Sunny-Side Up: In Defense of Eggs

Options
Interesting article in The Atlantic. Amazing that there still is no real consensus on the health effects of egg consumption. I, for one, will continue to eat them.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/08/sunny-side-up-in-defense-of-eggs/261600/

Replies

• trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Good to hear, since I eat about a dozen eggs each week, through omlets, hard boiled, and recipes. It's totally my back up meal when there's nothing else to eat.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I LOVE EGGS! The WHOLE thing!!!

My favorite breakfast:
    1 whole wheat pita cut in 2
    2 eggs + mixed veggies + cheese of some sort + salsa = instant delish ready to go anywhere breakfast!
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Not criticising anyone's choices but I never got people who only eat the white of the egg, the yolks the best bit :). I eat eggs quite a bit, omelettes, scrambled, boiled and occasionally fried.
  • karennicholsss
    karennicholsss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just boiled a dozen eggs and put then in a mason jar filled with vinegar!

Mmmm.....pickled eggs!

I eat them daily.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in whole natural foods, eggs included. Butter over margarine anyday. The FDA changes its recommendations on the whim of whoever has donated the most money recently.

I love eggs. Yolks are awesome for shiny hair and strong nails. Two of my new favorite ways to cook them: Mash 1 banana, mix well with 2 eggs, pour in hot greased skillet. 2-ingredient banana pancakes! 265 calories, 18 g of protein, $.40 for the whole recipe. The second way is poached in tomato sauce. Heat 1 cup of sauce in a skillet, when it bubbles, crack in two eggs. Cover for 5-6 minutes. Serve over a baked potato, toast, spinach, pasta, rice - whatever. So yummy!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Not criticising anyone's choices but I never got people who only eat the white of the egg, the yolks the best bit :). I eat eggs quite a bit, omelettes, scrambled, boiled and occasionally fried.

I use to be the same way, but since I started eating more of the whites, say 6 egg whites and one whole egg scrambled, the texture of 2-3 whole eggs scrambled seems a bit off to me. Plus, you can boost your protein intake from a natural source without the fat. I eat 6 egg whites and one whole egg every morning for breakfast, I can't imagine the difference in calories if I were to eat 7 whole eggs every day.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in whole natural foods, eggs included. Butter over margarine anyday. The FDA changes its recommendations on the whim of whoever has donated the most money recently.

I love eggs. Yolks are awesome for shiny hair and strong nails. Two of my new favorite ways to cook them: Mash 1 banana, mix well with 2 eggs, pour in hot greased skillet. 2-ingredient banana pancakes! 265 calories, 18 g of protein, $.40 for the whole recipe. The second way is poached in tomato sauce. Heat 1 cup of sauce in a skillet, when it bubbles, crack in two eggs. Cover for 5-6 minutes. Serve over a baked potato, toast, spinach, pasta, rice - whatever. So yummy!

Great new recipies! Thanks.
    But when one is diagnosed with high cholesterol (265) does one stop eating eggs and butter?
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast:
    2 eggs scrambled together with sliced portabello mushrooms, diced green onions, shredded cheddar and salsa. Wow...delish!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Love eggs! This is a great article, I'm curious to see the results of the MIT study. The yolk is most definitely the best part of the egg!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    By Lewis Black
    When I was a kid, eggs were good. So I ate a lot of eggs.10 years later they said they were bad, and I went, "well, I just ate the eggs!!?!??!!" So I stopped eating eggs, then 10 years later they were good again. So I ate twice as many eggs, then they said they were bad. Well now I'm really fvcked! Then they said they're good, they're bad, they're good, the whites are good, the yellows.... MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!! It's breakfast, I gotta eat!
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Love 'em! I eat an egg almost every morning as part of my breakfast. I eat them anytime of the day. I looooove hard boiled egg whites, yet I'm not so fond of the yolks! Its the texture that gets me. One of my favorite go to dinner's for my family that everyone will eat - including a picky 6 year old and a "I can't stop to eat I'm too busy playing" 3 year old.. Make a quiche (or whatever you want to call it) I saute any leftover veggies or chop up some new ones, add 4 whole eggs and a couple of whites, cook it on the stove top for a few minutes, then pop it in the oven until its set. Delicious! Now I'm hungry for this!!! LOL
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options

Honestly I left the same way before. But when I made my first egg white omelette I understood why. The yummy part of the egg is the yolk, I completely agreed. But when I made a veggie omelette with egg whites, the veggie flavor is what shined through. If I am having something like scrabbled eggs, it has to be a full egg because just egg white is sort of blah.

Once of my wife's favorite breakfasts I make is my breakfast burrito. Egg whites loaded with veggies, country potatoes, meat (usually bacon or ham) and reduced fat shredded cheese. YUMMY!
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I may not have gotten the "eat anything and stay thin" genes, but I got good cholesterol genes. (Always freaks new doctors out when they see 375 lb me and check the levels to find what they usually only see in vegetarians) And, since I have trouble getting enough calories and protein, I am going to go ahead and keep eating eggs.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Love eggs! This may sound a lil' gross but I will eat a fried egg over my oatmeal w/ a bit of bacon bits, for something different (and savory). :smile:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Eggs are really good and I like them. But when I had My CHOLESTEROL levels checked and My LDL (BAD) was borderline, I began to TRACK among other things My Cholesterol Intake... Do you know that the MAX Cholesterol per day is 300 mg, and that ONE SMALL EGG has 260 mg!!! SO, YOU decide what is BEST for YOU; I now eat EGG WHITES, this is where all of the Protein is, as well as what is needed for Baking and binding. So what good is the "Yoke/embryo" for health and culinary purposes?
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My Chicken's lay the best eggs! As you can see from my profile pic. They are so delicious and the poach beautifully! Local fresh eggs are the best. And I eat the whole thing, no separating whites from yolks! And I had high cholesterol before I lost my weight and it has gone way down now and I eat eggs!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just boiled a dozen eggs and put then in a mason jar filled with vinegar!

Mmmm.....pickled eggs!

I eat them daily.
    yum, great idea, thanks!
    A hard boiled egg is my go-to for an occasional snack, 78 calories, a single carb and 6g's of protein, the good seems to speak for itself!
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My Chicken's lay the best eggs! As you can see from my profile pic. They are so delicious and the poach beautifully! Local fresh eggs are the best. And I eat the whole thing, no separating whites from yolks! And I had high cholesterol before I lost my weight and it has gone way down now and I eat eggs!
    i have recently started buying local farm fresh, free range eggs, and now store bought regular eggs taste bland to me
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was an issue with eggs.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    VOTE YES TO EGGS 2012!