c25k outside vs. treadmill?

Options
i've been doing the c25k program the last 4 weeks - on a treadmill. i wanted to be able to set a pace (4mph walking, 6mph running) and stick with it, just to prove that i could run 10 minute miles.
but i've been hearing from a lot of people that its harder to run outside. is it time to head out? i also live on a HUGE mountain (vermont = grean mountain state), so the hills would completely throw off my pace. when i do run a 5k, i will be in boston, where it is mostly flat. any thoughts?

Replies

• NoCoolUsername
    NoCoolUsername Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find it a lot harder to run outside, not sure why though!
  • heidithebee
    Options
    Personally it's easier for me to run outside, but that's just because I hate the treadmill.

I have heard that setting your treadmill to an incline of 1 will be closer to the experience of running outside.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is harder to run outside. I heard recently if you set your incline to 1 while running on the treadmill it is comparable to running outside. Don't know if that is true or not, but worth a try.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Outside is easier!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It's harder for me to run outside but I live in South Texas. Normally 100°+ heat in the afternoon.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I have just started running (last week). I ran for 15 min straight @ 5mph on tje treadmill @ the hotel I was at (I do not have one). When I got home & tried to run outside I could not run tje whole 15 min. Now today I did run a mule without stopping in 13 min but was more winded than the 15 min on the treadmill.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way - on the treadmill you have 'assistance' by the belt moving in the opposite direction. Outside, there is no moving belt and more resistance. It is true that you should set your treadmill on a 1% incline. Personllay, I would run outside as much as possible...
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to run outside because I hate being stuck on a treadmill but harder to run outside because the road is different than the flat treadmill (and when I say flat, I mean no rocks, bumps, etc). Running outside (for me at least) makes the time go that much faster too.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Definitely set your incline on your treadmill to 1 or 1.5. When you're on a treadmill its forcing you to move...outside you have to force yourself. Its much harder on the body (IMO) to run outside, BUT much easier on the mind. On a treadmill I'm bored after 10-15 minutes. Outside I've gone as far as 65 minutes.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I did c25k I did it all on the treadmill. But before I did my first 5k race I was sure to hit the pavement for a while. For me, running outside was a bit harder as I'm not able to control my pace as well (working on that one currently), and there are little inclines and what not outside. Where as on a treadmill, it is all an even surface. I would try some out door running before the race, but that's just my humble opinion - and I am in no way an expert. Lol. Good luck!
  • CherylR165
    Options
    Running outside is totally different from running on a treadmill. I completed the C25K program on the treadmill and scheduled my first 5K race for the last day of the program. I quickly regretted that move! The shock of running on asphalt and concrete radiated PAIN through my legs, hips, and back! I literally stopped running about 100 yards into the race! I gathered my thoughts and finished the race, but that was a very long 3 miles! Adding an incline of 1% on the treadmill will help you approximate the resistance of running outside. On a 0% incline, the treadmill is doing half the work for you. However, the hills are the best test. Anybody can run fast on a flat course, but if you can handle hills, you can handle just about any course. Running outside is also more challenging because of weather conditions (hot, cold, humidity, fog), the changing grade (uphill, downhill, flat, curves, etc) of the road and obstacles (debris, animals, traffic).
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of doing my initial C25K training on a treadmill, set to a 0 incline. The first outside run I did killed me. I think I ran about .75 mile v the 3 miles I was able to do on the treadmill. I quickly learned the incline "trick" and started incorporating more outside runs as well.

I still prefer a treadmill, but mostly because it's easy to pace myself and see where I'm at in the run. I do set it at a 2 or 3 incline though.
  • jwilson2001
    jwilson2001 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the c25k as well. I am on week 6. I have alway heard that running outside is harder. I have been using the treadmill at the gym by my work so that I force myself to keep a set pace, etc. Last week, I ended up having to do Day 3 at home, which meant going outside! IT WAS HARD!! I think it's because the treadmill forces you to keep a pace because it is moving and outside you have to will yourself to keep moving! I do agree with others, I have the incline set at 2.0 on the treadmill just to provide some type of "resistance". I plan to finish the app on the treadmill and then start it over outside....
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Physically, if you are a new runner, it's harder to run outside, because you have to learn how to pace yourself, and you have a lot more variation in incline, temperature, humidity, etc.
    Mentally, it is much easier than running on a treadmill. You feel like you're actually going somewhere and you get to enjoy your surroundings. Plus the transitions from walking to running are a lot more natural when you do them outside.
    I also live in a hilly area. When I did C25k, I decided to run outside in week 6, and I had to go back to week 4, but it was totally worth it. Now I only get on a dreadmill if it's absolutely disgusting outside.
  • hock1972
    hock1972 Posts: 12
    Options
    Really, it depends on the individual. Some as you see on here... it is easier to run/walk outside.

As a rule of thumb though, most find the treadmill a lot easier. I do. The treadmill moves the ground for you. So, you are basically lifting your feet and putting them back down again. The treadmill propels for you. Outside, the grounds doesn't move. You need to propel yourself forward and that takes energy/effort. Plus, there are other outside inluences that can affect you physically... like heat, humidity etc. Then again the scenery is nicer outside than in a house or gym usually and that can be a motivator. But, overall, yes... the treadmill is easier than outside.

Someone else mentioned, and it is true, that raising the incline to 1 or 2 on your treadmill can cause you to use more effort and give you a better feel for how you would do outside. Good luck.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have to do W5D3 today. Up until last week, I had run every time on the treadmill due to it being about 115 degrees outside. ALL. SUMMER. LONG. I worked up to a pretty good pace, and felt really comfortable with the progression. Then last week because of some scheduling issues, I ended up running in the park while my kids had soccer practice.

I. ALMOST. DIED.

Okay, so that was a bit dramatic, but seriously. It was SOOO much harder for me. Between the heat, and the sun blaring in your face, and the bugs, and the hills - I BARELY made it through my first 5 minute run. I didn't make it through the second. I did finish the third, but it was HARD, and I thought I was going to pass out.

I am running a race in October (actually, 40 days from now) and I am nervous now. I know I need to start running outside so that I can get used to it, because it is a lot different. It was still in the mid 90s here this weekend - so I did go to the gym and run on the treadmill. I didn't want to have a heat stroke! LOL But, I changed the settings on it to where it would change the incline automatically everyso often, to mimic the outside conditions. It made a HUGE difference, and I will be doing that from here on out - IF I have to run inside. My advice, run outside when you can. And to the incline settings on the treadmill.
  • RudyND
    RudyND Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Physically its harder for me outside because of the payment but mainly the elevation makes you work harder. BUT
    I like the outside better because its a TRUE results type thing. The APP I use is "MapMyRun". It regulated by GPS. It will show you all the stats you need while and after you run. It will also show you the elevation of your course you just ran..
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I got bored running on the treadmill so after week 3 I started running outside. It is harder and sometimes I run in areas with hills which I don't have at home, but I love being outside with my music and the fresh air. It is much easier to run on the treadmill in the A/C but outdoors is like conditioning! I would recommend running outside. Yes, it will ruin your pace now but you will get stronger and your run in Boston should seem like a breeze! Plus you'll be used to the impact and air and weather changes of being outdoors.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I do much better on my treadmill than outside. A few weeks ago was my first time running outside, and I thought it was awful. lol I ran much slower outside, than I do on my treadmill.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would agree with people who say it is easier on the body running on a treadmill, but harder on the mind (getting bored).

One thing to consider is there a little bit of cushioning on a treadmill (most anyways) so besides being easier on the cardiovasular system, I think it is a little more gentle on the knees and legs to run on treadmill.