DID IT!!
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Trust that the previous weeks' workouts have prepared you.

When I did C25K, I was surprised at how well the progression worked.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The first long run is all mental. Find a mantra, playlist, book on tape, whatever. Don't think about how long you're running for, focus on maintaining a constant speed. If you get out of breath, slow down, but KEEP GOING.

I'm on week 8. It gets easier. :)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    You can do it :smile: I was scared the morning I was going to do it myself and it's not as tough as you'll make it seem in your mind. Before you know it, it'll be over and you'll get to say you finished week 5-which is a great feeling! :drinker:
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I did C25K, I actually avoided doing it for 3 days, but when I finally got to courage to go for it I was amazed how quickly the time went by when I did it. You'll be so proud of yourself afterwards
  • SirRunningShorts
    SirRunningShorts Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! Like it was said previously, it is just about getting your head wrapped around it. Just remind yourself that it is just one foot in front of the other, one step at a time, 20 mins of that and you are done.

You are going to be SOOOO proud once you are done! (High Five)
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I was so scared of that week I did day 1&2 for 2 weeks. I finally said ok and tried. I did it so can you! I am now starting wk 9.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Running, 10 % physical 90% mental. Get in a good frame of mind and go out there and do it.

Even if at some point you feel like you need to take a quick walk break- that is okay.

Just know that as intimidated as you might be- 5 weeks ago, you started from nothing, and look at where you are now.
  • echo2
    echo2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I spent days and days fearing w5d3. The farthest you've ran before is 8 minutes, how do they expect you to do 20 minutes suddenly, right?!
    You're ready. If you've been following the program, you can do it. You will feel awesome afterwards. Just stop telling yourself you can't do it. It was my biggest breakthrough so far, because once I'd done that, I really felt like the only thing holding me back was my thoughts. This day is, for the most part, a psychological challenge. Go beat it.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I started C25K on May 20th....now I am running 6 to 7 miles every other day and loving every moment of it. The progression seems like a huge jump but it is not going to be a problem for you!!! Let us know how it goes.....BTW running is way better than staying at work - LOL.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Do not look at the time. Do not look at the time. Get your most favorite, kick *kitten*, you run the world songs together and jam out. Do not look at the time.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • isabellecmiranda
    isabellecmiranda Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you will be fine! look at how far you've come. LEAVE WORK. do it. and then... once you have completed that beastly run, no one and nothing can stop you from moving forward. GOOD FOR YOU! im happy you've made it this far and it gives me hope. I am starting week 3 tomorrow. so, be my inspiration will ya!?!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    That workout was the turning point for me in the program! Just take your time, go for the time and not the distance and I think in the end you will be surprised how well you do.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My first day I thought I was going to die (literally) ...

Last week I ran 10 miles.

You so got this! :) ... honestly, that first 10 minutes is always the hardest ... you may even be thinking as you hit 10 minutes, "10 more minutes?!" ... it's all mind over matter ... after a while your body will switch into "oh, we're going to do this for a while? I'll hit cruise control then" mode ...

HONESTLY ... intervals are way harder ... I think it's much easier to just run and not stop, than to do the run walk thing ... don't kill yourself with speed, pace yourself, and you got this ...

Remember that first 8 minutes you ran? Did you quietly (or loudly) scream to yourself, I did it? ... just wait until you hit 20 :) ...

I'm literally excited for you as I write this!

~Matt
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Have your music playing... Mind over matter. U can do it.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    That's the run I have to do tonight!! I'm trying to stay positive but...yeah :ohwell:

I'll keep you in my thoughts if you keep me in yours :)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I always hated when folks say "if I can do it, you can do it" but that is true coming from me.

I couldn't run a block when I started that program. Now I have run two half marathons!